Max party members in SI?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
hawkfry

Max party members in SI?

Post by hawkfry »

What is the maximum number of party members in Serpent's Isle? I just got back from freedom with an automaton and managed to get the rest of my party members Dupre, Shamino, Iolo and Boydon, making 5 party members (since I had the automaton). But when the party is split while during the quest to figure out the lightning colours, I can only get 4 people to join. The last one says that the party is too large to join.
Incriptus

Re: Max party members in SI?

Post by Incriptus »

I do belive that 4 party members is supposed to be the maximum, but that said there are a few times when that number can be gotten around. Basically it only checks for the max party size when you actually have to ask someone to join you.

When you just come out of the mountain, all of your compainons act as if they were always part of the party, and so they don't ask, and don't tell the game they won't join if they're past the limit. By the way Stephano is exempt from this rule and will join you regardless of your party size if you didn't "technically" make it out of the mountain.

With the lightning experiment it acts like all you companions were asked to leave, so you must re-ask them to join. This triggers the number of people fail safe.

As usual, this is nothing that can't be solved with cold blooded murder. Have as many companions as you can join you, then kill them. Poison, Starvation, Attack Spells work. Recruit as many new members as you can, and then ressurect your other companions. Since you don't have to ask people who died while part of your party to rejoin, they'll join up

Using this idea I usually ended up with about a seven man team. Avatar, Iolo, Shamino, Dupree, Stephano, Boydon, Gwenno. I was just testing it and i was able to get up to nine people, but when I went for ten it started to get really weirded out.

Merry Christmas
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

You can have 6 party members total in SI (Avatar and 5 others). Some people may not join if the party is of a certain size. If that happens and you have less than 6 people, try asking them to join in a different order.

Same applies to BG that has a max party size of 8
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Incriptus, can you do that in Exult or is this the original game you're talking about? I merely changed the party flag in order to get "shy" party members to rejoin but couldn't seem to get it to go above six. Does this really work?

Hey, what the heck, I think I'll go investigate... time to recruit my own metallic Order army! :)
Incriptus

Post by Incriptus »

It works in both actually.

In the original I used what I call the 'end of the world glitch' to over stock my team. Nothing like having Iolo, Shamino, & Dupree on your team when it comes time to actually fight the banes.

Before I posted her I tried a couple of things with Exult, and at the very least it works with the version i'm using 1.1.3
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

Heres are the actual facts!

In serpent isle you can only have 4 characters join the avatar, which makes it a party of 5.

But in order to get a party of 6 characters. You have to let one of your current party members die.

I recommend either Dupre, Iolo or Shamino. Who can be resurrected.

Not Boydon, once hit exploses, he's useless.
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

Five was the limit in the original in my experience, at least "legally". You could glitch around it and get six, and potentially more, but the game would crash if you opened certain gumps while party-oversized (the party control panel definitely).

Neutronium Dragon
Achile

Post by Achile »

Strangely, in the original, you can add Luther to your party (Maybe after the Holocaust, who know), because he have a paperdoll
Gradilla Dragon_

Post by Gradilla Dragon_ »

Luther has a paperdoll face? I don't remember him having one. I remember using cheats to force him to join and easily take Dupre's shield back, he didn't have a paperdoll face.

You are probably mixing up names.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

He is, indeed; it is Wilfred who joins after the holocaust.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

Who joins until he gets wounded, then storms off in a huff. It wouldn't be so bad if he had decent stats, but by that point in the game I remember 'em being pretty feeble.

Neutronium Dragon
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

By that point (and if you have SI), you can likely give him Loriel's Gift, the Gauntlets of Karas the Quick and Erinon's Axe to compensate for his wimpness :-)
------
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Incriptus

Post by Incriptus »

Actually that reminds me of one of my other favorite glitches

Don't try to get dupree's shield until after you've gotten the spell book . . . cast Vibrate on Luthor and he'll drop Dupree's sheild. Then go beat him on the list of fields and he'll give you your second Dupree's shield :-D
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

Wilfred isn't worth keeping, i like him as a trainer.

My favorited npc to get in the group 100% cheat free, is non other than Mortegro the death mage.

I did however, cheated in blackgate to get Horance in my party. Because he can summon skeletons like a TRUE necromancer.

I was sad that The ferryman was non other than a prop item lol
Ali J

Post by Ali J »

I remember playing original SI many years ago and I could have my original 4 party members and have another 3 automatons by using the spell to turn you into a snake (Serpent Bond?).

I'm not sure if it works anymore but the way it happened was that your party would stop following you and you could talk to automatons to get them to join you, then when you de-snaked your party followed you again. However, pressing the L button promptly crashed the game.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Guys, you said that Luther didn't have a paperdoll face, but when I forced him to join my party in order to get Dupre's shield back quicker (yeah, I'm a complusive cheater too!) he did indeed have one!

Then again, I'm playing SI with Exult, I guess that might have something to do with it.
Kensu

Post by Kensu »

Wait a second, you can't get Gwenno to join the party while Dupre is still alive. Did you cheat to do that?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

If you don't use SIFixes, you can kill Dupre when you are far away from the crematorium (say, right at the Serpent Gate) and leave the body where you are. Thoxa will then resurrect a clone of Dupre so he will sacrifice himself; you will then be able to resurrect the real Dupre with the hourglass. And you can then ask Gwenno to join and have both on the party.
------
Incriptus

Post by Incriptus »

Oh, I never tried that one. I used the Miracle ressurection room right in front of the wall of lights where batlin is. Since you can't continue the game at that point if you don't have your three main compainions Thoxa will appear and bring them back and force them into your party. The beauty is that you can do this at any point in the game (under the right curcumstances, the game can be picky at times). So . . . for instance, you walk into the wall of lights, your party turns into the banes, you walk back into the room immedietly before it, use the hourglass and you'll have three "clones" of your party members.

Good times :-)