Exult: final goal?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Andrea B Previtera

Exult: final goal?

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

I am playing Doom Legacy, a porting of Doom implementing lots of new features, from "real" 3D to alpha blending, etc. Compared to such ports, Exult had a first definitive goal (being not a real port, but a "reconstruction"): making the game playable with no plot stoppers, from the beginning till the end.

Now that this first goals has been achieved, Exult moves toward brand new features and addition. This makes it expandable virtually forever, but what I think is: are there (de)finite goals for this second stage of the Exult development?

My two cents. I don't believe in infinite expandability. There are features that mix well with the original behaviour/graphic style of the game, and features that don't. Take Doom as an example: the first ports added alpha blending, true color, particle effects, which were good without any doubt. Later, they started adding quake3 models just because they could, but such models don't really mix well with the original doom. In future they could add, what can I say, Unreal Tournament high polycount models, resample the sound effects - that would be excellent on the tech side, but awful on the "original look/atmosphere" side.

What do you think?
dd

Re: Exult: final goal?

Post by dd »

Now that the games work almost flawlessly in Exult, they should start adding Network play :)
Tristan de Inés

Post by Tristan de Inés »

Yeah. That's it. Network play!

It would be way cool to have a Deathmatch or Capture The Flag tournament running in Exult.

Imagine running over Britannia, as fully rendered 3D world, rocket launcher in Hand, fragging Lord British, with Quake 3 models, and...... ;)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Having just finished playing SI with fairly few problems, I'd say we're pretty much 'done' as far as recreating the U7 engine. After fixing a few more bugs, we should have an Exult 1.2 release.

After that, I don't know what will happen. I can imagine working on small improvements, such as combat and the occasional graphic glitches. It might also be nice to have a journal you can write.

Possible major things to work on:
1. Better support for mods and new games, such as allowing more than 1024 shapes (requires a revamping of the savegame formats). Also, hard-coded constants should be moved to data files so different dialog boxes and spells can be used.
2. A conversation editor.
3. A tool for creating scenes like the Fawn Trial.
4. A completely original (non-Ultima) game.

I'm not sure even if it's worthwhile to work on major features. On the one hand, U7 is an old game, and the graphics are fairly primitive compared to newer games. Some of the Exult coders are working on Pagan, which is quite a bit better looking, and I wonder if that would be a better base for building original games.

OTOH, I still like the look and feel of U7.
Daemongar

Post by Daemongar »

I would like to see the original (you know what I mean, the one where Iolo is a martian or a cat, whatever) storyline of SI be implemented in the next round. People come on here every month and say they're going to get to work on it, and are never heard from again.

Another idea is that they should really think about charging $10.00 a month for 'subscribers' to exult to download new armor, weapons, and models on a semi regular basis - also, more modern weapons would be nice. You know, pistols and lightsabers and C4, like in Jagged Alliance 1 and 2.

And they should also carry through on thier idea to port Exult to the Xbox. Other than that, it's perfect.
MV

Post by MV »

Mmmmm pagan/pentagram. :)

I'd love to have a new "engine" for that game.

My first suggestion is to fix the movement/turn rates of what they were in the original. :)
shortsight

Post by shortsight »

why not remake an older ultima game using the SI or U7 engine?
like u6 or savage empire (or world or whatever it was)

or remake U8 using the SI engine.

but please o please don't @!#$ with that worthless u8 engine. god that thing is awfull.

also, creating a new game using the SI engine sounds fantastic.
I don't know about you but SI is probably one of the best games to date, simply because of it's interface.
bringing that interface up to date would be interesting.

any which way...
you guys kick ass. thank you for bringing back my favorite game in the whole world.

(darklands is pretty good too though)
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

What was so bad about the U8 engine? It seemed pretty advanced to me, even though I didn't like the game. It just lacked some common usable objects that we expected from previous games. Oh and if you just don't like that angle view, then, can't help you there. :)
shortsight

Post by shortsight »

the angle was indeed bad but the interface was terrible... I mean cmon, jumping?! and the magic was extremely rough, plus fighting wasn't much fun either..

don't get me wrong now, the game did have it's high points but on the whole it was a lot less playable than the preceding two ultimas.
It wasn't bad for a normal game but for an ultima it was pretty weak.
--------------------------------------------------------
-bad movement
-no companions
-pseudo retarded magic
-small, non-interactive world
-very linear plot

+beutifull
+much better music
+an interesting idea.

one of the most important things that ultima did up to that point was give you the feeling of freedom (in the game, not life) of action.
you could get on boats, fly carpets, make bread, go adventuring, do all these subplots or not, ect.
that was severely lacking in U8 and that sucked.
in a lot of ways u8 was a smaller game. kind of an aftershock.
in my opinion they should have gone more in the direction of fallout instead of diablo. maybe ultima would still be around then.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

uh? (I know it is bad to continue a discussion about wether U8 sucks or not).

- bad movement, I can only agree with the jumping stuff, but the later patch corrected this and it wasn't a problem anymore and kind of interesting as it was more natural to have also jumping in a game (as for bad movement, try the two Crusader games made with the same engine - much worse movement)

- no companions sucked
-Magic system was okay. After all you are on a different world and the magic needed to be different and storywise tied to the titans. It WAS cumbersome but that made it also more interesting (after all the only difficulty in SI magic was in getting the book and then buying the spells, the ring of reagents made it way too easy).
- small non-interactive world: true but it still took me a long time to finish it
-very linear plot, yes, as linear as SI I'd say

As for making it more like Fallout or Diablo, Origin didn't have much to compare when they released Ultima 8 (1994). It was two more games until the release of Diablo (1996) and three more for the release of Fallout (1997). The reason Ultima is not around anymore is very much tied to Ultima Online, EA and deadlines.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Hebrew Dragon

Post by Hebrew Dragon »

The one thing that always made me crazy about U7 was the combat model. I would love to see something more turn-based.

About a year ago, I downloaded the Exult code to see what would be involved in making U7 have turn based combat. Alas, I didn't get very far, but I always hoped 'someone' would do it...
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Combat: No turn-based option, but you can halt combat and set each of your party's targets.
Daemongar

Post by Daemongar »

Actually, I'd like to see U8 done with NWN - probably wouldn't be too hard, what with summoning elementals, all spells could be reproduced - hell, it could be multiplayer as well. Actually, at the rate things are going, it hopefully will.

I really liked U8 - not the jumping, megaproblems, whatever, but it had a story and a mood and somewhere along the way it got screwed up, but it had so much potential and was pretty far ahead for its time, like U7 but unlike U9. But the speechpack for $20 (which I bought) was rediculous.
Andy too

Post by Andy too »

But the speechpack for $20 (which I bought) was rediculous.
I agree the speech pack was pretty light, and there was evidently supposed to be full speech in it in the later released CD version, but that got scrapped for one reason or another. And lets not forget that there was supposed to be a U8 part 2, and the Lost Vale subplot. Given a true amount of time this game would have blossomed with plots (which were cut much worse than SI). But I could whale and moan all about it for eons, and without any other information forthcoming we will continue to remain in the dark about such things. I am not saying such things shouldn't be brought up from time to time. After all, when you get no answer the first time that you ask a question, you may get an answer the next.

One of the most outstanding things about U8 was its creepy forboding music.
Withstand the Fury

Post by Withstand the Fury »

I'd have to say that, since I'm really looking forward to the Ultima 6 Online project, a network-playable Exult would be a damn fine thing.

Another thought: in-game fabricateable objects. In FOV, you got to forge a sword (albeit from a pre-made blank). You can also bake bread. It would be too cool if you could bulid small structures. But that would probably take more technical kung-fu than it would be worth:
- you'd have to implement a way to cut down/uproot trees
- there's all the challenges of making the walls (I doubt players would be impressed if they had to lay each brick by hand)
- persistence is another thing: the created walls and floors would have to be permanent objects
- elevations and multiple floors would be hell

Meh, it was a pipe-dream anyhow. Net-play would still rock.

Cheers,
WtF Dragon
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Just curious, but what would an "Ultima 6 Online" or "Ultima 7 Online" look like? I keep thinking of Furcadia, which looks like Ultima 6 (not surprisingly), but is pretty much just a chat room.
Withstand the Fury

Ultima 6 Online is a proect by Galleon Dragon. You can check out his site here: http://www.geocities.com/galleondragon/

It is litereally Ultima 6, with multiplayer support added. It looks and, I would imagine, plays just like the original. I don't know how he wants to implement conversations, though it wouldn't surprise me if he implemented them to appear as the same sort of conversations you can have with normal NPCs. Or he might have other plans.

Cheers,
WtF Dragon
Withstand the Fury

Of course, to do this in Ultima 7 would require another way of sending messages...perhaps a text parser? If you want to avoid things becoming a big chat-room, then make the conversations similar to player-NPC conversations...those are generally one-on-one (though I could see a system that supported multiple participants. But at least people would have to move around and physically seek out people to talk to.

And then they'd just be standing around talking. There'd be no need to turn the world into a bog of conversation barks.

Cheers,
WtF Dragon
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

I think the idea of an online U7 or U8 would be totally kickin'! Though the no-party thing on U8 was a bit of an annoyance, I would say it was an overall very good game. Granted, it did have its flaws, as anything does, but I think the jumping and kicking made it a little more realistic. Also, the alternate spells/spell system really made it seem like another world, just not another Britannia-esque world. Besides the story being very linear and kinda wierd at times, it was really cool. I think if they were to implement an online feature to it, they should make a character selection menu, that way there would be a little less confusion and also have a way where you could have your Avatar's name appear kinda like in UO. I also think a few more items would add a interesting touch to the game.
Atom

Post by Atom »

A Collaborative single player is a nice idea.. one player go Avatar,
one Iolo and so on..

and e nice single package for both Ultima7 plus Ultima8 is cool
too.. ;-ppp
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

I would like to know, what is with all this multiplayer madness? It has been appearing in all places related to an Ultima rewrite/remake. If you want multiplayer, go play UO. BG, SI, U8 and any other Ultima I can think of must forecully be single player. They are designed for one player, and not appropriate for multiplayer at all.

It's not that easy to put multiplayer support to Exult and then expect to play BG and SI multiplayer. I don't even think it's possible with a custom made game created with ExultStudio. Why? Because conversations, targetting and other things halt the game action, and there are so many other things not appropriate for multiplayer gameplay that I really don't see why should it be implemented at all. It would require lots of rewrites, and consume large amounts of time, time that could better be invested in writing a custom made engine from scratch, aimed at multiplayer gameplay from the beginning, and mucho more powerful than what BG/SI need.
- Gradilla Dragon
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Gradilla: That's exactly what I've been thinking.

It would be fun to add multi-player capabilities to Exult, and I'd really like to do it just for the experience. But other than making a graphical chat room, I still don't see how it would make sense.

The best I can come up with is that additional players could follow the Avatar around, help fight battles, talk to each other, and watch the conversations with NPC's. Real players could not become normal companions, because their actions are often scripted, especially in SI.
Achile dragon

Post by Achile dragon »

Why not restor old serpent isle plot (2nd part). i know it's hard but surely the usecode can reveal much much more
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Well, restoring the old plot is more reasonable than the multiplayer thing, but I think it could lead to some disagreements. It would be nice to play it the way it was meant to be, but I know many will have different points of view about how it was meant to be.

Since none of us were from Origin, much guessing will be involved. Anyways, I would like to see it happen, to play SI and see if I like the way some other fan viewed it based on the unused usecode found in the game and those old documents.
- Gradilla Dragon
MV

Post by MV »

I think that unused code and those documents posted here a while ago would go rather nicely. :) They seem to pretty much cover it all.

But on the other hand, when pentagram gets under way, someone making a "lost vale" for it would probably involve lots of guessing as to what it was supposed to be about.
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

Oww, I supposed this was going to go offtopic but... not that much ;)

Well, I've been thinking about it, and here's simple things I'd add.

1) Working OpenGl support
This would bring hardware seamless scaling and antialias.

2) More realistic lighting
Possibly achieved by OpenGl

3) Ground shadows
This is easy after all. A shadow shape may be easily generated for each
shape and translucency would do the rest (useless to say, again, OpenGl
blending would help a lot with translucent shapes)

4) External paperdolling
(I agree with that, although I understand the complexity of this matter,
which would require splitting human shapes into a lot of pieces, each
with its frames... eww)
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

The Final Goal of Exult is so obvious... TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I thought it was to get us all jobs in the game industry:-)
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

Well, once you take over the world, I'm pretty sure you can get whatever job you want, hehe.
http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com
Fantasy art/Illustration by Brendan Setaro
Ezric

Post by Ezric »

Quoting DrCode:

"It would be fun to add multi-player capabilities to Exult, and I'd really like to do it just for the experience. But other than making a graphical chat room, I still don't see how it would make sense."

I just erased my original response before hitting "Post". It was too wordy and too quasi-religious :). Instead, let me just say this:

The reasons to do it are as varied as the people who mention it here. It doesn't need to "make sense" to everyone who reads about it. How many people have come here wondering why in the heck people would devote so much time into coding Exult at all? Those poeple just don't "get it" and making them understand is virtually impossible. The same goes for multiplayer Exult. For those that "get it", it's obvious that it needs to be done. For those that don't, I guess it isn't so obvious, and I suspect it might never be ;).
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

well, the multiplayer advocates still only say add it, but don't have a clue in what way to add it.
- chat room? I guess not a problem
- to play together to solve the game? how do you intend to do this with how the game works?
- To explore the world as it is?
- to make it like UO? That would mean a lot of work and in the end you end up with a bloated boring chat room again
- to play against each other? Play a 3d-shooter online...

Not to mention the crappy combat system of U7...

That said, I'll say it again, if you want a chat room go to IRC, if you want more go code it. If you can't code, learn it. We will be happy to add patches...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

My view is that I have no desire to play multiplayer games, but it would be fun to work on one. Generally, I agree with Dominus (except for the "go code it" part, since that's what I'd want to do:-)). But I'd much rather try to create a new single-player game, or do more mods like the "Island Patch".
Soule

Post by Soule »

DrCode,

The reason I have been following the progress for exult is to see it become a tool for making new games. I am so happy it's one of your goals
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

I would like also to point out the i18n issues currently present. I know it's been a while since we talked about it, but it's kind of a pain to see "Game saved" when I play with the French version of SI.
There are still a bunch of phrases hard coded in English in the code and it would useful to separate them. (e.g: keyactions.cc@106: gwin->get_effects()->center_text("Game saved"); )

There are a bunch of other instances like that. If you wish, I can browse the code and isole all those instances. Let me know.

Artaxerxes
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Sure. Some of those may already exist in "text.flx"; for the others, we have our own text file now.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

Oh absolutely, but there are some text left over. I'll make the list ASAP.

Artaxerxes
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

just to make sure I got that right before I proceed:

do you want to locate all the strings in English used in the game OR all the strings in English found in exult's source code (incl. debug info, menus etc)?

Artaxerxes
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

while we're at it, I've got another point to bring up that might alter how to do things:

when you have debug more enabled and you single click on an item, you get the item's description on the stderr (or stdout). The description comes from the file text.flx. However, for practical reasons, it has been required to use the 20ish first bytes to place the accents. Consequently, if you single-clicked on a light, you'd get:
"Lumière"
on-screen but since the è is mapped to ^L, you'd get:
"Lumi
re"
on the debug output.

Would it be possible to also load a mapping table (the one used for translation) so that the proper text appears?

I guess it's not such a big deal.

Artaxerxes
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I think I'd just want the ones the user sees. There shouldn't be that many left.

If it looks like a lot of changes (like if we do menus), then this should probably wait until after the 1.2 release. I think the code should be almost frozen, other than "safe" bug fixes.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

So far, I've got quite a bit, even when not considering the debug data:
actors.cc: say("\"Cheater!\"");
bggame.cc: "alleviated by the satisfaction that you",
bggame.cc: "and all of the branches were",
bggame.cc: "by The Fellowship and even avenged the",
bggame.cc: const char *txt_msg = "Driven by Exult";
bggame.cc: const char *txt_msg[] = { "with help from",
bggame.cc: font->center_text(ibuf, centerx, centery-10, "The end of Ultima VII");
bggame.cc: "helpless to do anything about",
bggame.cc: "In the months following the climactic",
bggame.cc: "is set upon the long road to recovery",
bggame.cc: "Lord British decreed that",
bggame.cc: "one that will take you",
bggame.cc: "Perhaps your puny Earth shall be",
bggame.cc: "solved the gruesome murders committed",
bggame.cc: "stranded in Britannia is somewhat",
bggame.cc: "The Exult Team"};
bggame.cc: "The Fellowship be outlawed",
bggame.cc: "The frustration you feel at having been",
bggame.cc: "to a place called",
bggame.cc: "to enter other worlds",
browser.cc: font->draw_text(ibuf, centerx-20, centery-5, "No Shape");
browser.cc: font->draw_text(ibuf, centerx-20, centery-5, "No Shape");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Added 100 gold coins");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Archwizard Mode Disabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Archwizard Mode Enabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Avatar is now female");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Avatar is now male");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Eggs display disabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Eggs display enabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Game clock incremented");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("God Mode Disabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("God Mode Enabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Hack mover Disabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Hack mover Enabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Infravision Disabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Infravision Enabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Map Editor Mode Disabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Map Editor Mode Enabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Maximum level reached");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("NPC Numbers Disabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("NPC Numbers Enabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("NPC Tool Actor Grabbing Disabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("NPC Tool Actor Grabbing Enabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Object created");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Object deleted");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Party healed");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Pick Pocket Disabled");
cheat.cc: eman->center_text("Pick Pocket Enabled");
cheat_screen.cc: "asleep", // 0x01
cheat_screen.cc: "Bake",
cheat_screen.cc: "Blacksmith",
cheat_screen.cc: "charmed", // 0x02
cheat_screen.cc: clock->get_hour()center_text("Combat paused");
combat.cc: eman->center_text("Combat resumed");
exult.cc: if (!silent) eman->center_text("Screenshot");
exult.cc: if (!silent) eman->center_text("Screenshot failed");
exult.cc: if (!silent) eman->center_text("Too many screenshots");
exultmenu.cc: centerx, topy+20, "WARNING");
exultmenu.cc: centerx, topy+40, "Could not find the data files for either");
exultmenu.cc: centerx, topy+50, "\"The Black Gate\" or \"Serpent Isle\".");
exultmenu.cc: centerx, topy+60, "Please edit the configuration file");
exultmenu.cc: centerx, topy+70, "and restart Exult");
exultmenu.cc: cheating->add_choice("Off");
exultmenu.cc: cheating->add_choice("On");
exultmenu.cc: fullscreen->add_choice("Off");
exultmenu.cc: fullscreen->add_choice("On");
exultmenu.cc: midiconv->add_choice("None");
exultmenu.cc: palfades->add_choice("Off");
exultmenu.cc: palfades->add_choice("On");
exultmenu.cc: playintro->add_choice("Off");
exultmenu.cc: playintro->add_choice("On");
exultmenu.cc: playscene->add_choice("Off");
exultmenu.cc: playscene->add_choice("On");
exultmenu.cc: sfxconv->add_choice("None");
game.cc: set_avname("Newbie");
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext1[0] = "Disabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext1[1] = "Enabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext2[0] = "Disabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext2[1] = "Enabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext3[0] = "Disabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext3[1] = "Enabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext4[0] = "Disabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext4[1] = "Enabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext5[0] = "Disabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext5[1] = "Enabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: stats[0] = "Disabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: stats[1] = "Left";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: stats[2] = "Middle";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: stats[3] = "Right";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[0] = "Disabled";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[10] = "Dark gray";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[11] = "White";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[1] = "Purple";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[2] = "Orange";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[3] = "Light Gray";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[4] = "Green";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[5] = "Yellow";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[6] = "Pale Blue";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[7] = "Dark Green";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[8] = "Red";
gumps/GameplayOptions_gump.cc: textbgcolor[9] = "Bright White";
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc:static const char *canceltext = "CANCEL";
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc:static const char *deletetext = "DELETE";
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc:static const char *loadtext = "LOAD";
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc:static const char *savetext = "SAVE";
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc: strcpy (newname, "Quick Save");
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc: suffix = "nd";
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc: suffix = "rd";
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc: suffix = "st";
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc: text = "Empty Slot";
gumps/Newfile_gump.cc: text = "Quick Save";
gumps/VideoOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext[0] = "Disabled";
gumps/VideoOptions_gump.cc: enabledtext[1] = "Enabled";
keyactions.cc: gwin->get_effects()->center_text("Game restored");
keyactions.cc: gwin->get_effects()->center_text("Game saved");
keyactions.cc: gwin->get_effects()->center_text("Object created");
keyactions.cc: scroll->add_text("Available under the terms of the ");
keyactions.cc: scroll->add_text("Exult V"VERSION"\n");
keyactions.cc: scroll->add_text("GNU General Public License\n\n");
keys.cc: { "ABOUT", ActionAbout, 0, "About Exult", true, false, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionBrighter, 0, "Increase brightness", true, false, NONE, true },
keys.cc: ActionCombatStats, 0, "Show combat stats", true, false, SERPENT_ISLE, false },
keys.cc: ActionCopy, 0, "Copy Selected Objects", true, false, NONE, true},
keys.cc: ActionCreateShape, 0, "Create last shape", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionCut, 0, "Cut Selected Objects", true, false, NONE, true},
keys.cc: ActionDeleteObject, 0, "Delete object", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionDeleteSelected, 0, "Delete selected", true, true, NONE, true },
keys.cc: ActionFaceStats, 0, "Change Face Stats State", true, false, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionFullscreen, 0, "Toggle fullscreen", true, false, NONE, true },
keys.cc: ActionGender, 0, "Change gender", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionGodMode, 0, "Toggle god mode", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionGrabActor, 0, "Grab NPC for Cheat Screen", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionInfravision, 0, "Toggle infravision", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionMoveSelected, 0, "Move selected", true, true, NONE, true },
keys.cc: ActionNaked, 0, "Toggle naked mode", true, true, SERPENT_ISLE, false },
keys.cc: ActionNPCNumbers, 0, "Toggle NPC Numbers", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionPaste, 0, "Paste Selected Objects", true, false, NONE, true},
keys.cc: ActionPetra, 0, "Toggle Petra mode", true, true, SERPENT_ISLE, false },
keys.cc: ActionPickPocket, 0, "Toggle Pick Pocket", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionResDecrease, 0, "Decrease resolution", true, true, NONE, true },
keys.cc: ActionResIncrease, 0, "Increase resolution", true, true, NONE, true },
keys.cc: ActionScreenshot, 0, "Take screenshot", true, false, NONE, true },
keys.cc: ActionShapeBrowser, 0, "Shape browser", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionSIIntro, 0, "Show Alternate SI intro", true, true, SERPENT_ISLE, false },
keys.cc: ActionSkinColour, 0, "Change skin colour", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionSkipLift, 0, "Decrement skiplift", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionSoundTester, 0, "Sound tester", false, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionTeleport, 0, "Teleport to cursor", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionTime, 0, "Next time period", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionToggleEggs, 0, "Toggle egg display", true, true, NONE, false },
keys.cc: ActionWizard, 0, "Toggle archwizard mode", true, true, NONE, false },
npc/npc.cc: bye = Sentence::create("Bye");
sigame.cc: "a place called the Serpent Isle" };
sigame.cc: "Avatar destroys the Black Gate" };
sigame.cc: const char *and_a[2] = { "and a map showing the way to",
sigame.cc: const char *bg_fellow[] = { "Eighteen months after the destruction",
sigame.cc: const char *my_leige = "My leige";
sigame.cc: const char *soon_i[2] = { "Soon I and my horde of muppets will",
sigame.cc: const char *there_i[2] = { "There I shall outline my plan",
sigame.cc: const char *txt_msg[] = { "with help from",
sigame.cc: const char *you_must[2] = { "You must go to the Serpent Isle",
sigame.cc: const char *you_shall[2] = { "you shall follow the unwitting",
sigame.cc: "dismantling of The Fellowship"};
sigame.cc: "Driven by Exult" };
sigame.cc: "human Gwenno to the Serpent Isle" };
sigame.cc: "I must send the Avatar through",
sigame.cc: "of the Black Gate and the",
sigame.cc: "The Exult Team",
sigame.cc: "to learn the secret of Acne Medication" };

I'm still going through the code.
Artaxerxes
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Thanks for the 'legwork' :-)

Btw, maybe the mailing list or the bug tracker would be a better place for this.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I'm surprised that the intro and end-game texts aren't in a U7 data file.
Achile Dragon

Post by Achile Dragon »

Where these text comme from
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

from the code of Exult. It is hard coded in it and it would be better if it wasn't. That would be a great feature for i18n (internationalisation). Like playing Si-french and even have the intro in French etc.

Artaxerxes
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

A thought: Even though we can't change the text that comes with U7, would it make sense if our own text was stored as Unicode?
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

why not? After all, wasn't there someone also doing a russian translation of either BG or SI?

Artaxerxes
Quester

Post by Quester »

for russuan translation I use a KOI8 encoding (1 byte), but not Usecode.
roman_

Post by roman_ »

Dr. Code...I was on this forum a long time ago, I'd say 1 year or 2. around version .93

remember the idea of making the soldiers fight monsters that come into town instead of sitting there.

Soldier1: There goes the avatar again.
Soldier2: Yup, running from those darn headless.
Soldier1: Wanna do anything about it?
Soldier2: Nah...
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Maybe the people should band together and fight the monsters too. There aren't enough guards, so they should have a militia. The people will attack you for stealing and killing already so there must be some code precedent.
Achile Dragon

Post by Achile Dragon »

I check the usecode and I can't find the shamino the arnach, Iolo the mad and Dupré the wantoness segment and when I save people form holocaust by cheating all the post-bane conversation dosen't occurs.