Schedules and paths

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Andrea B Previtera

Schedules and paths

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

Sorry for my N-th technical and consequently offtopic (or not?) question: characters has schedules. So you know that at a certain time, a character is acting in a certain part of the world. But what happens when a character passes from one position to another? I mean: I hang, let's say, in a shop all day long, waiting for the owner to leave. Finally, he leaves, and I follow him. He never reaches the next location, he just flees in a random direction, trying to leave me at his back.
Of course, once he's not in sight anymore - I can get back to the city and find him exactly in the position where he should be - at his home in his bed.

Am I correct?
Dangus

Re: Schedules and paths

Post by Dangus »

Usually if you follow them, they do indeed not end up where they are supposed to. Instead, once you can no longer see them, they teleport into the correct part of their routine.
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

Hmm, i would call it "ARTFICIAL INTELLIGENCE"
NPCs in Ultima 7 are not dumb, they are aware of burglars, etc.
So they pay attention who follows them, when they go home.
If they see you following them to their home, they go some wrong way to make you dizzy :D
So, you never find their right home. intelligent, eh?
------------------SIGNATURE--------------------
Is this virtuous?
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

ROTFL! I will implement it this way too, then :)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

You ought to be able to follow them to their new destination, but I don't think it's working as well as it should.
Sjs191

Post by Sjs191 »

I noticed this problem when trying to follow the Mayor in Britain (in BG) as part of a subquest there. He walked in the right general direction, but I wasn't able to follow him all the way to the place where he goes no matter how often I reloaded my savegame and re-tried.

I eventually found him at his destination after loosing him for the n-th time somewhere on the streets.

Are there any other subquests that require you to follow people at certain times? It would be nice if this worked properly.