I do not join thieves

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
shortsight

I do not join thieves

Post by shortsight »

is there anyway to get a member back when you steal one too many times?
drcode
Site Admin

Re: I do not join thieves

Post by drcode »

Um, "restore" will work:-)

I'm not positive, but I think they may rejoin if you play for a while before asking them again.
WishStone Dragon

Post by WishStone Dragon »

Nope, once he left, he is gone for the rest of the game :/

Also a bit stupid the way I lost Dupre in my games so far:
He considers it stealing if you loot a dead body (yes, that was a twicer). I had him leave so many times when I opened the backpack of a dead person, found food and doubleclicked it to directly feed it to someone. For some strange reason, he feels that is stealing............. If you first loot it and THEN feed, it's okay :/
*blows a ring of green smoke and curls up, purrrrring*
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

I've never found a means to make it one way or the other, but I have had times where if I talk to the members later (Shamino, Iolo, and Dupre respectively) sometimes they'd rejoin and other times they wouldn't. When they rejoin they say something along the lines of "Well, alright, as long as thou dost promise to change thy ways" or somesuch. Anyways, I dont know what constitutes them leaving forever or just taking a break. *shrug*
http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com
Fantasy art/Illustration by Brendan Setaro
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

For Shamino and Dupre this seems to be controlled by a timer.
shortsight

Post by shortsight »

perhaps this is something that should be fixed...
I mean, you can kill little kids and that is fine, but "stealing" from the fellowship store house on buccanears isle is terrible.
hm, shouldn't the NPC tool be able to fix this?
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Every item has an "okay-to-take" flag, although I don't think ExultStudio has an option to set this yet.

Whenever you move something into your inventory, we set the flag. That's why you can steal food and then eat it without upsetting your companions.
WishStone Dragon

Post by WishStone Dragon »

"That's why you can steal food and then eat it without upsetting your companions."

I seeeeeeeee...
*blows a ring of green smoke and curls up, purrrrring*
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

There are special consecration rituals.

http://www.it-he.org/ultima7.htm#consecration
- Gradilla Dragon
Cuindless

Post by Cuindless »

It doesn't matter one way or another. If you set his NPC "in party" flag to "yes", he'll follow you and fight anyway, even though he'll say "I do not join thieves" repeatedly.
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

What's this about Innoculation? I've heard stuffing items onto certain team mates will stop them complaining about teft, but I never had any problems once I learned how to steal propally. :)

As for team mates leaving, in the original, they would run off (and once they left your party, they would even attack you if you continued, making stealing multiple items a tad dangerous).

However, after a short while, they would rejoin if you asked. But not Iolo! You'd have to wait ages for him to rejoin, in which time he often managed to run off, and ended up back in his house at Yew!

Heheh... Back in the old days... I remember going to the jail in Yew...

Anyhoo, in Exult, the time it takes for them to rejoin is much longer then the original. I figured this was intentional, some sort of penalty for misdeeds... However, so long as you steal correctly, it should never be a problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me. :P