1.2, 1.4, 1.5

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
dag

1.2, 1.4, 1.5

Post by dag »

I know that this has already been mentioned before, but I still think that it is an important issue:

Many people tend to think that there is a stable release (let's call it, uhh, "1.2") that supports all sexy features and is stable as a rock.

And they tend to think that 1.4 is kind of an experimental branch, and as such, not "really supported".

All of us studying this forum frequently may have an idea of the way all this is going on. But there are *lots* of people out there who are just looking for a "stable" and/or a "experimental" release.

As I experienced so far, the 1.4-branch is much more stable and reliable and non-plot-stopping than the 1.2 ever was, so maybe we should do a feature freeze in 1.4? And make a new branch, call it "1.5"?

Maybe I am completely wrong, so I'm asking: What do you think about this? An please correct me if I am wrong!
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: 1.2, 1.4, 1.5

Post by Dominus »

I repeat myself but we need volunteers who will play through both games (and preferably people who play with and without Marzo's mods).
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
dag

Post by dag »

Ok, that sounds reasonable. So it all lacks of volunteers?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

It also lacks willpower and time of the devs but playing through the games would help greatly to find bugs...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Hugstari

Post by Hugstari »

I am about to (soon) start a play through using the latest build. I'll post any bugs i encounter.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yes, please do so, that will help.
--
Read the Rules!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I'm thinking about playing through BG with Marzo's mod. I recently built the latest Exult on my little netbook.
GeoF

Post by GeoF »

I haven't played BG for a few years and SI for a few more than that. Hopefully I'll be able to play them both in the next couple of months. I'll be running Exult on XP. If the developers would prefer me to use - or not use - any particular mods, then please let me know.
Luke

Post by Luke »

i will play latest bg.

i will use inno extracter 'cause a game like exult should not need windows admin rights to install. ;)
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Well looks like Ill have to go build up the latest Mac version and run through em again..

To be honest I havent had any trouble with 1.4 aside from building it on a Mac hehe.. I know Ive played through the entire BG and Forge of Virtue with absolutely no trouble.. Started SI but stopped my game about 2 years or so ago once my Mac couldnt really handle OS 10.5.. My last build has to be at least a year old so Ill go update it and try to finish SI finally (been trying to do that since 1993)!!
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

My version of 1.4 - a snapshot dating about two months back - runs through U7, SI, and TFL just fine - both with and without TFL enabled, well, excepting the obvious fact TFL doesnt work so fine without TFL enabled :)

This with two computers, a new (as in bought it a few months ago, five if Im not mistaken) computer with Vista, and an older Compaq labtop with XP. I can post full specs later if someone's interested, too lazy to look it up now.

Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca

Post by Guest »

Marzos mod, which one is that? Can't find it under downloads.

Post by Guest »

Nevermind, I found seventowers.org
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

Marzos mod could either mean sifixes or keyring but I imaginethey meant keyring.

Wizardry dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca