Possible SI bugs (1.1 branch)

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Automaton Dragon

Possible SI bugs (1.1 branch)

Post by Automaton Dragon »

These things are possible bugs but I don't know the behavior in the real SI so I can't say for sure.

1. In Shamino's castle, the ghost of Beatrix does not attack; she just whines a bit and disappears. Someone else on this forum mentioned this also; is she supposed to attack?

2. In the Castle of the White Dragon, I'm pretty sure that monsters are supposed to appear & attack in just about every room, but they only appeared in a couple of rooms. The banes/companions do appear in each room and taunt me.

-TomK aka Automaton Dragon
wjp
Site Admin

Re: Possible SI bugs (1.1 branch)

Post by wjp »

These sound like bugs. Please submit bug reports to our tracker at http://sf.net/bugs/?group_id=2335 (one bug per report)

Thanks
Automaton Dragon

Another one:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've spoken to the Chaos Hierophant yet Xenka won't talk to me about "sacrifice".

According to a walkthrough, I should be able to ask her about it now in order to be chosen to sacrifice myself..
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I'm pretty sure that sacrifice bug is not a bug at all, but something needs to be done first, like talking to someone else first. I was also sure that we discussed this here before but I couldn't find the discussion...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

You need to obtain all three of the balance hierophant artifacts; there's a bug with picking up the serpent staff which was tracked down in the last discussion. If it's picked up 'improperly', the egg doesn't trigger and the game doesn't think you have it.

Neutronium Dragon
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

'Improperly' means either by cheating or by using a very old version of Exult, btw.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

or by picking it from far IIRC

Artaxerxes
Automaton Dragon

Thanks, that seems to have been my problem!
Dino3

Possible SI bug

Post by Dino3 »

I never played SI before, and I don't know if you know this, but when I went south from the starting point, I found a sort of "stairway to heaven", a staircase leading up the mountains! Well, climbing this took me onto the mountains. Really wierd. It was only visible if you walk near the mountains and are at a certain angle from the staircase, so this bug is not easily reproduced.
Dino the Dark Dragon
Webmaster [URL=http://www.shiftedphase.com/~dino/ultima/]Dino's Ultima Page[/URL]
Lead Dialogue writer [url=http://www.exodusmachine.net/~ultima8]U8E[/url] and [url=http://www.e-prizm.com/blackthorn]Adventures of Blackthorn[/url]
Kristoph

Post by Kristoph »

At the very beggining of the game, don't go to the egg that triggers the first teleport storm. Instead, use your torchs and your breads to create a small stair to go up the mountain to the right. Then, go south along the right side of the mountain to avoid the teleport storm egg and pickup the little bow there ;)

Go back by the same way to pick back up your things.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

You can also stack rabbit corpses to build a staircase.
Dino3

Post by Dino3 »

Um... well... actually I really meant there was a REAL staircase up the mountains... a wooden staircase, ready made... is that some sort of bug?
Dino the Dark Dragon
Webmaster [URL=http://www.shiftedphase.com/~dino/ultima/]Dino's Ultima Page[/URL]
Lead Dialogue writer [url=http://www.exodusmachine.net/~ultima8]U8E[/url] and [url=http://www.e-prizm.com/blackthorn]Adventures of Blackthorn[/url]
Dino3

darn bug

Post by Dino3 »

I also got into another bug that made me restart SI after I got to the banquet scene! :(

I saved the game right when I opened the door to the Banquet Hall in Monitor, when the scripted sequence (or whatever you call it) started. When I reloaded, I was stuck there and couldn't move. :(

I had to restart. That's as far as I got in SI.
Dino the Dark Dragon
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

No it isn't a bug (depending on how you were able to get to it), but the real staircase is further south. To get to it without teleporting you can build your own staircase on the north side of the mountains where the game starts.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Ah, you really shouldn't save in any kind of scripted sequence. I guess it's a bug that we allow it.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Stairway at the beggining of SI? I must try that. No matter how many times you play BG and SI you´re always finding new things. The last thing I remember finding and being surprising was that hidden cave on the southern mountains of Ambrosia Isle on BG... and now this. What will be the next?
-Zósite K.S. from Moonlightshadow-
MV

Post by MV »

Maybe you'll stumble upon the hidden room in the caves north of the miners camp in SI. Has a harpsicord, lightning whip, money, etc in it.

Or maybe the legit way to the cave of naked women dancing around the statue to the west of the mad mage isle........

:D
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Maybe... just thinking I don´t like cheating, but sometimes it´s the only way to go... as real life itself... Naked women dancing around a statue?!! Perhaps some members of the U7 original depevelopment team thought the game could be a good way to externalize some behaviours... [:-o)
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

???
ZedAvatar

Another possible SI bug...

Post by ZedAvatar »

When I am supposed to find 3 Mandrake Roots to procure a spellbook, I go to the swamp in Monk's Isle and the roots are nowhere to be found. In Egg View mode, I can see the eggs where the mandrakes are supposed to be, but nothing is there. Is this a bug? or is there another event I'm supposed to trigger before the mandrakes will appear?
Morg

Post by Morg »

you talk to one of the monks and he tells you that inorder to get fresh mandrake you have to go when the salt tides are right. this monk can't tell you a specific time but he'll tell you when its the right time. And luckly (sarcasm) this monk does not have a name. its one of the biggest pains in the --- that this game has
MV

Post by MV »

Zósite, you don't need to cheat to get to those places I mentioned. :)

Did you find the pirate ship in the middle of the ocean in u7BG?

Ummmm..... what else? How about the nice "starter chest" that is just SW of trinsic?

The gauntlets under the rock W of the swamp to the immediate N of trinsic?

The glass sword room on the isle of fire in the love test?

The magebane in the middle of the swap to the E of the great northern forest?

The computer (glowing box), in the pirate's house in SI?

All of the above is without cheating. There is so much more, I could be here all day making a list of all the cool "little things" that are around the place.

Magic boomerangs can kill monsters through walls. :D See, us Aussies invented the wall hack cheat before CS was even thought of. :D

But that stairway thing, I didn't think of using it like it's been mentioned. I found it when I first got the game back in '93, but I always thought it weird it was there. I never thought of using it to climb down off the mountain. :)
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Hey MV!:
I´ve actually found all those things except for the "starter chest", though I don´t know what chest are you talking about. Could you explain it better? Anyway I see you know well both games. The fact is that I must explore the Ultima world better since I want to look for possible bugs or features. I´m sure there´re still a lot of things to discover and "secondary quests" to resolve in such a huge world... and I´ve been playing with it since it was released, it´s my prefered game! I only fear to find them all one of these days. Did you find the key to open the damned metal door at Sean´s jeweller´s shop in Britain?
By the way: could anyone tell me what the hell Guardian´s voice says when you find the chest over the great "X" in the jungle on BG? I have the english version, but I don´t speak english very well and can´t understand anything, not a word, of that speech... [:-))
Himeros Dragon

Post by Himeros Dragon »

He says "I am the Pagan Lord" backwards.

"drol nagap eht ma i"
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Thanks Himeros Dragon!!! At last I know the answer to a question that has been tormenting me for years. I thought it was a bug in the speech which made it to be corrupted but... That´s it: you´re always finding new things in these incredible games! Thanks again! [:-))
Dino3

interesting encounters

Post by Dino3 »

>The fact is that I must explore the Ultima world better since I want to look
>for possible bugs or features. I´m sure there´re still a lot of things to
>discover and "secondary quests" to resolve in such a huge world... and I´ve
>been playing with it since it was released, it´s my prefered game! I only fear
>to find them all one of these days.

I am trying to do the same. On my forum at http://pub63.ezboard.com/bdinosinformationcenter (in the Information forum), I am collecting information about the Ultima games. I think I'll add a thread for interesting encounters.

I'll also start taking note of all the U7 quests some day, it's in my agenda of plans for my website.

I'll also write where to find interesting things and easter eggs. If you guys would let me use the info above (I'll give you credit of course) such as MV's list of cool things, I'd be grateful.
Dino the Dark Dragon
MV

Post by MV »

What I call the starter chest is under a yellow tree to the SW of trinsic. You have to bash it open and it's got magic armor, money, etc in it.

Ever find the note that is in the tower in the middle of ambrosia? It's very tricky to be able to get to cast spells there to get rid of magic locks and such.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

THAT CHEST WAS WONDERFUL!!! Thanks MV! I never saw it before, though I´ve checked that zone many times; it´s difficult to see hidden things like this chest. Yes, I´ve found the diary at Ambrosia´s tower and it was funny ( look at number of days ). But I thought it wasn´t the only good thing in the tower so I became exhausted looking around... for nothing.
MV

Post by MV »

Ok, another thing, reagents.

I personally can find an endless supply of ash, nightshade and spider silk.

Anyone else found others? I tried to find mandrake near the swamps, but I havn't yet.

Speaking of spider silk, there is a magic bow and a bag with arrows in it in that area too.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

I don't know how to get endless supplies. Things like sulfuric ash seem to not always be where they should be when I look. I thought it was random.
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

That chest was new to me as well MV :) Pretty nice. And I was able to actually smash it open, which I was complaining about just a min ago, so never mind my posts about invulnerable treasure chests :)

I'm able to find a few Sulfuric Ash along the west side of the mountains near Trinsinc. It comes back, but I'm not sure if you'd call it endless, I'd rather just kill a few baddies and buy the regs from Mariah myself :)
-Vividos Dragon-
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

Just a thought, is there any way to get into the Locked Weapons room in SH Castle?? I found a hidden key inside a trout body on the table in the mess area, the fish is easily spotted because its the only one thats diferent from the other fish. That didn't open the room... So then what does that key open?

Do you know MV? You seem to be good in these matters :)
-Vividos Dragon-
CheshireKatt

Post by CheshireKatt »

Actually, I can help with that one.

The key in the fish in the kitchen in Serpent's Hold is for a chest found in a cave on an island to the west of Serpent's Hold.

Er, actually, there are two caves on islands west of Serpent's Hold, I can't recall WHICH one it goes to -- one cave is a large cave with a little stream in it and chests at the end, and the other is a tiny cave with quite a few chests, a ghost, and some caltrops that your party gets REALLY mad at you for moving.

In any event, the key unlocks a chest with a key in it -- THAT key opens the armory in Serpent's Hold. Mmm...looting...

--CheshireKatt
MV

Post by MV »

Easiest way I found to open that armory is to go to the west wing in serpent's hold, go to the last room on the bottom, (the smith's room), and pick up the clothes to find the key to the armory.

And with those islands to the west, when you find the one that has sheep on it, and the little fort that has some pirates and a mage in it, before opening or moving anything in the fort, look for a bag that is just visible in the lower right corner near the table. Pick it up first, because it moves under the wall and you can't get it if you open something else first.

The ash reagent sort of randomly respawns along the side of the mountain from the unicorn's cave on the way to destard entrance.
MV

Post by MV »

Forgot to add:

I trust we know about the teleporter behind the chimney on the blacksmith roof in trinsic? :)
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

LOL, thanks MV. And I call myself a treasure hunter!

I thought I had already thrown those clothes onto the floor, so I didn't bother moving them to look for anything cos I thought thats what I already did from the drawer! I have to learn to be tidy myself and put things back in after I rampage through them, so I'll know what I have and haven't messed with :)

I don't bother with the blacksmith's roof, isn't that an "official" cheat?
-Vividos Dragon-
MV

Post by MV »

Yea, it's an official way to get to the cheat room.
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

How was that teleporter first found? Obviously one had to cheat in order to find it, no?
-Vividos Dragon-
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Good question, especially as the egg is not visible even if you turn on the egg view (which was also possible in the original).
But I guess it was found the way most major cheats are found in games: someone who was in the beta testing team or some other team of Origin slipped it to the public.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

Ahh, yes. That seems likly... And after Ultima Online, I wouldn't put anything past Origin.

I've never taken that teleporter to the cheat room before, is it a two way teleporter? Can someone get into the cheat room and trace the teleporter back to the roof?
-Vividos Dragon-
Dino3

Blacksmith chimney teleporter cheat

Post by Dino3 »

The teleporter takes you into the mountains on the northwest Valorian Isle, and the teleporter from there takes you to the mountains near Cove. That's what I found out thanks to F3. :D
Dino the Dark Dragon
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

And the last teleporter stop takes you to a room with many other teleporters and just by the runes on the teleporters you should be able to figure out how to return to Trinsic...
--
Read the Rules!
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

Where in Trinsic toes the teleporter put you?

And something else, I don't know why I just noticed this. But did you guys see the "serpent" on Ambrosia? Its made out of slightly raised terrain, I should have seen it before this time around :)
-Vividos Dragon-
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Here's an idea: use the teleporter to find out exactly how it works and where it goes.
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

Yeah, would be the easiest way wouldn't it. but besides for the increased resolution, I'm not much for cheating :)
-Vividos Dragon-
Morg

Post by Morg »

Actually you can see the egg you just have to use your hack mover power to toss the chimney out of the way

the first teleporter takes you to 0xa7, 0x987

the second teleporter takes you to 0x767, 0x4b7

So let it be writen so let it be done
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

And what about the key to open the door at Sean´s jeweller´s shop in Britain? Has anybody ever seen that damned key? I´ve almost every key of the game but... I want those three golden ingots!! ( without "hack mover power" ) And for the chimney teleporter... Perhaps taking important items like the Prisms or Rudyom´s wand this way could trigger some bugs if you´re trying to complete the game. Has anyone tried it? I didn´t because as I said, I don´t like cheating.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

People have completed the game that way so it shouldn't cause any problems. Those items behave the same way as the originals.
But someone will have to back me up on this because I havn't tried it myself.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

BG doesn't seem to break with cheating like SI seems to do in some cases.
Gileatane Dragon

Re:britain jewellers gold bars

Post by Gileatane Dragon »

And what about the key to open the door at Sean´s jeweller´s shop in Britain? Has anybody ever seen that damned key? I´ve almost every key of the game but... I want those three golden ingots!! ( without "hack mover power" )
I never made it in either Zosite, and i've clocked BG 7 or 8 times.
And that bloody chest at 1007, 2756, 06 ( pirate outpost west of serpents hold ) never got that open either.