Linux Midi

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Dirty Hairy

Linux Midi

Post by Dirty Hairy »

Might be I'm asking stupid stuff (I'm quite new to Linux), but is there any way of telling exult to use the /dev/seq sequencer for midi output (and NOT the ALSA-system)? I own a Terratec EWS64 whose chipset is not supportesd by ALSA, and finally managed it to work, but it just supports OSS...
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Linux Midi

Post by Dominus »

No idea as I'm not a Linux guy. But why not check out the 1.1 source that gives you the choice to play digital music instead of midi?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Dirty Hairy

Post by Dirty Hairy »

Already thought of this ;-). But that'll have to wait until I have enough time and patience (after all, the oggs are quite a download if you don't have a broadband connection...)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

too true! atm I'm bound to a slow modem connection as well. I'm just glad I got them when I still had broadband (damn this moving together with my gf - cost me a couple of years of my life AND my broadband...)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Dirty Hairy

Post by Dirty Hairy »

Hehe, we gonna get a DSL connection in our flat soon... Gonna get them then... :-)
Dirty Hairy

Post by Dirty Hairy »

Hmm, just tried to compile the 1.1-branch, and ./configure stops... As I said, I'm relatively new to linux; perhaps someone can understand better than I what's going wrong...

autogen.sh output:

aclocal: configure.in: 288: macro `AM_PATH_SDL' not found in library
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
automake: configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
automake: configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
automake: configure.in: installing `./missing'
You are now ready to run ./configure

./configure output:

creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i586-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i586-pc-linux-gnu
./configure: line 658: syntax error near unexpected token `$PACKAGE,$VERSION,no-define'
./configure: line 658: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,$VERSION,no-define)'

I'm using the free Mandrake 9.0 distribution...
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

> aclocal: configure.in: 288: macro `AM_PATH_SDL' not found in library

that's the real error, most likely. Do you have an sdl.m4 file installed anywhere?
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

Do you have the dev packages for SDL installed ?
Dirty Hairy

Post by Dirty Hairy »

Yupp, didn't have them istalled; I installed them and tried again... Then it complained about SDL-mixer missing, so I installed it. Now it compiles (though gcc randomly crashes with a "segmentation fault" - I've already ancountered that issue before, e.g. when compiling SDL-mixer, I wonder what the problem is; running make again makes gcc resume its work, though), but it stops after some time in Timidity_binary.cc...
Console output:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I./../../headers -I./../../conf -I./../.. -I./.. -I./../../files -I./../../imagewin -I./../../shapes -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -DXWIN -O2 -Wno-long-long -I../../conf -I../../files -g -O2 -c Timidity_binary.cc
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I./../../headers -I./../../conf -I./../.. -I./.. -I./../../files -I./../../imagewin -I./../../shapes -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -DXWIN -O2 -Wno-long-long -I../../conf -I../../files -g -O2 -Wp,-MD,.deps/Timidity_binary.pp -c Timidity_binary.cc -o Timidity_binary.o
In file included from Timidity_binary.h:23,
from Timidity_binary.cc:40:
../Midi.h:28:23: SDL_mixer.h: No such file or directory
Timidity_binary.cc:42: syntax error before `*' token
Timidity_binary.cc: In constructor `Timidity_binary::Timidity_binary()':
Timidity_binary.cc:51: `Mix_HookMusicFinished' undeclared (first use this function)
Timidity_binary.cc:51: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
Timidity_binary.cc: In member function `virtual void Timidity_binary::stop_track()':
Timidity_binary.cc:63: `Mix_HaltMusic' undeclared (first use this function)
Timidity_binary.cc:64: `mixermusic' undeclared (first use this function)
Timidity_binary.cc:66: `Mix_FreeMusic' undeclared (first use this function)
Timidity_binary.cc: In member function `virtual bool Timidity_binary::is_playing()':
Timidity_binary.cc:82: `Mix_PlayingMusic' undeclared (first use this function)
Timidity_binary.cc: In member function `virtual void Timidity_binary::start_track(XMIDIEventList*, bool)':
Timidity_binary.cc:95: `Mix_LoadMUS' undeclared (first use this function)
Timidity_binary.cc:96: `Mix_PlayMusic' undeclared (first use this function)
Timidity_binary.cc:97: `MIX_MAX_VOLUME' undeclared (first use this function)
Timidity_binary.cc:97: `Mix_VolumeMusic' undeclared (first use this function)
make[3]: *** [Timidity_binary.lo] Fehler 1
make[3]: Verlassen des Verzeichnisses Verzeichnis »/home/pestix/Downloads/Exult/exult/audio/midi_drivers«
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[2]: Verlassen des Verzeichnisses Verzeichnis »/home/pestix/Downloads/Exult/exult/audio«
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[1]: Verlassen des Verzeichnisses Verzeichnis »/home/pestix/Downloads/Exult/exult«
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Fehler 2
Dirty Hairy

Post by Dirty Hairy »

OK, works now; I compiled it withou timidity... I wonder what causes the gcc/g++ crash, though....
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

GCC crashes randomly ?
You may want to go here
Dirty Hairy

Post by Dirty Hairy »

Hmmm, thanks Nadir. I feared as much; there are also other indicators for a memory corruption problem. Time to investigate... At least, I'll have something to do for term break...
Dirty Hairy

Post by Dirty Hairy »

OK, found the problem: the processor was clocked to fast (was 550, runs fine with 500); strange it even says 550 on the top...
Well, anyway, last question: how do I set up the ogg music (didn't find anything in the manual)...?
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

The ogg music comes with a README file.
Dirty Hairy

Post by Dirty Hairy »

Whoops, okay, thank you... ;-)