An Ultima that should be remade...

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Skutarth

An Ultima that should be remade...

Post by Skutarth »

Ultima Worlds I: The Savage Empire was released for the SNES in Japan only, but insiders in Origin say that they actually finished it for US release, but they cancelled the release. It is nearly impossible to find a rom for the game, though. The best part about using Exult to remake this is because it already looks similar. It looks like the SNES port of Ultima VII: The Black Gate, so the art can be easily ripped from the game. That would leave only the actual making of the game left to do. You can see what I mean by the similarity between the two ports at:

http://www.angelfire.com/alt/skutarth/Images.html

It would be much welcome for a remake for this. Good luck to those who wish to find a rom or a real copy, a challenge by itself, and remake it if they so do wish to.
gruck

Re: An Ultima that should be remade...

Post by gruck »

I think what we need in this case is a translation effort. I put some work in hacking the game a year ago but never really got anywhere,
Grimlock Dragon

Post by Grimlock Dragon »

Actually, if you could just rip the art from the rom, then you should be able to get the dialog from the original PC Savage Empire, unless you were talking about translating code gruck.

Nevertheless, it does look like Savage Empire was redone in U7-like graphics. This project would obviously be a good piece to practice on for those wanting to use Exult Studio. The artwork, and plot are all there. All that has to be done is assembly (and probably usecode (Ha)). Then of course there's implementing the map.
sslaxx

Remake the port?

Post by sslaxx »

Why not just say "Why not remake Savage Empire, but using the SNES version's graphics"?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
[url]http://www.livejournal.com/users/sslaxx/[/url]
Grimlock Dragon

Re: Remake the port?

Post by Grimlock Dragon »

Duh, yes, that would be good. Samson Dragon once had the rom for it, but the only thing I can find of him on the Internet is this old webpage.

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/dark/169/
gruck

Post by gruck »

I have to rom...

To translate a game in English you can't just change the graphics... you have to hex-edit all the text in the game so it will show proper text. Not too bad once you figure out what you're doing, but that rom uses a really weird method of storing the text data that I didn't have to skills to figure out.
gruck

Post by gruck »

I don't think the rom is actually available on the internet anywhere right now. Its dissapeared over time like the Sharp X68000 Ultima 5 rom, and the Mt. Drash rom.
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

I said REMAKE for a reason. :)
I think somebody should e-mail him to ask him for the rom. If he asks why, just say that it's not present there or anywhere else, and be sure to mention our intentions with the rom.
If you do have the rom, be sure to tell us. You can send it to us over MIRC.
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

Actually, the rom is all over the place. Use Google. Ultima Underworld was also released in japan, for the PS1, without a US release.
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

I couldn't find it... What should I put into the search box? Just give me an exact exerpt from the site your getting this from. I can search that and get the site your talking of without making a link to warez...

Or you could just give me the zip file name...
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

Whoa...

Well, if it's any consolation, it -used- to be all over the place. I don't know what's happened in the few months since I had gotten it. :P

I still have it, anyway, so it's not like it's lost to the ages.

suraimu
ICQ/AIM/Yahoo (7698644/sl1me/selgy_sl1me)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Please stop asking and helping on how to find that rom. We are not a filesharer forum and definitely not one for illegal files.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

Dominus, try finding it once, I've been at it for weeks now...
If you've tried, you know why I'm asking...

[Edit: that's not the point - Dominus]

[edit more information ripped as it was related to trading - do that elsewhere or by email, but not here - Dominus]