OT: Ultima 8 causes much sorrow

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
GuJiaXian

Re: OT: Ultima 8 causes much sorrow

Post by GuJiaXian »

Cool, thanks. The Pentagram team might want to fix/update the link on their download page, as it's currently broken. Also, is there anywhere I can get a general consensus on the overall stability and "playability" of the program?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

I tried a year or so ago and it was stable as in not crashing or locking up but quite often the Avatar stopped being able to move in game requiring you to reload the save game. There were serious game breaking bugs like taking a ton of tries just to get through the beheading. I'm not sure if it's much better now. Just try it and you should know pretty fast if some of these issues were fixed.
alagner

Post by alagner »

I played it quite recently [ca. month ago] and was able to complete the game rather painlessly, except maybe for seldom, mentioned above "locking" of Avatar in the ground [but seldom enough to call it minor bug if you save often] and broken cutscenes - eg. during the fight between Devon and Mordea I saw only water below the docks and words the characters were saying. Same with Zaelan shield before Khumas-Gor, where I couldn't see statues speak, only their statements and cave's roof were visible.
A.M.Miera
vel. Alagner Dragon
Watt

Post by Watt »

Pentagram changelog link fixed - sorry about that - forgot the link existed.
I'm considering writing news post soon about changes to the build process for Mac (which is what I've been mucking about with recently).

Not sure about other site updates yet.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Please file bug reports on Pentagram's bug tracker if you run into any bugs. Even though we're hopelessly slow with website updates, we are still fixing bugs fairly quickly after they are reported.

Regarding getting stuck: did you accidentally hit 's'? That freezes/unfreezes the avatar.

Regarding roofs getting in the way of cutscenes: I may have broken that two months ago when fixing a similar issue in the cutscene that happens when Mordea catches you stealing things. I've filed this as bug #2104283 at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=471706
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Regarding getting stuck: did you accidentally hit 's'? That freezes/unfreezes the avatar.
I think it would be better to change the default "freeze Avatar" key to something harder to hit by mistake (like requiring an additional key). That could have been my problem a long time ago. A feedback message would be nice if it doesn't exist like "Activating Avatar freeze cheat".
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Yes, that's not a bad idea. I've moved it to F10.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

It wasn't the stasis mode causing the problem. The Avatar failing to move is still present (just downloaded the game). Pressing that key will not unfreeze him when this bug triggers. It seems like a pathfinding error with the Avatar based on the output. I can trigger it by just running around. I posted output on bug tracker.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Saving the game and reloading seems to be a workaround to the bug.
alagner

Post by alagner »

Not necessarily, tried that earlier and it didn't work for me at all, but I can check it again when I have time [ =I'm done with U5Lazarus and finish my holiday job, so in a couple of days I suppose ]
A.M.Miera
vel. Alagner Dragon
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

If saving and reloading doesn't 'unstick' you, could you please send me a savegame in which you're stuck?
Phebe

Post by Phebe »

Super Mario stuff...I did it before getting the patch add ons! I made it anyway. :(
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

I miss Minho and his Oink! thread bumps.

I never liked U8 because it didn't have a party system and the font used was just sad. Are there any things you all liked about it?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Please... necroposting in threads that have not been posted to in 9 years is bad. Necroposting in that old *OT* threads is worse...

*Thread closed*
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!