Large world map...

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
dino

Large world map...

Post by dino »

I'm looking for a large world map of Black Gate. I'm aware of the one at http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~wpalenst/ultima/ but that one shows mountaintops... I'd prefer one that shows the dungeons. Can anyone help?
Dino the Dark Dragon
----====[url=http://www.udic.org/]UDIC[/url]====----
Webmaster of [url=http://dino.shiftedphase.com/ultima/]Dino's Ultima Page[/url]
wjp
Site Admin

Re: Large world map...

Post by wjp »

ExultUser

Post by ExultUser »

Another thing that would be cool would be a roof-less map that included the people (maybe in their initial positions or something) and maybe some monsters etc.

Not sure how difficult that would be to produce.
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

This is the most beautiful Ultima7-related thing I've ever seen :)
By the way, speaking of rooftops, I wonder if there would be a way to remove only the rooftop you're under, and not the other ones. I always felt strange when - entering a house - I could suddenly see the inside of the other surrounding houses as well.

I am trying to implement this in my rpg and I can see only two ways:
the explicit one (marking each rooftop element of a certain roof with a unique id)
or a "smart" one which tracks the adjacent rooftop elements do determine where the roof ends...
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

smart one sounds better.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

Smart one would be also applyable to Exult.
Now, on my particular engine it's quite a hell catching up the adjacent frames due to the nature of how the world data is organized... but you have to do that just when you step under a roof element, and when you step out of it.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

The 'smart' method does sound good.
dino

Post by dino »

Thanks wjp! That map is perfect!
Dino the Dark Dragon
----====[url=http://www.udic.org/]UDIC[/url]====----
Webmaster of [url=http://dino.shiftedphase.com/ultima/]Dino's Ultima Page[/url]
TMNM Dragon

Post by TMNM Dragon »

wjp: How did you generate that map, I would like to do the same for the mod I'm working on. My u7map and u7chunks are completely different, and my shapes.vga has had some shapes replaced.
It would help in the editing process.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Check the 'buildmap' command line option:

http://exult.info/docs.php#command_line
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Excelent map! :) Would it be possible to get a map with the NPCs?
______
Angelo
Achile

Post by Achile »

A map of SI with no roof too
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

You can find one here, although it's in low quality.

http://membres.lycos.fr/sergorn/ultima/ ... ndex.shtml
______
Angelo
Achile

Post by Achile »

Without roof
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

you know, if you get a little creative with the link posted by wjp, you might find what you are looking for...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

The problem is that it doesn't create a single map. It creates lots of PCX images. Is there a command to make it make a single map? If not, how can I join the files in a single one?
______
Angelo
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Try ImageMagick's montage.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

actually I meant the link wjp gave in the 2nd post in this thread.
--
Read the Rules!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

wjp: Gonna check it out.

Dominus: you mean this? http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~wpalenst ... /SImap.png
______
Angelo
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

ImageMagicks is command line based. :(
______
Angelo
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

yes of course. So?
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

RTFM :)
- Gradilla Dragon
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Angelo: No, of course I meant
http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~wpalenst ... oroofs.png which is really just a slight correction of wjp's first answer.
--
Read the Rules!
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Dominus: Angelo wasn't asking for SImap_noroofs; Achile was.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

ah, kind of hard to keep it all in order :-)
--
Read the Rules!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Read a complicated manual just to use the program once? Nah. I hate command lines. Although I still remember using DOS, years ago...
______
Angelo
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Sometimes ImageMagick is the only practical way to do things. Suppose you have 4 images that you want to resize to 64x64 pixels. You could do those easily in a graphics program. Now suppose you have 100 images you want to resize.
Gradilla Dragon

Don't cry and do your homework. Command-line is more than 100 times faster than graphical interface.
- Gradilla Dragon
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

That's an understatement. Oh, the joys of batch files...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me. :P
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I don't think so. It would be easier to add images I wanna join using a dialogue window, select all and execute, than writting 140+ ultima pcx names in the command line. For example.

About the batch files, I wonder if those map authors used this software and, if yes, if they use batch files (that could be sent to me ;))...
______
Angelo
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

> It would be easier to add images I wanna join using a dialogue window,
> select all and execute, than writting 140+ ultima pcx
> names in the command line.

That's what wildcards/globbing are/is for.

> About the batch files, I wonder if those map authors used
> this software and, if yes, if they use batch files (that could be sent to me ;))...

Yes, I used montage (that's why I mentioned it). No, I didn't use a batch file. It's just one command after all.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

to give a concrete example, say you want to move every PNG file with name (before extension) ending with "_big" to a folder "Big", you would do:
$ mv *_big.png Big

Now tell me how you do that with GUI tools as fast as I would.
Note, this is not a rant about GUI. I'm just trying to show you it is worth using command line sometimes (or often or always depending on who you talk with)

Artaxerxes
Gradilla Dragon

or say you want to move all files ending with _aa, _ae and _af to a folder "stuff", you would do:
$ mv *_a[aef].png stuff

How do you do that with a GUI? If you ever can, is it faster?
- Gradilla Dragon
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Hi guys,

I think most of the stuff you've been describing could be done easily using the batch options included in Irfanview (which is a GUI-application).

It's a Windows app, yet it should run under Wine too.

Gerry
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

> Yes, I used montage (that's why I mentioned it). No, I didn't use a batch file. It's just one command after all.

It would be great if you could tell me what is that command. :)

About the Command Line vs GUI issue: that's right, there are things it's more practical doing with command lines than with a GUI, and vice-versa. So it depends on each one's needs. I, for example, won't ever need (or very rarely) to use the commands you discribed. It's very neat saying you can do this and that... But if I don't need that, why bother?

Sometimes knowing how to make batch files is useful (sometimes I do it to rename lots of files, to make backup-making batch files, etc). But in this case, there's only one task I need, and after that I won't need anymore. Is it just being lazy for not wanting to spend hours reading a manual and figuring out how to do it? :)
______
Angelo
Gradilla Dragon

Don't be so lazy. You need it now, so learn how to do it. You have spent HOURS expecting someone to tell you how to do it, when you would have only spent MINUTES reading the manual and doing it yourself.
- Gradilla Dragon
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

> So it depends on each one's needs.

That's very naive. Your so-called needs depend a lot on what you know you can do. The more tools you learn, the more you'll find you can use them to perform tasks you "need" to do, even if using them would never have occurred to you before.

Saying you don't want to learn how to use a tool just because you can't see many uses for it now sounds very short-sighted to me. But of course it's your decision to make.

Anyway, montage:

montage blue.png green.png red.png yellow.png -tile 2x2 -geometry +0+0 -borderwidth 0 m.png

That command tiles blue.png, green.png, red.png, yellow.png (the first filenames) into a 2x2 (the -tile bit) image with zero borders (borderwidth and geometry) called m.png (the last filename)

You can probably adjust it yourself to tile all 144 .pcx files into a single file. It does need a lot of memory, though, so if you plan to scale the map down afterwards, you might want to scale it down a bit before montage-ing them together.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Well, technically I didn't spent hours waiting, as I wasn't waiting doing nothing, I was occupied with other things. While reading the manual would be spending the time with something that won't be useful to me in the future. ;)

wjp: thanks for the command. I guess that i have to substitute those filenames with ultima's (and the 2x2 thing too, I guess with 12x12?). Doubt: How can I know the software will put the images in the right order?

By the way, I have 512MB ram, can I make a montage in full scale, or I'll run ou of memory?
______
Angelo
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

512mb probably isn't enough. It used up 1.5Gb of RAM and 10Gb of temp files here. It seems to be storing images in a 8 byte per pixel format internally. Maybe colourspace related. I could try experimenting a bit to see if a different target colourspace works with less memory.

Order: you have to specify the images in the right order. That's u7map00.pcx, u7map10.pcx, u7map20.pcx, ..., u7mapb0.pcx, u7map01.pcx, u7map02.pcx, ..., u7mapb2.pcx, ..., u7map0b.pcx. ... u7mapbb.pcx. In bash that could be done with

u7map[0-9ab]{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b}.pcx

but I'm not sure how the windows shell handles wildcard expansion. (Or you could rename the files to make the order more logical.)

Oh, the geometry option may have to be -geometry 2048x2048+0+0, by the way. (Otherwise the tiles might get scaled down to the default 120x120 pixels).