Coordinate system

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Dreded

Coordinate system

Post by Dreded »

Good day all,
anyone have any pointers in figuring out the coordinate system? Essentially I would like to figure out how to map(in the coding sense) the ultima7 world to a new engine, so if I was to draw a house in a 3D engine I would like that house to be 1:1(in some sense) to the coordinate system inside Black Gate so that eventually I would be able to import all the game objects(the code/actions obviously not the art) into a 3D world... wouldn't be huge benefits for the graphical objects of course but if the coordinate system was accurate then the NPC movement and egg placement wouldn't need to be done by hand.

I of course could do this by trial and error/math but was hoping that someone might be able to say "oh just view it using this map viewer and it will be obvious that each tile is just 8x8 and the zero point is the bottom left" sort of a thing.

This is good a place as any to say what my plan is I suppose...

I plan to rebuild Ultima 7 into Unreal Engine 4, making it an entirely 3d 3rd person game, easiest way to do this is to not re-invent the wheel and use exult to access the unicode and egg positions etc, I am not delusional and know I will not be able to do this alone in the long run but I thought as a starting point if I could get all of trinsic to work that would lay the ground work for others to take on other parts...

This will essentially be a modern Exult3D but instead of trying to keep the top down perspective I would like to make it 3rd person(more akin to the dungeon siege efforts for ultima VI), I might of course find out really quickly that this doesn't really work because the world is to sparse or something but I hope to try.

I also think a good way to wrap my head around the ins and outs of exult/ultima7 would be to contribute to the code base as best I can so even if my grander ambition is not realized I still helped the project to modernize a bit.

Also worth noting is that I of course would do the 3D stuff as a separate project from exult so that exult doesn't come under scrutiny from EA or whoever currently holds the rights to Ultima.. which is why I am saying exult would be the back end, as I feel calling it "Exult3D The Second" or something might turn into a problem down the road.
Dreded

Re: Coordinate system

Post by Dreded »

I have figured out the answer to the coordinate system, In decimal it runs from 0 to 3071 in both directions starting from the top left.