Ultima 7 Construction Set

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
foody

Ultima 7 Construction Set

Post by foody »

If I provide an easy to use and powerful GUI Ultima 7 Construction set like that you see for example of RPG Maker 2000 and so on, but much more powerful and still easy to use would you guys be able to make the engine understand and work with my Editor provided that I provide the source code for the editor and tell you how it works and functions? Because right now there is really NO Ultima 7 Construction set, all of them are hacks and require the main Ultima 7 file to work, with mine it doesn't. All it needs is an Engine to run your design.
wjp
Site Admin

Re: Ultima 7 Construction Set

Post by wjp »

What exactly do you mean by 'make the engine understand and work with my editor'? Excuse me if I misunderstand, but isn't it more common to build an editor around an engine, rather than the other way around?

Your post is a bit short on details, I'm afraid, so it's hard to give a proper answer.

Did you see Exult Studio, by the way? It should already support starting a new game from scratch, without using the U7 data files.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Since Exult is already the most popular way to play U7 these days, it's up to you to make sure your U7ConstructionSet works with it.
foody

Post by foody »

If what you say it true then how come I am not seeing new Ultima 7 style games with their own graphics set, etc?
foody

Post by foody »

I tried it and it looks like it still needs Ultima 7 Data set in order for it to even run. It still relies on the Ultima 7 data set and you still need to own a copy of this game before you can use Studio. I guess the only other alternative to release one self from this restriction is to create the whole thing from scratch.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Personally, I'd say "the more the merrier." The more that things (and people) work together, the better. No body is disputing that Exult, and Exult Studio are monumental feats, but as with any program there's always room for improvement in the sence of community contribution.

If foody can make games easier to construct, then I think that would be great. I'm not the best at coding. So, anybody that says they can make things easier, I am all for. What specifically did you have in mind foody?
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

The reason you don't see all-new games is that it's a hell of a lot of work, and nobody's done it yet. There are some current limitations: For example you'd have to make 'gumps' (dialog boxes and inventory displays) with the same dimensions as those in U7, since we have those hard-coded. We've been (slowly) fixing things like that.
foody

Post by foody »

Oh nothing. I am thinking of just creating a whole plain editor that makes game like Ultima 7 style. The editor would be easy to use with click and play scripting.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

If what you say it true then how come I am not seeing new Ultima 7 style games with their own graphics set, etc?
The problem with Exult, Exult Studio and your future editor, is not the functions but the art. Your editor (generally speaking) can be godly but when there is no art, there is no joy -> no one will do a game.
Just go ahead with your editor and if something needs to be added to Exult to support your editor, just go ahead and change the exult code. If those changes are not hackish, I'm sure your patches can then be implemented.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Achenar

Post by Achenar »

I haven't necessarily thought this through properly, but I was thinking along the lines of the following...

One of the main things holding back development of new, legally distributable games from scratch through Exult / Exult Studio certainly seems to be art, as mentioned by Dominus and others above.

Would it help to create a sort of online "art repository" (in the same vein as a code repsitory) containing art contributions by as many members of the Exult community as possible? The idea being that people would freely provide their art for use and distribution in games by others.

Whilst the task of a single person creating all the art for a new game is overwhelming, this arrangement would allow people to contribute manageable chunks of art. E.g. a single person could easily whip up a character (around 24 frames?) in a week or two.

I don't even think it would be necessary to have a "shared vision" of what the art style should look like. People could just submit what they like, and given enough variety in the repository, games would eventually sprout using what's available (or indeed prompting further art development along a particular theme).

Also, although everyone could submit their own 'style' of art, it would all fit the appropriate "visual format" for Exult/U7 - i.e. the right dimensions and shape. For example, the art for new characters should be the right size and possess the standard number of frames. Or, a person contributing some new wall art (say, an "oriental style wall") should provide the entire set (i.e. oriental style walls at all directions) with the right dimensions.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense here @_@, but would be interested in what others think. Due to lack of technical knowledge - as much as I'd like to - I wouldn't be able to set anything up myself. But perhaps even something like sourceforge could faciliate something along these lines?
Achenar

Post by Achenar »

No thoughts on this one? :~~~
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Yes, I think it's a good idea.

Perhaps we could start a separate SourceForge project just for U7-style art. I wonder if there are any other project like that.
Sissy Knox Mk. II

Post by Sissy Knox Mk. II »

I really dig the idea of an art repository. I like to make new stuff like furniture and carpets and wallpaper, but I never use them in my game...but maybe someone else would like to use them?

I would certainly contribute what I've done in the past...I've got a Mariah gump, and of course a few bits of clothing, furniture, etc. In my game, I turned all of the autumn trees to spring trees, too- the look is sensational!

Well, maybe not sensational...mildly amusing is more accurate. Especially when they mention that it's almost winter...

Anyway, to summarize: I like the idea of an art repository. :)
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

*sighs* this would mean id have to do more :P

im still all for it.. lol
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Regarding the art repository, really nice idea.

Have you seen this art repository allready? http://www.reinerstileset.4players.de:1059/englisch.htm They wouldn't work for exult as they have wrong size, but the idea is the same. It's not mine though, I have no graphical talents whatsoever ;-)