make objects impassable

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Scythifuge

make objects impassable

Post by Scythifuge »

Greetings!

Maybe I am missing something in the object attribute menu. I am creating graves for Agentorangeguy's Ultima VI project. These graves can be resized for smaller holes & whatnot.

The grave consists of a dirt "carpet" for the floor of the grave/hole. I have created the four sides & the four corner pieces. I also have a dirt "lid" and a wrapped body to place inside the grave. The illusion looks great, as though there is a hole in the otherwise flat ground.

However, I cannot make the grave impassable unless I use a Z value of 2. Using a value of 2, the west & north sides of the grave cut off the lower halves of npc's since the game treats the grave as a wall. I tried using a value of 0 & 1 & checking the water attribute (since that seems to prevent characters from crossing/swimming) but I can walk right over the grave. Plus, I am trying to create this so that when the body is in the grave, the dirt lid can be placed on top, completely covering the body & grave pieces & be able to walk over top of the lid.

I know that I could make a grass border that will blend in with the existing grass tiles & act as a step to the top of the grave pieces but I am trying to avoid using up to much real estate.

Any help, aid or tips will be greatly appreciated!
m-johnston

Re: make objects impassable

Post by m-johnston »

This may be to may be to obvious but throwing it out there because it could be easily forgotten about... check to make sure the Avatar's shape in the NPC section does not have the "swim" or "ethereal" flags checked. I frequently keep one of those flags checked while map editing and would probably not think of it when working on something like you are.
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

Neither swim or ethereal are checked.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Mark it as solid and set width/depth/height appropriately.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

The problem is the height. I am trying to create the illusion that the objects are not walls. The edges blend in with the grass so when the player walks to the west or north edges at a height value of 2, the legs & waist "disappear."
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly, but I think the 'water' check is only done on the base flat 8x8 tiles, not on anything placed on top of that. So you could try putting water tiles under your object.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Just to confirm, wjp's memory is correct -- only flat tiles are checked for being water. Another possibility is to create an invisible barrier object that is used together with the other. For world-building you use a non-invisible shape (so you can see and move it), for the final mod you replace with a blank shape. You ten set it as solid, give it the correct dimensions and check 'transparent' flag so it doesn't register mouse clicks.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

Thanks! It will probably be easier to use a grass step border around the grave pieces. It will allow npc feet to be right up to the edge.