Crashes when running in window on Mac

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Clock Nova

Crashes when running in window on Mac

Post by Clock Nova »

I've noticed that, when running Exult in windowed mode on the Mac OS 9 version, the computer locks up if you try to switch out of exult and into the finder. Click anywhere outside of the window (which can be confusing because the cursor is invisible outside of the window, and everything locks, though the sound and music keep playing.

This is a particular problem for me because I only have the documentation in PDF format (as it came on the U7 collection CD) and I need to be able to switch from Exult to Acrobat, and back to Exult in order to look up the answers to the copy protection questions. And I'd really rather not print out the whole manual for that.

Can you fix it so that one can easily switch back to the Finder, even in fullscreen mode, perhaps?
Karlos

Re: Crashes when running in window on Mac

Post by Karlos »

Well I don't have a Mac, but I do have the Ultima 7 collection CD. Mine came with a tiny booklet that contained, among other things, the answers to the copy-protection answers. If yours came with that, then you can just use that to answer the questions.

-Karl
Clock Nova

Post by Clock Nova »

Except that I've long since tossed the box and the flimsy pamphlets that came with it.
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

They didn't already come cracked so that you could give any answer?
Or is that just the 1-8 collection that's like that?
Clock Nova

Post by Clock Nova »

Must just be the Ultima Collection. I have the Complete Ultima VII CD, and I still have to answer the frigging questions.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

Methink you modify exult to always validate whatever you answer.

I mean, c'mon, you've got the source, you've bought the CD, you're entitled to play with it the way you want!

Artaxerxes
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

It's not the Ultima Collection, no commercial version of Ultima VII is "already patched" to skip the copy protection. Also, I strongly disagree with modifying Exult to bypass the questions. If you can't take the time to dig out your manual on two occasions each game, you're either very busy or extremely lazy.
Max aka Moscow Dragon

Post by Max aka Moscow Dragon »

There was an offline crack which modified the savegame files (I think GAMEDAT/FLAGINIT).
It existed even in 92.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Set flag 61 to get the Trinsic password,
but you might have to do other things, or set other flags if you don't
want to screw things up.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Please don't give hints on how to bypass the copyprotection. Our projects life may one day depend on us requiring a legal version of the game.

As for printing a PDF, I could always just print a specific page from a pdf document. Don't know if that is different on Mac but I doubt it is.
:-)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Dominus, someone could just teleport beyond the gate(or move it out of the way) in Exult if they wanted to. If you believe the copy-protection quest is important, those "enhancements" are more of a threat to the
project then a simple user coming on a message forum and giving a flag
number.
The copy-protection quest is not very serious, however, since the advent of the WWW... and of Exult. :-)
Clock Nova

Post by Clock Nova »

I don't really want to bypass the copy-protection, and I wouldn't want to play BG without completing the Trinsic quest. And yes, I could print specific pages of the manual, but I would first have to figure out all of the possible questions. Yes, it can be done, but how annoying.

I think you have forgotten the real point behind my first post: Exult crashes while running in window mode. The copy protection is not the only reason to want this fixed. I do know, however, that it did not always do this.
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

The developers usually suggest submitting bug reports via the bug tracker on the project page. It's easy to overlook or forget about a post to the message board, but if it's entered in the bug tracker, it won't be forgotten about.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=102335

-Karl
fingolfin
Site Admin

Post by fingolfin »

Using the bug reporter is a good idea indeed, and also emailing me directly. I am basically never reading the forum, unless somebody explicitly tells me to do so.

As for that crasher -> I can't test it ATM. It used to work just fine, but maybe something bad crept in. Gotta check it later.

If you haven't done so yet, please submit a bug report, stating the exact problem, the version of your OS, of exult and anything else that might be relevant :)
Automaton Dragon

Post by Automaton Dragon »

For copy protection answers to BG:

http://www.uo.com/archive/ultima7/coord.html

Considering www.uo.com is an "official" origin/ea web site, it would seem that they consider the copy protection to be a moot point now, at least for BG. For that reason, I doubt anyone would care if the copy protection were removed from Exult. However I don't think that's a very important thing to worry about since the answers are available from many, many places online.

-Tom
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

Yeah, but not all questions are related to map coordinates. Some people have problems reading maps, so they may have just put the coordinate answers up for that reason.

-Karl
Max aka Moscow Dragon

Post by Max aka Moscow Dragon »

In BG, all questions are coords and all correct answers are 30 * N.
In SI, they are other, checked twice (the same set of questions).

Anyway having a usecode disassembler makes them a moot. I remember guessing several opcodes using the copy-protection check function in BG.
Clock Nova

Post by Clock Nova »

Bug tracker- got it. I don't know why I didn't do this. Thanks.