Slightly OT: EA shuts down Origin for good

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Dominus
Site Admin

Slightly OT: EA shuts down Origin for good

Post by Dominus »

--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
drcode
Site Admin

Re: Slightly OT: EA shuts down Origin for good

Post by drcode »

Sad, although they've been "Origin" in name only for a few years now. It's certainly too bad for the employees who have to either face unemployment or a move to Los Angeles.
The Ghost of Skutarth

Post by The Ghost of Skutarth »

Let them die. They are no longer the real Origin.
WishStone Dragon

Post by WishStone Dragon »

I would wish them to either find a new home together, away from EA, or to get together and build something new.

Sadly, you guys before me were right. That wasn`t Origin anymore. It was a handpuppet for EA. But if I look back on the (partly gross) changes UO alone went through.. *shakes her head* Nope. Not OSI.
*blows a ring of green smoke and curls up, purrrrring*
Dupre

Post by Dupre »

I wonder wheather Richard Garriot could 'legally' use the name Origin again, considering that it was originally his company that he started in the 80's.

As for the programmers, I feel bad for them as they are caught in the middle of this corporate nonsense. I wish them the best.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Not a chance. EA has owned the Trademark rights to the Origin name since they acquired the company oh so many years ago (1993?).
The Ghost of Skutarth

Post by The Ghost of Skutarth »

If it shuts down forever, and it becomes public domain, then if you want the SNES version of Savage empire, just ask me to mail it to you.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

expect a mail from me in about 50 years or so.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Sean Whalen

Post by Sean Whalen »

Thank God, I've been hoping this would happen on or off for years, now if they'd only shut down the Ultima name.
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

^^Not a chance, EA is too evil for that.
Sean Whalen

Post by Sean Whalen »

I read on Horizons Tavern now that Cynthe and Calandryll have left and it's rumored the UO Lead Designer Evocare might of already left for Blizzard to work on World of Warcraft, saw it on uo.stratics.com. Burn baby burn!!! I feel bad about the people who lost jobs though, but I really do want Ultima to die out completely.
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

I want it to die out to, unless Richard Garriott get the rights to it again.. Which is a very low chance :(
The Big Joke

Post by The Big Joke »

Aye, its indeed a sad thing to see what have hapend to OSI.

UO aint as bad as you people seem to think of it thought. True, its not what it used to be, but at least there is a well developed RP comunity on the european "shard", wich makes it worth its monthly cost.
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

You forget. Most Ultima fans will never warm up to UO, because it is what caused the destruction of the Ultima series (well, aside from EA that is)
Dupre

Post by Dupre »

I agree with Oblivious. Most UO fans that did play it left because it bore little resemblance to the Ultima series. ( present company included ).
Iceshard-

Post by Iceshard- »

I played UO up until right after AoS (Age of Shadows, to my knowledge, latest expansion) came out. I left simply because of so many ignored (They even said, somewhere, that they weren't going to even touch them for a few months, at least) bugs, and when people got struck by them and lost everything, including no drop items, they had no way to get them back. (Wonder why I left... Where is my spell book!?)
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

Mitchell, your story sounds so familiar... (UA, anyone?)