Exult in Ubuntu help

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
morinb

Exult in Ubuntu help

Post by morinb »

Hi all, I'm having some trouble with my exult.cfg file configuration in Ubuntu. Let me start by saying that I've only recently begun using Ubuntu and am not too familiar with it or Linux in general, so consider me a newb!

Anyway, when I first tried installing Exult via the Add/Remove Applications window, everything installed alright until it asked me to point it toward the BG and SI data files. Unfortunately, I hadn't yet installed U7 and thus was forced to click cancel. So, Exult was installed, but I figured I could just edit the config file after installing the games.

After switching back to my Vista partition and installing the games from the UC CD, I went back to the Ubuntu partition and copied over the Ultima7 and Serpent directories to /home/brandon/Ultima7 and /home/brandon/Serpent, respectively. I tried pointing the exult.cfg file (located in my /etc folder) to these locations, but when I try running Exult it tells me to edit the config file to point it toward the data files! Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Like I said, I'm new to Linux but I know I edited the file correctly (as root). Has anyone else had trouble like this? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Brandon
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Re: Exult in Ubuntu help

Post by Malignant Manor »

I don't really know anything about the operating system, but aren't Linux directories case sensitive? Check that and if that doesn't work you need to wait tell someone more knowledgable logs in.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

I have Ubuntu but I don't use it's Exult package, so I didn't even exult.cfg goes in /etc. In the version you can download from this website, the config file goes in your home directory. Anyway, could you post the contents of the exult.cfg here? Specifically the portion between and .

Also make sure it is world readable: (as root) 'chmod a+rw /etc/exult.cfg'
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

In my attempts to get it running on Linux (which succeeded, BTW), my exult.cfg, or rather, my .exult.cfg went in my home dir (i.e., it was ~/.exult.cfg). It is also what the docs say, so you should try it.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
lcd

Post by lcd »

ok, go to places, home folder, and select show hidden files from the View menu. You should see the exult folder there. Just place the datafiles in the respective folders inside that directory, then journey onward.

Peace
morinb

Post by morinb »

OK, got it working now! Thanks a bunch, everyone. Great community here to go along with a great application.

Now, of course, there's a new issue. I read on the Documentation page that sound in Linux can be a problem fixed by installing Timidity and moving its config file into the same directory that the Exult executable is located in. Trouble is, I don't know where Linux (Ubuntu) puts its executables. Also, do I need to make any changes to Timidity's config file, or just throw it in there and run Exult? Once again, any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

What was the problem?

As for Timidity, I recommend using digital music instead, if you have the diskspace. Timidity uses far more CPU resources to emulate the midi music with less accuracy than the digital reproductions. If you want to use it anyway, the executables should be in /usr/bin. If Timidity is installed and working, you wont need to change its configuration.
That is only for music, BTW. For sound effects on Linux or Windows you have to download the sound packs. The instructions for all this are on the Documentation page.