Origin FX Screensaver featuring Ultima VII

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Dominus
Site Admin

Origin FX Screensaver featuring Ultima VII

Post by Dominus »

Recently I bought the Origin FX screensaver for Windows 3.x on eBay. Mostly to look at the Ultima 7 modules that come with it and see the Serpent Isle module. I loaded this in my Windows 3.x running on Dosbox and captured the output (Dosbox feature since 0.65), threw all the little videos together and made 5minutes video and uploaded it to YouTube.
When there is no music there was no music in the screensaver. The screensaver itself was configurable to use the Roland MT-32 device and that sounds the best, unfortunately you can't capture that with Dosbox (you can capture it with normal music capturing tools but then you have more work) so you have to make do with crappy sound :)
The sceneries with plants growing didn't change like that, I only captured them seperately and then cut them together.

The file is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hy5ikkfais
Unfortunately YouTube made it quite blury so the little subtitles on the Serpent Isle movies can't be read :( (btw, in the module you could select whether you want subtitles and see the final cut scene)
If someone really wants I can upload the better version to one of the file share sites lie rapidshare or so.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Rav_Dragon

Re: Origin FX Screensaver featuring Ultima VII

Post by Rav_Dragon »

Could you do that? I would love to see the clear version...

Thanks for doing this, brings back memories. =)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
trevor_clim_3

Post by trevor_clim_3 »

cool! :D

i especially like the monster coming at the end (4:30) !!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Hey, that's amazing! I had no idea Windows 3.x could look so good.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

That was with the Norton Desktop for Windows 3.0. With another shell replacement, Calidera (or so) you can even make it look much more similar to Windows 9x.
"My" Windows got ressurected from a backup that almost instantly worked with Dosbox.
--
Read the Rules!
resin

Post by resin »

Hey, I was just trying to get this set up. When I ran setup it installed the files in the originfx folder but i dont see any shortcut or option for it unders the screensaver list. I'm running the setup installer through win3.1 in dosbox. Can you tell me exactly how you set it up, did you add anything special to the conf? I'm not sure if there's more than one version of this screensaver, but the one I'm trying to install is the one from the Ultima Collection..
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I think it was pretty straight forward. I'll check in a week or so.
--
Read the Rules!
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

You have to double click the OFX icon that is in the group that is created during the install. The "FX" should spin around. Minimize everything. You should see the icon in the lower left corner. Clicking that icon will take you into the Origin FX options. You have to run the program or have it in your startup group; it isn't under the normal screensaver options.
resin

Post by resin »

When I install it doesn't create any group or icons, it only installs the files in the originfx folder.. Can you see what file that icon is pointing to? None of these files seem to be executable..
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

There should be an originfx.exe or ofx.exe. Unless what you get with the Ultima Collection is just the Serpent Isle module & not the actual screensaver.. I will have to dig out my Ultima Collection disc & take a look.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

You ever only got the module. The actual Origin FX screensaver didn't come with Serpent Isle. You need to own the Origin FX screensaver to install the SI module.
When I return home next week I can take a look...
--
Read the Rules!
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

I thought so, it just took me a moment.
resin

Post by resin »

All is good now. I got the screensaver and all modules set up. Thanks :)
Jaesun

Post by Jaesun »

DOSBox can record MIDI just fine. Or was it something else?

CTRL-ALT-F8 Start/Stop the recording of raw MIDI commands
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yes, but that would still mean extra work. Configured to use SB the music records straight to the video.
--
Read the Rules!