Anyone ever seen coins like these?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
adora_ble

Anyone ever seen coins like these?

Post by adora_ble »

I hadn't... and was just wondering if they were legit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =4315&rd=1

My compliments on Exult, btw - I just found this forum recently and am absolutely loving the opportunity to play U7 and SI again!
JustAnotherDragon

Re: Anyone ever seen coins like these?

Post by JustAnotherDragon »

Aren't these the coins that just got relaesed? I doubt Garriott had the money to release coins with Ultima 1.

But really I don't know.
JustAnother Dragon
-=(UDIC)=-
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

1. the codex was first used in U4
2. The Ankh was first used in U4
3. I never played U1 so I don't know if the great earth serpent showed up in it. If not then it was first used in SI.

Altogether sounds like a rip off.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
adora_ble

Post by adora_ble »

I just did some searches, and apparently they are legit...

http://members.aol.com/trigonman3/u1.html
(this site mentions them but no pictures)

http://originmuseum.solsector.net/u1.html
(this site has some pictures of them - looks like the same coins)

Sorry that I posted here before searching myself. Thanks for the responses anyway!
ultima7-team

Post by ultima7-team »

thay are geniune.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yeah, seems like I have to take it back :-)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
ultima7-team

Post by ultima7-team »

Yes they are genuine there rather a real ultima collectors item too.. won't suprize me if they reach over $100 us dollar on eBay.
thehawk

Post by thehawk »

It seems like I remember reading somewhere that RG first made that serpent when he was quite a bit younger in school or something like that, and has had it ever since. Does anyone else remember anything like that, or am I up too late again?

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Ah, yes :)

*opens The Official Book of Ultima by Shay Addams from Compute! Books*

Pages 31-34:
=========================

The Tale of the Silver Serpent
Every fantasy world has its own mythology, and one of the most pervasive and fascinating myths of the Lord British legend is the tale of the Silver Serpent. Garriott says the Serpent initially surfaced in Ultima II, but the legend's first prominent role as a game element came in Ultima III, when a Fighter in a Pub cryptically hints that "Exodus lies beyond the silver snake," blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

"When I was 11 or so," he says, "my mother -- a professional artist who's into all kinds of art like pottery, oil paintings, etchings -- was going through a silversmithing phase. I was always interested into what she was doing, and all us kids would get dragged into her latest project. I had been watching a Doc Savage movie, and I thougt Doc Savage was really pretty neat stuff. The bad guys in this one were natives who all had this snake painted on their chests. It looked somewhat like this shape. " He grasps the thin, shining silver snake dangling about his neck. Most people, upon meeting him for the first time and recognizing the Silver Serpent from the game actually hanging from his neck assume it holds great significance "They expect it means I'm a member of some satanic cult group or something, but it's really just something I thougt was fanciful as a child, and it remained as an icon for me."

When the young Garriott went upstairs to see his mother's latest silversmithing project that day, he felt inspired to make something out of silver, too. Having seen the Doc Savage film just minutes before, he described the snake design to Helen. "She helped me work it out on paper, and I got out my little silver saw and cut this little guy out of silver," he says, as he touches the snake again. Deciding to make a necklace out of it, he dragged out one of his mother's belts. "It was made out of three strands of this chain. Each segment of it was about six inches long, and then there was just a small vertical post that connected the little segments of this stuff together. I said 'hey, that stuff would make a great chain.' I guess as a kid I must have known it was a belt, but it looked like a useful tool to me more than anything else. So I got a screwdriver and separated enough chain to make the loophole here, then clamped it on with a pair of pliers. Of course, I got in trouble when my mother came back and found that I had sacrificed her belt to the cause, but it was too late to put it all back together. And this chain now resides around my neck 365 days a year, 24 hours a day -- it has essentially remained there for the rest of my life ever since the day I put it on. There is no way to remove it without taking a screwdriver to it and prying open one of the links. For the first couple of years that I wore it, I actually had a link that I used to open and close a little bit. In fact, it is this link," he says, pointing out one that's a bit more separated and stretched out than the others. "After I realized I was wearing out something by doing that, I quit doing it, so this necklace remained here ever since. It literally never comes off." (Fortunately, it doesn't set off metal detectors at the airport.) "The chain was gold-colored when I first put it on." Tugging at it, he reveals how "on the inside of the loops, you may still be able to see a little of the gold color. As it wears off, the color keeps changing, and now it rusts on my neck. I mean literally, every day. When I go, I may die of rust poisoning or something." blah blah blah blah blah.
==================================

There :)

So, the serpent appeared in U2 first. Now, lets clarify something: Origin at some point re-released U1, and incluided those coins.
- Gradilla Dragon
JustAnotherDragon

Post by JustAnotherDragon »

I bow to the great knowledge.
JustAnother Dragon
-=(UDIC)=-
Armchair Avatar

Post by Armchair Avatar »

If you want to see pictures of the silver serpent necklace, look here:
http://www.shiftedphase.com/~dino/forum ... tish_STORY
adora_ble

Post by adora_ble »

Awesome! Thanks for all the great info!

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to bid on the auction.
Daemongar

Post by Daemongar »

Are those coins really that rare? I mean, they are from Ultima 1, but they aren't from ULTIMA 1 - the plastic bag one.

I don't see them going for over $100 because U2 I think goes for about $150 (I've seen it for more and less) - and U1 would probably be a little more rare than U4, which goes for about $60 or so. I don't know. Input?

If it was from the original U1 - sheesh - that would go for hundreds...
Daemongar

Post by Daemongar »

They went for $26, in case anyone needs closure...
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

The coins are from the 1986 remake of Ultima1 that came out just after U3. That release included 4 small paper-maps of the 4 continents, a few manuals and those coins in a small sack.

It's not that rare a release but still not easy to get your hands on - especially if you don't want to cough out quite a lot of money. I was lucky to get mine on ebay from someone who just found it lying around and instead of throwing it out put it on ebay for $10.

- Tele