Exult Studio won't run on Ubuntu

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Der_Wanderer

Exult Studio won't run on Ubuntu

Post by Der_Wanderer »

Hello fellas,

Impressive project! I just discovered it. Amazing stuff.

I'm fairly new to development on Linux. I was able to build 1.4.9rc1 of exult with not too much effort and it runs wonderfully.

I also successfully build exult_studio, but it doesn't run (in the mapedit folder). I've tried following the directions from the various docs (run while exult is running, make sure glade file is in path). The curious thing is that when I run through the command line, I get this message:

The program 'exult_studio' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install exult-studio

The file is there; not sure what I'm missing. Can anyone provide me some pointers?

Of course, I can install exult and exult studio through apt-get but it's a much older version. And, I wanna build it. :-D

Thank you!
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Exult Studio won't run on Ubuntu

Post by Dominus »

Where is the source, what did you type in the terminal to install it, what do you type to run it?
Also better get the svn.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

(Er, had to create a new account...I know I typed everything correctly, but I was rejected. No password recovery.)

Anyway, I simply unzipped the source, set the flags for the mods and exult_studio to "yes" and then typed "./config" followed by "make".

No build issues. exult_studio simply doesn't run. And the file isn't recognized, which is the most bizarre. Of course, exult itself runs fine.

I will try getting the latest source from SVN, thanks for the suggestion!

Theron
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Trouble with the repo?

>$ svn checkout http://exult.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... xult/trunk
svn: Repository moved temporarily to '/viewvc/exult/exult/trunk/'; please relocate
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Which flags did you set where? You enable/disable things in configure.
Also Exult doesn't expect to be run from inside the source tree, or better said you need to 'make install' since Exult doesn't find studio in the mapedit subfolder.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

For getting the current SVN either download the source snapshot from our download page or follow the instructions at http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=2335
You are trying to checkout the online view of the code
--
Read the Rules!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

That did it, thanks! The INSTALL file in the SVN trunk was more up-to-date in its instructions than the 1.4.9 RC (it mentioned running make install). Everything is now building and running fine. Now, I'll spend some time trying to figure out how it all fits together.

In case these readme/documentation suggestions aren't there, I'd suggest this:

* It was hard to find the link to the SVN repo. Somehow, I ended up with that web view version. I suggest making the link more prominent.

Thanks again.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Hmm, I see what you mean. I'll need to put that link on our download page in way that users that can only handle binary downloads are not getting confused ;)
Thanks for pointing it out.
--
Read the Rules!