New version 1.6 released

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Dominus
Site Admin

New version 1.6 released

Post by Dominus »

Almost ten years after the version 1.4.9rc1, 16 years after the last stable version (v1.2) and 28 years after the official release of Ultima VII - The Black Gate (16 April 1992), we are finally ready to release a new version. With many developers busy with their real life and most having moved on, it took us this long. We have been busy squashing more of the inexplicable crashes but these changes will force us to stop supporting some ancient operating systems.
That's why we decided to release one last version of Exult, Exult Studio and Exult's tools for the old OS' before moving on with development. For really old Windows operating systems (95/98/ME/NT/2000) we prepared a legacy download.
Gotcha!

Re: Exult v1.6 released

Post by Gotcha! »

Congratulations!
It's awesome that you guys are still pumping out new versions after all this time. I wholeheartedly thank you all. :)
NotStanley4330

Post by NotStanley4330 »

YAY! Was not sure if it would ever happen, Congrats!
dreammaster

Post by dreammaster »

Congrats and kudos! \o/
Nickisaacson

Post by Nickisaacson »

CONGRATS!
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Congrats, I've been checking out this project on and off since 1.0 came out all those years ago. 18 years, holy @!#$. Congrats to all of you. This is an awesome project and keeps this gem of a game playable on modern platforms. You guys are truly Avatar level heroes :D
clyde

Post by clyde »

Glad to see that Exult is still alive after all these years. Thank you very much for your great work to anyone who is involved! I know from experience that keeping a project going for so long is nothing you can take for granted. I appreciate your efforts.
teamster1975

Post by teamster1975 »

Congratulations team! I've been following this since about 0.2 so 21 years now!
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

I didn't expect to see a new release but haven't been following too closely. Thanks for keeping this alive!

Hopefully my spaghetti code in Glimmerscape won't be broken now :P
Thirith

Post by Thirith »

I'm getting the following error when I launch the downloaded .exe file:

Cannot import dll: C:\Users\matt_\AppData\Local\Temp\is-75TG9.tmp\exconfig.dll

Any idea what the problem might be?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

No idea how to solve that. I'm looking into it but can't find the reason why this sometimes happens for people.
I cannot reproduce it on any of my Windows VMs but it always happens in my Crossover install.
What Windows OS are you running (if possible with build number).
And could you see if disabling any anti-virus might help?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Thirith

Post by Thirith »

I'm using Windows 10 Pro. The only anti-virus software that's running is the one that comes with W10 (Defender?).
Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Sorry re: the double post: I've just tried deactivating Windows Defender, but I get the same result and error message.
Thirith

Post by Thirith »

And here's the hat trick (and then I'll let someone else post ;-) ): v1.7 (the snapshot) produces the same error, but v1.49rc1 doesn't. Here's hoping that helps somewhat!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

It's really strange. I can't get behind what's causing this for you.
I prepared a zipped version without installer on our download page (direct link https://sourceforge.net/projects/exult/ ... p/download)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Brilliant, thanks! That's a good workaround.
Grimlock Dragon

Post by Grimlock Dragon »

Thanks for the continued effort after all of these years! Everyone that has worked on it, and continues to work on it, deserves a good steak dinner, and smile.

I've toyed with developing a side quest from time to time, but I don't have the time, or skill. To those that have put forth the effort, and time, I solute you!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

@Thirith, could you check whether there is a msvcrt.dll in your download folder (or the folder where you have the Exult installer)? And whether your msvcrt.dll in Windows/system32 looks like the genuine Windows 10 one? (it should be version 7.0.18362.1 or so)
--
Read the Rules!
Thirith

Post by Thirith »

I just checked. There's no msvcrt.dll in any of the folders where I tried the Exult installer from. The one in windows/system32 has the version number you mentioned.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Thanks, it was worth a shot ;(
--
Read the Rules!
Wihl

Post by Wihl »

Fantastic news! U7 & SI have been my favorites for a long time, and I still play them to this day when I need a nice pick me up. Thrilled to hear that the Exult project is still alive. Thank you, very much.
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Wow congrats guys! Maybe its time to replay the VIIs again haha.
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Isewein

Re: New version 1.6 released

Post by Isewein »

Congratulations! I finally registered in this forum just to express my immense gratitude (and, not to deny it, surprise) that this milestone ha finally been reached. I had almost lost hope. Time for a series replay indeed, what with the new UIV mod for Neverwinter Nights as well.

Is 1.6 already compatible with Keyring / SI Fixes mods?