New patch - Ultima 6 conversion

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Jets Connor

Re: New patch - Ultima 6 conversion

Post by Jets Connor »

Nevermind, I got it. Good work, Mike!

Also, I agree with your readme note regarding adding more music. Ultima 6's music had a completely different atmosphere to that of ultima 7, which I think was really rather core to the feel of the game. (It never felt quite the same.)

What would you think of redoing the u6 tunes, or perhaps putting in new ones with the same feel to them?
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

Are you talking about, like a remix of the original midis?
Jets Connor

Post by Jets Connor »

No. I think that a remix would probably be worse, because then you lose Ultimosity. I think I mean more remastering them with composition software. Possibly making them longer, too, in some cases.
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

Stronger instrumental, Digitaly remastered. I agree!
Uncle Rico: Napoleon, you know we can't afford the fun pack. What, do you think money grows on trees in this family? Take it back! And get some Pampers for you and your brother while you're at it.
Jets Connor

Post by Jets Connor »

Ahoihoi!
Withstand the Fury Dragon

Post by Withstand the Fury Dragon »

Whoa!

Sorry I've been lax in keeping on top of things, but this looks pretty awesome!

mikefictiti0us, please send me an email. I'd like to put an entry for this on Aiera!

Cheers
:) WtFD
Jets Connor

Post by Jets Connor »

Incidentally, does anyone know what it would take to make the U7 engine to, for example, make areas outside the building you are in dark? After playing U6 (Before U7 came out) it felt so very wrong that I could see what was going on outside when I wasn't even near a window.
mikefictiti0us

Post by mikefictiti0us »

Hey, sorry for not updating the patch. A friend of mine passed away in August and work has been hell, so I've had little time to work on this.
Things are getting better now, so I have more time to work on the conversion. Britain is almost finished, and I have to add a few more NPC's, so I'll probably post an updated patch in a week or two.
mikefictiti0us

Post by mikefictiti0us »

Jets Conner, I'm using a sampling program and a high quality soundfont to remake the 11 tracks in U6. Pretty simple process, all I have to do is import midi files and change them into soundfont layers (with tweaks to reverb, EQ, etc...).
I'm not going to remix and change the actual composition of them though. At the most, I might add some of the better songs from the other Ultima games in locations that did not have music eggs in the original Ultima 6.
cyberfugue

Post by cyberfugue »

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, Mike.
amano

Post by amano »

great that development goes on...

Just do not drop this project.
Dangus

Post by Dangus »

Is there any hope this will end up as an officially-supported Exult game with stand-alone capability, rather than existing over top of Black Gate?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

it would need all new graphics for that.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
linderboy

Post by linderboy »

I can't get this to work. I have extracted the rar, overwrote the ogg files, I think I just don't have the config file setup right, Can you explain exactly where/what to edit in the config file. I don't see a entry as described in the readme.

I do get the U6 music at the BG startup screen.

Thanks.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

if you don't see the patch section then add it :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
linderboy

Post by linderboy »

I did that, but I get a runtime error when I start a new game.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

It doesn't seem to work in daily builds at the moment, or at least not with the one I tried in November. Hm...
linderboy

Post by linderboy »

Turns out my runtime error had nothing to do with the config, even when I changed it back to the original I still got the error. Seemed to just be from installing this patch. I had uninstall/reinstall exult to get the original to work. Still can't get U6 conversion working. :(
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

For the record, I just tested the patch and it works fine. For the record, my cfg file also does not have a 'patch' entry; this means that Exult will default to a 'patch' folder inside the game's directory (in my case, "Blackgate\patch"). Just unrar the contents to the patch dir (create it if you don't have one) and it should work fine.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

there is one potential problem depending on your version of BG. I guess the patch was made with the UC version (BG+FoV). If you have only the floppy version of BG the patch will most likely not work.
--
Read the Rules!
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

Can you post more screenshots? I wanna see the progress!
mikefictiti0us

Post by mikefictiti0us »

Ok, so I've finished Britain. I should have done more after this amount of time, but I have not really been working on this constantly as I've been very busy, so I've only been able to squeeze in an hour or two a week of Exult Studio.
Almost ready to post the work thus far, but I just need to fix some of the problems I'm having with the usecode.

Also, what Dominus said was correct -- my patch probably won't work unless you have the FoV addon. I guess, in hindsight, I should have only installed BG without FoV and started this patch with a clean new map, but it's too late for that now.
Dangus

Post by Dangus »

I'm sure if you want, you can probably recruit some skilled content developers off of this to help you. Doing all of Britannia by yourself is going to take a long time...... I'd help if I weren't already tied up with other projects at the moment :(
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

This is fantastic! You're a genius! :D

You people definately are inspiration to us all. I got Exult Studio last summer but I was too lazy to do much with it. I made a new year resolution to finally get off my lazy ass and actually DO something! I intend to write a novel and make some kind of game with SCI studio. I think I'll add making some kind of mod for Ultima 7 or even a mini-game in itself!

All I need is the same sense of getting things done as you already do! :)
Enderandrew

Post by Enderandrew »

Couldn't you recruit other people to do other areas of the map?
Beldavid

Post by Beldavid »

Have you set up a web site yet?
exolon

Post by exolon »

Has there been any progress on this? I never really got into Ultima 6 very much because I played Ultima 7 and 8 first and couldn't get used to the poxy graphics and steppy time-movement, and the story sounds nice, so it'd be fun to try it out with the nicer Ultima 7 engine I came to know and love.

The only worry I'd have is that the isometric angle could obscure some objects behind walls and such... this happened a few times with Ultima 7, and caused a bit of stress if any of your party members wimpied during combat, leaving you wondering if they dropped anything important behind a wall.
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

Mike, if you need webspace I can fix you up. This mod looks very promising.

---------
Peter M Dodge aka Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer
Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
storfy

Post by storfy »

rite so is this finn'd or wot?
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

How about using the graphics for the black gate for the monolith in the museum? That always felt to me like it was supposed to be a 2001 reference.
Shigzeo

Post by Shigzeo »

Hey, I'm from Vaughan Woodbridge, but work near Pearson Airport and love Ultima!haha
storfy

Post by storfy »

O RLY?
Wizardry Dragon

Guys, stop spamming this thread.

---------
Lead Designer
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
storfy

Post by storfy »

whens this out.
someone beta answer mine kves-chon.
storfy

Post by storfy »

[echo]hello[/echo]
is anybody IN there?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

storfy, does this silence not answer your question?
It reallyhelps when you use proper words when asking questions and not spamming afterwards.
--
Read the Rules!
storfy

Post by storfy »

Edit [by Dominus]:

Storfy - don't troll here.

(original message deleted)
storfy

Post by storfy »

wtf!!
i didnt say that!?!
Wizardry Dragon

He really doesn't get the point, does he?

Storfy- you're trolling and spamming things that have nothing that has to with this mod. Cease and desist.

---------
Lead Designer
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
storfy

Post by storfy »

CEASE AND DESIST!!
THIS IS THE COPS!!!
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Storfy, can I kindly request that you tone down the meaningless posts? I know you probably enjoy it, but it's really a waste of time. Go download something and play with it, you'll probably enjoy it more.

Also, I'd like to ask if there is anything to report on this mod? As you know, I'm really interested in it (as are many other people) and I'd really appreciate it if some updates were given. Thank you.
DarkAvatar

Post by DarkAvatar »

yeah storfy the spamming is getting old.... if your not here to talk about the topic posted then don't...
---------------------Dark Avatar
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Freezing this thread because of its length and because it's a favourite target of spammers. Please open a new thread if you want to continue discussion on this topic.