changing the title screen

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Zacros

Re: changing the title screen

Post by Zacros »

Hey guys, apologies for leaving you all in the lurch like that! I've been extremely unwell this last year and am only now getting back to normal.

I've just loaded up GIMP and a few other tools to try getting the title screen done for you this weekend. No promises as I might run up against some technical issues but I've certainly not given up!

Cheers
Zacros

Post by Zacros »

OK agentorangeguy, I've sent you an email with a test title screen attached.
I'll try to make some time in the coming weeks to pretty it up a bit - currently all that has been changed is the background and the cursor.
Pegbyter

Post by Pegbyter »

Agentorangeguy, If you're up for an Exult Remake of Ultima V, then let me know. I'll work with you on it...

(Not all of us made it through the Dungeon siege version and the Exult engine is far easier to navigate)

Seeing as it's my favorite in the series I have several ideas in mind about making it work.

PM me if you're interested.
SirJohn

Post by SirJohn »

Hi all,

please excuse me capturing this thread, but subject and content is just too suiting for my problems as well.

I also want to modify the title screen and have used ipack to extract the shapes from mainshp.flx more or less successfully. The shapoes are there after running the command, but error messages occur. This may well be due to running the command in Windows 7. I don't know.

As palette I polinted to the palette.flx file in STATIC directory. And this seems to be the wrong palette because all colours from the shapes are distorted, with the Ultima VII Logo showing up in sort of an orange colour.

In the thread I saw that TFL used "intropal.pal" as palette file for mainshp.flx, but I seem to be unable to find it. I only have intropal.dat in STATIC, but that does not do the trick.

Do I have to unpack intropal.dat, too, somehow, or is it anywhere up for grabs? Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Any help and thoughts are highly appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance,

John
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

At the risk of some EXTREME thread necromancy,
Since this seems to have come up a fair bit -

I created the intro screen for TFL in Photoshop. I indexed the colours according to those in the intro palette and then saved it using Indexed Colour, and converted it to a shape using one of the many tools. This is a lot fussier and more time-consuming in the initial setup than using GIMP, and you also have to export the image and then convert it, but I found this allowed me to make much nicer looking stuff.

I'd actually happily share the PS source files that were relevant, but they aren't in the source tree (I don't *think*) and the laptop they were on died some time ago.

(And for the inevitable question about what "happened" with TFL - nothing, really, I've slowly worked on it in between the day job, hour at a time here and there, but I kind of fell off the face of the internet other than said day job. I rarely have time for anything these days. I prefer to spend what little time I do have playing about with worldbuilding. I won't make any promises about anything coming from TFL, as its been forever now since I started it and its still not near done, but it IS still being worked on in my limited spare time.)

~ Peter M Dodge
Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Little tfl news are better than no tfl news ;)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!