I can't download Exult studio!

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Paladin

I can't download Exult studio!

Post by Paladin »

Hi.

I downloaded exult from your website more than a year ago, and I'd just like to thank you for the effort you've put into restoring Ultima 7 into playable condition. It was my favorite Ultima as a kid, and it still is now! Thanks again. :)

But anyway, I have this small problem... I checked out the pages you guys have on Exult Studio, and when I tried to download it, it reached for only about 80% (it never got more than 3 MB, and frequently didn't even make it to half) and then simply crashed. I tried to run it and it said it was corrupted and that I needed to download it again. I've tried roughly half a dozen times so far and it still didn't work. I even tried downloading it on my college PC and the same thing happened.

Can you please tell me what's wrong? Am I downloading the wrong file? I tried downloading the file marked 'Exult Studio'.

I'd greatly appreciate any help, thanks. :)
nex666

Re: I can't download Exult studio!

Post by nex666 »

Are you using a download accelerator? A download manager?
IF so try turning it off.

Post by Paladin »

No, I'm not using a download accelerator or a download manager.

Any more advice?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

and then simply crashed
What crashed? With what were you downloading the file?
I'm positive the problem is on your side, since I've just downloaded ExultStudio.exe just fine.
The only problem that could theoretically be, is that you tried to download it, while Kirben updated the file. But that hasn't been the case for over two weeks now.

Advice: Try USING a download manager (since the warning against one, is not valid for the snapshot page)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I tried this on two different PCs. One in my house and the other in my college, and neither one worked.

I guess I should try again.
What crashed? With what were you downloading the file?
My download crashed, by which I mean, it stopped prematurely. I wasn't using any download manager, but rather the standard one used by the Windows explorer.

I'm going to try again with my Opera internet explorer, it's somewhat more reliable... or so I've noticed. Wish me luck!
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

That didn't work either. Guys, I think that it might be my fault after all... or maybe I'm downloading the wrong file!

I know this sounds pretty stupid, but which download link do I use to get the studio? I think I might be using the wrong one. Is it the one under the 'snap shots' and has the words 'work in progress' in brackets?
LordHart

Post by LordHart »

What you might want to try is clearing your cache (or temporary internet files for IE users) and then trying to download it again. Sometimes, when the cache is full or near full, downloads do not finish and stop at different points. This sounds like your problem.

And yeah, you need to download this ES: http://exult.info/snapshots/ExultStudio.exe

And use it with this Exult: http://exult.info/snapshots/Exultwin32.exe
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the help, but I'm currently on vacation and I won't get back home for about another ten days. (I'm writing this from an internet cafe)

I don't think cleaning up the history of my IE will do much good, since I've already done that before (at least, my dad does that all the time when he performs a virus scan).

Also, I tried it on Opera explorer... and I ALWAYS wipe clean the history of everything whenver I'm finished using it after every session, so it won't do much over there.

Anyway, I think I'll try downloading it over here on this computer and see if it works.

Thanks again for all the help. :)
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Still no good... ah well, I'll try downloading it on my Dad's laptop computer. It's really fast and hopefully will do the trick.

I'm really determined to get Exult studio... I've always wanted to create my own games using the Ultima 7 engine and I won't give up that easily!!!
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

OK, I'm back from my vacation (finally). I'm starting to download Exult Win 32 right now. After that's finished, I'll try to download the studio. If it doesn't work again, I'll try to use a download manager to see if there's any success.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

VICTORY!!!!!

I did it! I downloaded exult studio... and it's all thanks to you! :)

I've just installed it and I need to get a hang of the basic rudamentary ways of using it. I tried to run it without exult running and it gave me an error, but I guess I need to run it whilst exult is already going on.

Thank you all for help! :)
Michele

Post by Michele »

That error is due to the "Start in" field on the shortcut being blank.
Place the path to it in that "Start in " field.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the help, but I got it to work already! :)

The whole issue now is knowing how to do things with it. I checked out the studio doc that you people have on this website and I found it pretty interesting, but I still have some tiny little questions to ask. I'll do them right now.

1: In regards to creating NPCs. I've managed to create some NPCs, give them shapes and whatnot, but I don't how to make conversations with them, edit conversation trees and that sort of stuff. I've seen others do it, I just want to know how myself.

2: This is a silly question, I know, but is Exult studio a 'concluded' program or are there going to be more releases in the future?

3: are there any Studio guides around for reference and learning? If so, please give me the links.

Thanks for everything!
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

The answers:
1) Creating conversations requires writing usecode (see answer 3 below).
2) It is a work in progress, with new features and bug fixes coming out as the devs have time to work on them and/or receive a feature request/bug report.
3) You can try ESGuides (http://www.wiredentertainment.net/exult/). There are a few tutorials there, as well as some mods from which one can learn a lot. Alun Bestor's Quests and Iteractions mod is particularly good for both.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

2. Definitely not finished, so feel free to add suggestions. I should have a little more time to work on it now.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Thanks everyone! :)