Oddities with linux install

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Andyf

Oddities with linux install

Post by Andyf »

Hi,
I've used exult in XP for many years now, and its great! Recently, however, I've installed it on my eeepc, running Xandros 4(-ish).

The problems come when running exult: the 'warning, could not find the data files' comes up.

It it turns out it there was nothing in gamedat (I use the Ultima collection, and gamedat doesn't get created until you've run the game and had a journey onward).

The way I initially got around this was to run the thing on my XP computer, and then copy the gamedat directly over. It worked the first time, but now comes up with the same message.

It seems to me that Exult is actually deleting the things that it needs to run, or some other such occurrence. So the game works fine, but only for the one time directly after I copied over gamedat

Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks for any help!
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Oddities with linux install

Post by Dominus »

with data we do not mean the gamedat files. the Gamedat folder only contains temporary files.
Curiosly no one ever had problems with this up to now but suddenly you are the second person this week to confuse this (I don't mean disrespect, I'm only wondering aloud - don't worry).

Please make sure you point to all the correct directories in the .exult.cfg file.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Andyf

Post by Andyf »

Arg! I'm such an eejit! You're right.

A combination of lucky occurrences hid the real problem. Its because the gamedat was pathed in, with no gamedat folder, which caused my inital guess, and the fact that it worked was just down to the path being left empty (i.e. '.') so when I copied over the gamedat files, I just happened to be in the correct directory for everything to work! I did that twice, separately (1 for serpent, 1 for BG) and only the game for which I had just copied over gamedat, worked. Which was such odd behaviour, I just assumed the gamedat fix was the what was wrong, and it was the fact that I had run exult that had broken everything.

Urg, sorry, I'm just drivelling now, thanks very much for the help, it all works now!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

A little off-topic, but how do you like your eeepc? Does Exult run at a reasonable speed on it?