Serpent Isle questions

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Andrew Glide

Serpent Isle questions

Post by Andrew Glide »

Does SI have something like the House of Games of Balck Gate? Or any form of mini-games? Can you bake bread, forge weapons, make clothes, fire cannons and all the other interactions of the previous chapter? Is the world a dynamic one, where you can affect cities, environment, NPCs etc.? Do NPCs remember you for what you did in the past, do they react according to your behaviour, do tey react to global happenings? Can you solve quests in more than one way? Are there mutilple endings? Are NPCs' schedules more advanced? Can you drive a boat? Can you own a house? Are there branching dialogues? Are there tons of sidequests, secrets, easter eggs, hacks etc.? Is SI more linear or more open-ended than Black Gate? Does it have a bigger gameworld? Can you do more things than what you could in Black Gate? IS the story more interesting? Are there more NPCs? Are there more advanced possible interactions?

Ok, now it's over. Thank you. :)
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Serpent Isle questions

Post by Dominus »

Mostly no.
Are there tons of sidequests, secrets, easter eggs, hacks etc.? Is SI more linear or more open-ended than Black Gate? Does it have a bigger gameworld? Can you do more things than what you could in Black Gate? IS the story more interesting? Are there more NPCs? Are there more advanced possible interactions?
Many sisecrets, easter eggs. Very linear, because Spector was more interested in telling a story. Same world size, less ocean though.
Wether the story is more interesting is for you to decide, that is a question that cannot be answered. Some like SI more, some like BG more. Probably the same amount of NPCs. And definitely some more advanced interactions between the Avatar and certain NPCs.

You really shouldn't ask too many questions but just play the games and see for yourself.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Samatar

Post by Samatar »

Personally I thought the story in SI was much more engaging, possibly due to the fact that it was more linear than black gate. I am probably biased though because I played SI foor many years before trying black gate. Personally I think finishing BG first and then doing SI would be more enjoyable as you will understand many elements of SI better that way.
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

> Do NPCs remember you for what you did in the past, do they react
> according to your behaviour, do tey react to global happenings?

They're about as reactive to your actions as they were in BG. They're more likely to react to world events simply because the development of the various plots tends to impact them more, so their actions/activities/dialogue are updated to reflect this.

> Are NPCs' schedules more advanced?

SI's NPCs definitely have more varied schedules, especially in that they're dynamic (whereas BG NPCs pretty much followed the same schedule throughout the entire game).

> Are there mutilple endings?

There's only one ending.

Neutronium Dragon
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

can someone explain what is means that their schedule is "dynamic"? I really don't get it.

Artaxerxes
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I think Neutronium means that their schedules seem to vary more. But I'm not sure if this is actually the case. Most NPCs stay where they were before and do the same stuff, even after half the population is killed. It might seem that they changed because there are a bit different conversation options after certain events.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Neutronium Dragon

I don't recall NPCs in BG ever really altering their schedules, but in SI some of them did (or at least certainly seemed to) based on plot events, such as the ones involved in the trip to Moonshade.

Neutronium Dragon
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

BG didn't support altering NPC schedules. SI on the other hand did, and it was used quite a bit.

Exult has 'back ported' the support for altering schedules into BG.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

can we get an example of "altering NPC schedules"? I'm still in the dark here...

thx
Artaxerxes
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

look at what people in the cities do after the banes had their fun, I guess.
--
Read the Rules!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I think it also happens near the start of the game, where many of the NPC's will hang around the catacombs until you talk to the mayor.
Neutronium Dragon

Presumably the people sent to prison have their schedules changed (or at least suspended). Yelinda ends up off in the marsh bemoaning her fate. Torissio seems to start hanging around in the palace once Moonshade is hit by the banes. That monk hiding in the Sleeping Bull also goes back to Monk Isle (and presumably changes to an appropriate schedule) after the trip to the mint...

Neutronium Dragon
TdI

Post by TdI »

...the Magelord disappearing and reappearing, Frigadizzi disappearing and reappearing, the people who travel to Moonshade with you on Hawks ship, Mortegro close to the end of the game, the priestess of beauty after the trial... theres lots of examples of schedules changing.