Unable to join Fellowship

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
MacGoetz

Unable to join Fellowship

Post by MacGoetz »

Hi!
I am having a bit of a problem joining the fellowship.

I visited Batlin in Britain and got my task to deliver the chest to Trinsic - which I did. Did not open it and gave it to Elynor. Went back to Batlin and got my second task to go to Destard. Went there, spoke to the unicorn first and then got to the other entrance to have some fun with some dragons. Found the chest (empty apart from 2 fellowship amulets), walked around, died and was resurrected in Paws. Went back to Batlin but he said that I have not completed my task. And at 9 PM he is starts talking to the crowd instead of letting me joining the club.

It does not matter how often I walk to Destard and back - he still says that I did not complete my task.

Is this a bug or am I a bit daft.

The save set is located here:
http://www.mgoetz.co.uk/games/ultima7/exult08bg.sav

[Note: I am playing the German version of Ultima 7 - using Exult 1.2 from USB stick]

What have I done wrong - or how can I join the fellowship?

Regards,
Markus
Jordan

Re: Unable to join Fellowship

Post by Jordan »

I can only suggest you try the task without getting killed.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Possible spoiler...

In case you've forgotten what "the task" is, here is what Dan Simpson's Ultima VII walkthrough says:

"Talk with Batlin again, and tell him that you have delivered the package.
Now he'll give you another task. Go to Dungeon Destard to the west of
Trinsic and fetch the Fellowship funds in a chest by a Fellowship staff.
He claims that the dungeon is deserted. It isn't. It's full of dragons.
Lots of Dragons. Also there are no funds.

Note: If you haven't done Forge of Virtue... now would be a good time."
MacGoetz

Post by MacGoetz »

Thanks for the replies. Well, I knew what the second task was and I went to Destard again. This time I took the 2nd Amulet as well (the chest is now empty) and went back to Batlin. When I tried to speak to Batlin he started the ceremony without talking about my second task. So I went for a wee snooze and came back 8 h later. This time the church was empty but Batlin still said that I did not complete my task

Looks like that I have luck.

Can not anyone out there help me and download my save set

http://www.mgoetz.co.uk/games/ultima7/exult08bg.sav

to see if it is possible or impossible for me to join the fellowship.

Thanks in advance..
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Looks like that I have luck.

Can not anyone out there help me and download my save set
Do you mean "Looks like I'm out of luck"?

Sorry my first reply wasn't more helpful. I'll check out your savegame. It might be that you just need to bring back the fellowship staff.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

OK, it was a bug after all. I don't know what caused it, but there is a workaround. Somehow the egg that tells the game you visited Destard didn't get activated, so the flag didn't get set. You can do this manually by going into the cheat menu with F2. (first turn cheats on from the main menu) Then press F to enter a flag. Type 151 and hit enter. Press S to set the flag. Exit back to the game by pressing X twice. Now talk to Batlin before the meeting at 9PM and he'll invite you into the Fellowship.
MacGoetz

Post by MacGoetz »

SB-X,
thanks for your reply and the workaround. I used it and I am now able to join the fellowship. Phew! :)

Regards,
Markus

P.S. "Looks like that I have luck." was indeed wrong. I was probably on another planet - again. Next time I write "Looks like that I am out of luck". ;) Again, thanks for you help..
MacGoetz

Post by MacGoetz »

SB-X,

How can I be sure that I won't have any further problems with "Flags"? I don't really want to be stuck later in the game because of this.. And another thing - I do not get any infos where Elizabeth and Abraham are - not in Minoc nor in Paws (the next destination of them).

Has that maybe anything to do with the flags as well?

Regards,
Markus
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

There's not really anything you can do to predict or prevent a bug like this, unfortunately. In some cases they are from the original game and there are places where they are more likely to be encountered. The only one I can think of now is in New Magincia: When you go to Alagner's house, enter only through the south door. Also, sometimes when you're supposed to find an item and deliver it to someone, if they don't seem to recognize you have it, try dropping the object at the location you found it and then pick it up again. (Exult might have fixed this bug already)
Make sure not to use cheats, especially teleporting around. Keep regular, frequent savegames in multiple slots so that you can go back to a previous one if you encounter a show-stopping bug.

About E&A, sorry but I don't remember the game well enough to know who you have to talk to to find out about them. If you havn't found out about them yet, don't just follow the walkthrough (or memory) and continue going to the towns it tells you to. You don't want to go on playing if there's a chance your game is screwed up, because it will just make it harder for you to restart or go back to an old save if required.
Did you talk to everyone in Trinsic? You likely need to be "clued in" to the main quest near there.
MacGoetz

Post by MacGoetz »

It seems that I found another problem.

I went to the emps. Spoke to Trellek, Saralek and Salamon. Went to Ben the logger who signed paper not to cut Silverleaf trees anymore. Went back to Salamon who gave permission for Trellek to join me. Spoke to Saralek who says she doesn't want Trellek to join. [OK, fair enough]. Walk through then said that Trellek will make a Wisp Whistle but when I speak to Trellek he does not say anything about a Wisp Whistle.. :(

Bug or just my System?

Here is the save set [Location: "Emps" (after I visited Ben but before I speak to Salamon):

http://www.mgoetz.co.uk/games/ultima7/exult01bg.sav

Heeelp! Can someone try the save set and confirm that this works or not.

Thanks in advance..

Markus
Tribun

Post by Tribun »

That's no bug.

You can only ask him for the whistle after you fulfilled two conditions:

1.)You must have asked the gypsy with the crystal ball in Minoc to read yor fortune, otherwise you don't know that you even need to talk with the Wisps.

2.)You must have tried to speak with one, only to get ignored.

Only then Trellek will know that you need the whistle since only then you will actually ask him.
MacGoetz

Post by MacGoetz »

Yep - correct. I also found out that I have to speak to one of the monks in Empath Abbey to hear about the Wisps. Did that, went back to the Emps and got my whistle. Phew! :)

Looks like that I do not have to be so paranoid that I can't finish this excellent game because of bugs.

Will sleep much better tonight! ZZzzzz |-)

Thanks again for all you support, folks!

Regards,
Markus