need help please

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
thegame

need help please

Post by thegame »

i got exult to play just fine except for it quiting on me when i choose "nobody"from the trainer in trinsic,but i desperately need help with underworld 1&2 (i try to use vogons board but it has been 2 days and i still cannot post there,but it let me register)i can get both games to play in dosbox,i am running winxp but i cannot get sound i think it has something to do with, i have the more recent cd with both games on it,i can copy the uw 1&2 folders over but i cannot install to set the sound.
when i try install from the command prompt i have the cd in d:(cdrom,dvd player)
and it gives me an error cant read e:so i pull it out and put cd in e:(dvd burner)now it gives error cant read f: and my f: is a zip drive.
please if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance
game
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: need help please

Post by Dominus »

ok
1. copy the whole game to hard drive. otherwise you would have to mount the cd with dosbox. But copying is better. doesn't take too much space.
make sure you don't have the files on read-only after copying.

2.Then run uinstall.exe (in dosbox) select the appropiate music/sfx soundcard (the one that dosbox emulates of course)
3. Run uwsound.exe (in dosbox) to make sure the "hardware" gets detected ok. if not you need to change interrupt and /or dma with that program.
4. you should be set to play underworld.
Maybe change the CPU-cycles to something higher than the standard dosbox settings.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
thegame

Post by thegame »

thanks dominus i have music now but not any of the speech how can i get that or does dosbox only do music?i will go back through what you told me and see if i missed something.
thanks very much for your quik reply this place is really great,you guys even helped me with something other than exult,although i wish i could find out why it quits on me when i am i trinsic talking to the trainer and when i choose nobody it just stops(maybe i should just not ask about training until i have the gold to get it)
thanks again
game
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

> except for it quiting on me when i choose "nobody"from the trainer in trinsic

This has been fixed in the latest snapshots.

Oh, and please use somewhat shorter sentences. It would make your posts a lot more readable :-)
thegame

Post by thegame »

sorry about the rambling i am just tickled to play these excellent games again.
what are snapshots and how do you install them?
thanks again,i will keep lines shorter
game
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

about snapshots read the FAQ.

Dosbox should have speech going. look at the uwsound.exe stuff and see if it reports speech/sfx working.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!