Dupre isn't appearing when done talking with Marsten.

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Dupre isn't appearing when done talking with Marsten.

Post by Malignant Manor »

Dupre isn't appearing when done talking with Marsten. The guards that are accompanying him aren't appearing either. This has been a problem since at least the 2007-06-07 snapshot.
marzo
Site Admin

Re: Dupre isn't appearing when done talking with Marsten.

Post by marzo »

I'll look into it over the weekend.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

Wow... been a while since this popped up last, hasn't it? :)
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Argh. I found the cause of the bug. Or rather, the cause*s*. Turns out that it probably wasn't working in some earlier snapshots as well; since I "fixed" NPCs to go dormant when on other maps. But the problem was particularly nasty in that the workaround I had used to fix the coastline bug stopping during SI start was as much to blame as the other one. The first problem made Dupre dormant as he had been removed from the map earlier (thus he would never start walking his path which would preventing him from coming back to the world) while the second prevented him from taking the first few steps on the path thus also preventing him from appearing.

I am still trying to determine what is causing the animation from halting temporarily, but it seems to happen only when you superimpose a modal gump (the numerical input of Thoxa's questions) with a conversation.
------
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Sorry to post offtopic, but I don't want to fill the forum with my threads.

If it is easy for you to do can you please increase the amount of available NPC/Item flags that can be set?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

You mean those that can be get/set with get_item_flag/set_item_flag/clear_item_flag intrinsics?
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Yeah, I need them for my spellbook function. I plan to have each spell set to an item flag on the spellbook and use the quality of the spellbook to set different item flags. That way each spellbook could be unique and easy for someone to modify.

Right now the maximum that I can use is 61 (atleast according to the cheat menu). INVISIBLE, TEMPORARY, and OKAY_TO_TAKE can't be utilized. A full spellbook has 72 spells without any additions. I will probably use item flags for class special abilites (modified spells for each character class) if there are enough flags left over.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

To be honest, I think it would be far more trouble than it is worth; they are, for the most part, for NPCs only. Except for a few cases (NPCs and monsters), you can't actually use these flags unless the player never saves or reloads -- Exult does not complain about you setting/clearing the flags, and you can even get them, but they are not saved. Except for INVISIBLE, TEMPORARY and OKAY_TO_TAKE. And even INVISIBLE is only saved for items of type "quality flags". In any case, since there probably won't be potentially infinite spellbooks (i.e., you will have a limited number of them which you'll probably know in advance), you can use static usecode variables to store their spells.
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

I had only tested it without saving. I didn't realize that the flags didn't get saved. It would have been a couple hundred times easier if they saved and it would have been possible to have an unlimited amount of spellbooks (not like I wanted that many anyway).

I don't really know how to setup the variables like you did with the keyring. I will probably just have one global flags for each spell and pretend that they are either reading through all the spell books or are incredibly fast scribers.

At least, I figured out how to setup variables so that I wouldn't need a separate conversation tree variable for each Avatar casting class and each party spellcaster.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Here is another bug.

Weather eggs are set to the wrong type at least in SI.

constants as defined on Marzo's website

CLEAR_WEATHER = 0
NOWING = 1
RAIN = 2
SPARKLE = 3
FOG = 4
OVERCAST = 5
CLOUDY = 6

Clouds are currently set to 3 (magic storm) ( I don't know why the constant says sparkle)
Magic Storm is currently set to 2.
Storm is currently set to 2. (seems like a decent enough description)
Halt is correctly set to 0.

My descriptions when I looked at types in SI anyway. I need to get some sleep so I will test BG tomorrow. Very possible SI is missing weather effects from BG.

0 = Clear and sunny returns type 0
1 = looks like snow and white pixels collect on ground returns type 2
2 = looks like snow and white pixels collect on ground returns type 2
3 = Magic storm returns type 3
4 = Clear and sunny returns type 0
5 = Clear and sunny returns type 0
6 = light/middle darkness clouds returns type 6 (cloudy fits)
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

It more likely that the constants are wrong, actually; I think I got them from the last 6 entries of text.flx. They seemed to match more-or-less what Exult did in terms of weather (at least in terms of names) -- clear for wheather 0, the white pixels ("rain") for 1 and 2 (with a comment saying that maybe 1 should be snow), for 3 it is the magic storm (called "sparkle" in the code and with a comment mentioned it is on Ambrosia) and for 6 it is clouds; so I reasoned that 4 and 5 where to be implemented yet. Maybe I'll look into the originals to see...
------
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Just checked the originals; the constant names are correct. And I now will have to implement new weather effects for the unimplemented weather (including snow).
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Well the main thing about my post is. For ES westher eggs in SI Clouds need to be set to weather type 6 since they are currently set to weather type 3.
Magic storm is needs to be set to weather type 3 since it is set to weather type 2. The reason I noticed this is because I kept tying to test my spellbook with the magic storm egg and I couldn't get my spells to fizzle.

Then I rigged the spellbook to tell me which weather effects the eggs were doing. After that I checked all the values for weather effects and checked what they did in SI. I think I should have left your list of constants out because having duplicate names is a bit confusing [It was almost 4 in the morning so I'll use that as an excuse. :) ]

It would be nice to have that extra weather though.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I think it is a problem in ES. I will look into it.
------
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

We've been missing snow all this time? Thanks for catching this.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Snow, fog and overcast weather (although we do have cloudy weather). I am also tweaking the storm to include clouds and a smoother dawn/dusk to match the originals.
------
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Where in Britannia can these extra weather types be seen?
velinion

Post by velinion »

Until this is solved, is there any way to get Dupre to join (Eg. teleport to the path he's stuck on, teleport him to the avatar, etc.) with the current build?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Yes. After he is gone, you can set his NPC flag "in party" to "Y" and then teleport. He will them appear.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I have it fixed, I am just neglecting to send the fix; I was trying to fix the animation problem before I did. I will commit sometime today or tomorrow.

SB-X: There is an egg in Cove which supposedly sets weather to fog. However, fog doesn't seem to work all too well in the originals...

In fact, there are several eggs of each type around the map (I can give a partial list, or you can search in U7Wizard for shape 0x113, frame 4 and quality equal to one of the weather constants posted earlier); but if you want to see the weather at work, it is better to do it in usecode. I altered the usecode for crossbow bolts to summon a weather type of my choice, compiled it with wuc and inserted it in the usecode file with rip. If you want to try it under DOSBox: backup your BG usecode file; then paste the following in a text file you create:

Code: Select all

.funcnumber	02D3H
		.data
L0000:	db	'"'
L0001:	db	00
L0002:	db	' dost thou notice the unique Iolo trademark on these bolts? '
	db	' They are designed for maximum performance with genuine IOLO'
	db	' crossbows, available at a location near Yew."'
L00A8:	db	00
		.code
		.argc 0001H
		.localc 0001H
		.externsize 0001H
		.extern 0908H
0000: 1F 00 00 		pushi	0000H			; 0
0003: 1F 01 00 		pushi	0001H			; 1
0006: 1F 0A 00 		pushi	000AH			; 10
0009: 1F 00 00 		pushi	0000H			; 0
000C: 38 0C 00 04 	callis	_input_numeric_value@4 (000C)
0010: 38 45 00 01 	callis	_set_weather@1 (0045)
0014: 25 			ret
; From here on, everything is just padding so that the compiled
; usecode is of the right size.
0015: 05 1B 00 		jne	0033
0018: 1F 00 00 		pushi	0000H			; 0
001B: 1F FF FF 		pushi	FFFFH			; -1
001E: 39 03 00 02 	calli	_show_npc_face@2 (0003)
0022: 1C 00 00 		addsi	L0000			; "
0025: 2F 00 00 		addsv	[0000]
0028: 1C 02 00 		addsi	L0002			;  dost thou notice...
002B: 33 			say
002C: 1F FF FF 		pushi	FFFFH			; -1
002F: 39 04 00 01 	calli	_remove_npc_face@1 (0004)
0033: 25 			ret
Save that file to the static dir; I gave it the name of "02D3.uca". Compile it with wuc:

wuc 02D3.uca 02D3.uco
Then insert it in the usecode file with rip:

rip put 02D3
You can now summon weather at will by double-clicking a crossbow bolt. And you can now see that fog works erratically too.
------
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

Were these extra effects disabled in the originals?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

No, they are all there. It is just that fog, in particular, is... well, for a lack of a better term, glitchy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it abruptly ends while in the middle.
------
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

Is the fog fixable for Exult?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

No, it in in the originals only so far.
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

I thought ES was supposed to use function names when possible. When I put the function name on an item, it changes to 0x0 after I close the window (yes, I did click apply). On NPCs, from what I have tested, it changes to the function number of the named function after you close the window (somewhat ok but a big problem when the function number changes).

Can you please change ES so it will save the function name when it is given. Right now, if you move a function to a different function number, you might have to change half a dozen or several dozen more functions in ES to get things to work the way they are supposed to.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Also ES doesn't seem to be finding all the function names. The name for function 0xa4a always seems to be absent even though the function is compiled correctly and works by using the number it should be.

Looking at the list in numerical order "0xa0c, 0xa29 - 0xa48, 0xa52 - 0xa54, and anything beyond 0xa56 and up (should be 13 functions starting with 0xa57)" are also missing.

I have no idea why there is a big gap here. It is autonumbered and these numbers, "0xa29 - 0xa48", are missing between two functions that are in the list and above and below each other respectively so they should be one number off not a huge difference.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I thought ES was supposed to use function names when possible. When I put the function name on an item, it changes to 0x0 after I close the window (yes, I did click apply).
That is one of the few areas in which this isn't implemented yet (if not the only one left, but I am not sure). It is part of the reason why the Keyring and TFL mods start autonumbering at 0xC00 and explicitly assign function numbers for weapons in the 0xA00-0xBFF range.
On NPCs, from what I have tested, it changes to the function number of the named function after you close the window (somewhat ok but a big problem when the function number changes).
I will take a look, but from what I remember, when ES/Exult saves the NPCs, it saves the function's name whenever possible.
Also ES doesn't seem to be finding all the function names. The name for function 0xa4a always seems to be absent even though the function is compiled correctly and works by using the number it should be.
Can you send me a copy of the compiled usecode file you are using (preferably one which displays the problem you describe ;-p)?
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

I just sent you an e-mail. I will have to try and estimate how many functions I will need. What is the upper limit for functions.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

UI_light seems to be broken. The original spellbooks and spells in BG and SI don't even produce light.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

UI_light seems to be broken.
Mea culpa. Will be fixed in the next snapshot.

I also fixed the problem with functions not showing up in ES -- it was a problem in how the compiler would generate the usecode symbol table. It too will be fixed on the next snapshot.
[edit: clarified a bit]
------
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Will be fixed in the next snapshot.
Or rather, it would if I were able to commit the changes; it seems that the CVS server is having some problems.
------
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I finally managed to commit, so next snapshot should have both problems fixed.
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

UI_cause_light() is still broken for BG and SI unfortunately. The only function that doesn't show the function name (from what I can see) is 0xa4a.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Is this function defined anywhere or is it only externed?
UI_cause_light() is still broken for BG and SI unfortunately.
Funny, it works for both BG and SI here; I am testing calling them from the spellbook. Did you update your version of Exult as well or only the compiler?
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

The function is only defined and not externed (not 100% sure what you mean). It should be "Jaana ()".

Jaana ()
{
var bark;
var answers;
var party = UI_get_party_list();
var partysize = UI_get_array_size(party);
var Jaana_face = -605;
// if (event == PROXIMITY)
// scheduleBarks(item);
var training = get_npc_prop(TRAINING);
if (get_npc_prop(EXPERIENCE) == 200)
set_npc_prop(TRAINING, - training);

if (event == DOUBLECLICK)
{

//Player message according to flags:
if ((item in party)) bark = "@Can we speak, Jaana?@";
else bark = "@Hail!@";

//SI-style start of dialog, although the NPC does not move to the Avatar:
UI_set_item_flag(AVATAR, DONT_MOVE);
script AVATAR
{
//call trueFreeze;
face AVATAR->find_direction(item);
actor frame STAND; say bark;
wait 10;
}

//Jaana's response according to flags:
if ((item in party)) bark = "@I am at thy command, Avatar@";
else bark = "@Greetings.@";

//SI-style start of dialog, although the NPC does not move to the Avatar:
set_item_flag(DONT_MOVE);
script item
{
//call trueFreeze;
wait 5;
face find_direction(AVATAR);
actor frame STAND; say bark;
wait 8; call Jaana;
}
}
else if (event == SCRIPTED)
{
//Unfreeze Avatar and Jaana:
UI_clear_item_flag(AVATAR, DONT_MOVE);
clear_item_flag(DONT_MOVE);

var avatartitle;
var avatarname;
var party = UI_get_party_list();

if (!UI_get_item_flag(item, 28))
Jaana_face.say("@Greetings, travellers.@");
else if (item in party)
Jaana_face.say("@I enjoy travelling with the party.@");

if ((item in party))
add("leave");

add("join");
converse (["name", "job", "bye"])
{
case "join" (remove):
{
if (partysize < 6)
{
Jaana_face.say("@I would be honored, " + avatartitle + ".@");
add_to_party();
add("leave");
}
else
Jaana_face.say("@Twould appear, "+ avatartitle," that thou already hath more than enough travelling companions.@");
}
case "leave" (remove):
{
Jaana_face.say("Farewell, " + avatartitle + ". I will look forward to us traveling together again someday.@");
remove_from_party();
add("join");
}
case "bye":
abort;
}
}
}

I updated both. I tried using the BG and the SI spellbooks plus my custom spellbook. Spells cast, but light level doesn't change. I guess I could try a fresh install and see if that works. I don't see how it would though.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Fresh install of everything didn't fix the problem.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Can you post a save game where this happens at the bug tracker?
The function is only defined and not externed (not 100% sure what you mean).
What I meant is: does it only ever appear as "extern Jaana ()" or there is a definition similar to the one you posted? To which I guess the answer is that it never appears as extern.
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

It never appears as an extern and doesn't show up in the menu.

Quote:

You mean with spells like glimmer and light not working? I'll send a file with a spellbook in inventory and in a dark section of a cave.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Nevermind that. I tried downloading and installing the snapshot instead of my self-compiled version. In the snapshot, I can reproduce the bug, but in my self-compiled version, I can't. I wonder what is going on... in any case, I made a slight change which (hopefully) will fix this.
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Delete the save in the tracker then. I just got done sending it.
paulo

Post by paulo »

"No, they are all there. It is just that fog, in particular, is... well, for a lack of a better term, glitchy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it abruptly ends while in the middle."

Like real fog you mean :) In ultima even the bugs add to the realism.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

So, are the light spells working in the new snapshot?
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Light spells are working for both games.