Liches leaving their prisons

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Gotcha!

Liches leaving their prisons

Post by Gotcha! »

This is one that I wanted to mention many years ago, but for some reason I keep forgetting it:

Most liches in U7 TBG are generally locked up. In the original game, I vaguely recall these liches only being a problem once you unlock the door they're behind. You can leave the door locked and not have to worry about one teleporting in your face.
Am I remembering this wrong?

Exult behaviour is that they pretty much teleport right into your face if you get near one, regardless if they're locked up or not. This makes many areas in TBG a real pain in the rear since these guys are everywhere and generally kill you on sight.
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Liches leaving their prisons

Post by Dominus »

can you give some good test cases (savegames *before* entering their "domain" and coordinates) so I can do some research?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

I don't have any save games before sweeping through the areas and already unlocked the doors, but a new game and teleporting to these locations should point out the problem:

52 N 28 E (in decimals: 1222, 0611, 00) (This one always spawns)
92 N 182 E (in decimals: 2758, 0210, 00) (This one always spawns)
107 S 184 E (in decimals: 2774, 2213, 00) (This one stays dead after killing it)

There sure are more liches, but they're not all behind locked doors. These are though.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I've looked into it and monsters shouldn't be able to teleport or summon something without line of sight. I wrote a quick fix that really needs a second opinion :)
https://github.com/exult/exult/issues/148
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

*cheers* Lock 'm up, throw away the key!

Funny how there are so many liches in TBG while Serpent Isle only has the one, Aram Dol, and even that one is introduced rather late, in the add-on.
It's like even Origin themselves thought them to be a bit overkill.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

New snapshot with the fix is up.
This lead me to
- compare with the original and realize that the fire fields need a burn mark on the floor
- realize that the fire fields the liches create were off (crazy flashing flickering)
-> tried some code which Marzo did correctly :)
Which only made us realize that these fire fields were not cleaned up by a cache out. A situation we need to avoid as that is a source of crashes...
--
Read the Rules!
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Bug hunting seems like a whack-a-mole game to me: Squish one, two more pop out. I don't envy you guys.