U7:TFL

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Wizardry Dragon

U7:TFL

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

Hi there guys,
I have been scarce or well not around at all for a long while now. But well, like many other people, my workplace is closed with COVID19, so ....

TFL has been a hell of a thing for me because it's a passion project that the passion never really died for, but real life has had me swept up in a new job for .. hell, going on four years now, with very little time to work on much of anything.

With the COVID19 situation being what it is now, I want to take the opprotunity to look at getting what I had going at least working on current Exult (it doesn't seem to) and then going from there. I don't want to make any promises about anything other than that, for now, given life might sweep me right back away once this thing passes. I have ambitions for this that I still want to fulfill, but at this rate I'm on my way to see Duke Nukem Forever 2 finished before this is.

I'm not really sure what I need to do to get it working with current Exult, as I've not much kept up with its development. Can anyone offer some guidance on that?

~ Wiz
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
Knight Captain

Re: U7:TFL

Post by Knight Captain »

I downloaded TFL and installed it to my BlackGate folder, but I get this error when trying to start the mod:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Assertion failed!

Program: C:\path_to_exult\Exult.exe
File: ./shapes/vgafile.h
Line: 347

Expression: shapes != 0

For information how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

After installing the mod are there any other config steps needed?
Wizardry Dragon

Normally, there shouldn't be, if you used the installer.

But ... that thing is (as you can likely see) quite old. It looks like it's not finding a .vga file that it's looking for, but they should all be there, unless the arrangement/organization changed.

~ Wiz
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

The problem seems to be with initgame.dat. If I remove just that file the game loads.

With that file in place, I cannot start exult.exe --edit for the game either.
Wizardry Dragon

That's interesting. They've changed how to do my funky intro screen changes then. I'll have to look into that.
~ Wiz
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Wizardry Dragon

Hmm, either that or it doesn't like chunk edits. Forgot thats in there too. That was always a fuss.
~ Wiz
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I'd bet on the chunk edits but... who knows...

Welcome back Wiz!
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Wizardry Dragon

Hi there :)
I kind of disappeared into a new job at a print shop and it kind of consumed my life, but with COVID19 going on here, I have some free time on my hands, so I wanted to at least rehabilitate/fix/whatever things here so people can prod around with what we'd gotten done here.
~ Wiz
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Oh, hi there.

I can take a look at the lastest snapshot of TFL and see what is the issue.

By the way, Exultbot, ChanServ, and me have been keeping the channel alive in IRC.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Hm, I see that SF has decommissioned CVS write support. I can port it all to git or SVN if you want, and maybe put on Github as well.
------
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Dale

Post by Dale »

Just popping in to express my excitement for this project being re-visited.
i30817

Post by i30817 »

If I could have a git repo for this or for the u6 project (that is still ongoing: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/ )

I could maybe add them to the ppa build, like i add sifixes and bgkeyring.
i30817

Post by i30817 »

Depending on if i have to build anything, since i don't really have to build anything on keyring or sifixes since it's already part of the exult makefile.
yp974

Post by yp974 »

Hi everyone,
I have installed TFL (alpha 0.1) successfully. But In the game , maps are weird , some tiles are missing, and there are things that shouldn't be there. Do other people have the same bug? Thanks in advance
Wizardry Dragon

Yay, I finally got the new forums to work.

@Marzo - I put what I have on a gitlab instance run by a good IRL friend of mine, it's here - http://git.postactiv.com/team-tfl/thefeudallands

I actually am unsure if I have everything there, it's been so long, but I will go through as I have time.

@Dale - I've worked on it on and off in my free time but I've been sorely negligent about updating it. A little bit of coming up with story notes while on break at work for the most part. But I'd like to at least get it back up to scratch while COVID19 is giving me a reprieve from work.

@yp974 - this is likely because the chunk edits have gone bad somehow, I'll have to go over them.
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Wizardry Dragon

I don't actually have an IRC app on my computer anymore because the old one I use doesn't work on Win10, and unfortunately that's where I'm stuck most of the time due to day job requirements. But if someone has a recommendation for something that works on Win10, I can drop in when I have the time :)
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I myself am using HexChat; it works well enough, especially if you never need to type non-English characters.
------
Wizardry Dragon

Been trying to get my head around the chunks not working, because redoing them would be a lot of work ... kinda suspect I might have to though :(
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca