Size of the world

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Andrea B Previtera

Size of the world

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

You know, I am the lazy kind who never reads documentations, etc..
Well: is the world of ultima actually just about 200x200 chunks ?? It always semt huge to me, but thinking about it, 200x200 is not that much. And to say that I am not so sure that 1024x1024 chunks (slightly larger than the ultima7 ones, too) will be enough : )
Trevor_Clim

Re: Size of the world

Post by Trevor_Clim »

hmm 200x200 chunks, how many of these are water-chunks, wich cannot be really "used" by the player? I think 60x60 - 70x70 chunks are only water.
------------------SIGNATURE--------------------
Is this virtuous?
Andrea B Previtera

Nonetheless, you always had that "Where am I??" feeling. Expecially in those southern scattered islands where you always discovered something you never saw before.

I wonder what game had the largest world ever.
Dino (can't log in)

Post by Dino (can't log in) »

>>"I wonder what game had the largest world ever."

Ultima 9 perhaps? [sarcastic]
Andrea B Previtera

On a old pentium II 300 equipped with a geforce II gts pro 64mb, I was able to tweak the engine settings and avatar's position, so that you could see the whole world in a screen... that poor game doesn't even deserve sarcasm! :)
Andrea B Previtera

On a old pentium II 300 equipped with a geforce II gts pro 64mb, I was able to tweak the engine settings and avatar's position, so that you could see the whole world in a screen... that poor game is not even worth our sarcasm!
Dino (can't log in)

Post by Dino (can't log in) »

Hehe, I wish you had a screenshot... with U9 already getting kicked by most fans, such humiliation would bury it under the ground. :)
Susano-[MacH]

Post by Susano-[MacH] »

I'm pretty sure that, in terms of the largest world in a game, Daggerfall has everything beat by a wide margin.
Dangus

Post by Dangus »

I wonder what game had the largest world ever.
Daggerfall by far has the largest game world of any game ever made other than flight games. You could literally walk for 24 real life hours in that game and not reach the other side of the playing area.
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

hmm, Daggerfall:
it was a lot of randomization (cool word ^^), i think you can't say it is bigger than Ultima 7 one's because designing a world completely in detail and designing a random-world is a big difference
Is this virtuous?
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

The world is:
12 x 12 super chunks
192 x 192 chunks
3072 x 3072 tiles
24,576 x 24,576 pixels

In other words... it is quite big, when viewed at 320x200.
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

what's the sense of a SUPER CHUNK? is this important for the memory-manager? is it relevant in the editor? :)
Is this virtuous?
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Map data is saved in a file per superchunk. (e.g., u7ifixZZ, where ZZ is a superchunk number)
Andrea B Previtera

24,576 x 24,576 pixels ...

meaning 320x200 = 76 x 122 screens, 9272 screens. Not bad!

Hmm, let me see: I am aiming for 1024x1024 tiles, each one sized 48x48 opengl units... each screen renders more or less (depending on the camera angle) 4x5 tiles. So it should be 256x 204 screens = 52224 screens.

Ok, there's room for that "I am lost" feeling :)
Dangus

Post by Dangus »

i think you can't say it is bigger than Ultima 7 one's because designing a world completely in detail and designing a random-world is a big difference
U7's world is RICHER yes, but hardly bigger. Even relative to the size of the player character, Daggerfall is probably literally a thousand times larger than Britannia and the sea around which the game takes place is only a very small part of the whole world. To put it in perspective, the land in which Morrowind occurs could literally fit into that of Daggerfall dozens of times. Daggerfall is STUNNINGLY HUGE. Yes, I would agree, however, that it's very cookie-cutter.
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

@Dangus

i think Daggerfall's world FEELS like a Flight-Simulator world. Extreme huge, but only little detail...
i have played it some time but a real cool atmossphere in this random world didn't come up while playing! it's very anonymous, especially if you are in a random generated city with generated NPCs, etc.

i would say:
Ultima 7 BG has the most detailed world with very huge sizes, if you consider the high detail.

it's the best relation of detail and size
Is this virtuous?