Create gold spell

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Ricewind

Create gold spell

Post by Ricewind »

The create gold spell changes a chunk of lead into a gold nugget.
But, according to the Fellowship Book (Games Manual) it should change it into TEN gold nuggets.
(I'm using

So my question: Is this a bug in Exult or is this the way it used to be in Ultima7?
drcode
Site Admin

Re: Create gold spell

Post by drcode »

Looks like a bug in Exult.
Trevor_Clim (damn Log in)

Post by Trevor_Clim (damn Log in) »

ehm, from the economical perspective: the spell is useless at it is now, because the reagents are much more expensive than 10gold coins, which you get. so the spell is pretty unbalanced.
but the spell would also be unbalanced if you get more gold coins than the prize for the reagents, because then you have infinite money...

all in all, who cares for gold in Ultima 7? it's so easy to come by... everywhere treasures in the dungeons, the pirate's cave at the southern islands... the bank-thing in Britain, the loot of the dragons (gems) and so on... really easy
Warder

Post by Warder »

Unlimited money, but in the same way as with other things in U7 - you have to work for it. You can buy and sell mutton, and you can go mine lead, cast the spell, sell the gold. I don't see a difference, really. :)
Trevor_Clim (damn Log in)

Post by Trevor_Clim (damn Log in) »

yeah Warden, you are right, i didnt think of that...
i suggest making 5 gold nuggets out of one lead chunk, that would be fair i think. 10 gold nuggets would be too much
ultima7-team

Post by ultima7-team »

It is far more fun to actually go "find" your gold. Go visit the mine in minoc. Watch out for the poison rat (giant) and the headless, basically the heeadless are just trying to do the same thing as you.. rob the joint!

Visit Ultima7 at

WWW.ULTIMA7.COM

Post by DemonKnight »

Well, Serpent Isle is just as imbalanced then, because of the false coin spell. Casting the spell on filari/monetari/guilders/gold coins multiplies that by six. So casting false coin on 100 monetari will give u 700 monetari, with the 100 that u had before. That spell gives u unlimited cash, and looking for money is not a factor in the game.
dag

Post by dag »

> Well, Serpent Isle is just as imbalanced then, because of the false coin spell.
> Casting the spell on filari/monetari/guilders/gold coins multiplies that by six.
> So casting false coin on 100 monetari will give u 700 monetari, with the 100
> that u had before. That spell gives u unlimited cash, and looking for money is
> not a factor in the game.

that's right, and if you've got all spells, money is almost useless in si.
as in bg, after killing some dragons and finding some treasure, you'll have
more money than you' ever spend. so stealing is not only not virtous.
it's pointless.
Tristan de Inés

Post by Tristan de Inés »

This isn't an Exult bug. The original U7 also turned one chunk of lead into one gold nugget.

I remember pretty well... the disappointment... ;)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Okay, then it's a usecode bug. The code does a 'set_item_quantity' of 10 on the gold nugget, but that item is not in the 'has_quantity' class (like coins and reagants).
Trevor_Clim (damn login)

Post by Trevor_Clim (damn login) »

DrCode, what about fixing the thing to a value of 5 ? 5 gold nuggets out of one lead-nugget? i think 10 is too much, 50 gold coins should do a fine balance between the prize of reagents and some bonus gold. :)

guys, what do you think about that?
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

By the time you're actually able to cast this spell, creating free gold for yourself is no longer really a game breaking ability - you can pretty much afford anything you want anyway.

So I'd say make it the full 10, the way it was supposed to work.

Neutronium Dragon
Armchair Avatar

Post by Armchair Avatar »

There should be a "Create Reagents" spell. Or "Regain Mana".
:-)
cok

Post by cok »

"Create Reagents"? Hmm... Go play Serpent Isle's SilverSeed. And when you're done, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
DemonKnight

Post by DemonKnight »

>"Create Reagents"? Hmm... Go play Serpent Isle's SilverSeed. And when you're done, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Not everyone will find the ring of reagents that easily, it's really small, and not really noticable where u find it........
Kagehi Kossori

Post by Kagehi Kossori »

Yes. Especially true if you go looking for the ring before you have the helm of light and you are digging around in the place in the dark.