bug in 1.1.0cvs

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Jared

bug in 1.1.0cvs

Post by Jared »

Once set to OpenGL for video, cannot change, and, in fullscreen, will exit to desktop w/o error msgs.

Geforce2MX w/64 megs ram (I think)
Windows xp
SBLive!
Jared

Re: bug in 1.1.0cvs

Post by Jared »

in fact, cannot switch video modes at all without crashing in fullscreen. Whazzup?
Jared

Post by Jared »

And 2 more criticisms: guardian lip synch in intro is off, and the animations are whizz-bang gone, can't even see fist hitting monitor, and the zoom-into-the-moongate is missing.

Lest these sound like nitpicking, I do love that the game is playable! With better music than I was able to listen to the first time around!
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

OpenGL is buggy and not supported in any way
Animations: nobody has bothered implementing those yet
Jared

Post by Jared »

None of the video modes are working except whatever it's using, which is not what the setup shows, and when changed to anything else, crashes to desktop. All this has been happening since I switched it to opengl, and even manually editing the cfg doesn't fix it. All I can do is be windowed or fullscreen.

Thanks for the help!
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Try the in-game selection instead (escape, video options). The one in the setup in the main menu is known to be buggy.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

The 'opengl' setting is just a single line in 'exult.cfg', so you should be able to set it back by hand-editing. Make sure you're using the correct 'exult.cfg' (which would be the one in your home directory if you're on Linux).

As Nadir said, the OpenGL code is buggy, and is only partly implemented. My experience is that it gives great performance (assuming you have hardware acceleration), but it's hard to get it to look right. Plus, it can crash a machine really badly. If we ever get it to work reliably, I think it would be fun to use it for features like more realistic lighting.
Jared

Post by Jared »

aye aye, cap'n. :)

Didn't work. Screen flashes black for one screen, and then *poof* nothing happens.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Oh, believe me, I tried editing the cfg many times before posting. Solved it, though. Guess what the problem was?

Scaling = 1... apparently, you need scaling = 2. Why is that even an option?
Jared

Post by Jared »

in fact, setting the mode to opengl automagically sets the scaling to 1. guess that's how that happened.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Hmm.... You mean exult doesn't work for you in non-opengl mode when the scaling is set to 1?
Jared

Post by Jared »

At scaling = 1, the video modes all look the same, and changing from one mode to another either in-game or at the menu produces an inevitable crash to desktop. And, changing from any other mode to opengl changes scaling to 1, thus the fun begins.
Kirben
Site Admin

Post by Kirben »

There is no OpenGL support in the Windows 1.1.0cvs snapshots, so the OpenGL option has no function. The OpenGL option showing up in non-OpenGL builds is just a bug.