Mod-ready graphics

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Lathlas

Mod-ready graphics

Post by Lathlas »

So, if it hasn't been obvious by my recent posting frenzies, I have a lot more free time on my hands these days.

In addition to my Britannia map sprites and trying to make faces for BG, I've also been making random graphics that just looked cool.

I figured I'd see if anyone wanted to use some of the things I've been making, or post their own works in progress.

On a related note. Can anyone tell me how to save the coordinate offset for paperdolls in the GIMP?

Playing around with the caddellite helmet

The Codex coin from U5

Ankh earrings

Magic armor to match the BG shape

Cool Avatar armor. I used the Avatar costume as a base so it uses the same coordinates (32,77)

And a joinable gargoyle NPC. The head coordinates are (15,8)normal & (11,6)helmet
--------

No matter how badly the idiots outnumber you, they're still the idiots.
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Mod-ready graphics

Post by Dominus »

Great work!!!
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

I like some of the change to the helmet, but the object sprite for the helmet doesn't have the full open piece like the great helm does (and the eye slot is straight, not angled on the edges), or anything that would make it emit brightness out of the front like that. If you're intending that its completely closed off, then it would suffocate the wearer.. and if you mean the front is that open, it would eliminate the purpose of the helm (to block sound).

Aside from that, the codex coin should really have a darker border around it to match with the other stuff ingame, and it would also be completely out of scale if left that large. Yes, something smaller wouldn't have the same detail, but it also happens to be a coin and not a frisbee.

I love the avatar armor, but i'd suggest using the more normal red for the highlights rather than the light pinkish... I understand you're trying to make it stand out, but it makes those sections seem seperated and flat.
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

Sorry for the double post, but something more like this for the helm.

(edit by Marzo: hotlinked the image)

(I forget how to get an image to show again)

And sorry i'm so picky about it, but its another one that was originally mine..
guess I get a bit embarassed by this stuff being singled out, mainly as I can see all the flaws in each of them so much better now
Lathlas

Post by Lathlas »

I wasn't really objecting to you existing helmet, I was just messing around and figured I'd post it rather than delete it. I was originally trying to keep the same shape as your helmet, but make it seem more transparent. I got the impression from some kind of in-game dialogue (don't remember what exactly) that caddellite was more like a crystal than an ore. I was going to try for a blue glass feel and just gave up.

I know the codex coin should be smaller, but so should the runes and virtue stones... I tried a dark border and didn't like it as much.

I tried quite a few shades on the armor and settled on this one as my favorite.

A lot of this stuff is just quick experiments. I just like seeing what different things look like in-game. I have tons of totally failed graphics projects, this is just the moderately passable stuff.

I really want to make a winged gargoyle paperdoll, but I keep failing miserably. Having the wings behind the back doesn't conflict with the armor as badly as I'd worried since you can't see the join at all, but I'm really bad at creating shapes from scratch.
--------

Zacros

Post by Zacros »

Nice work mate. LOVE the cool Avatar armour :)
Lathlas

Post by Lathlas »

Thank you.
--------

darrenor64

Post by darrenor64 »

I think a codex frisbee would be a fun weapon/item.
You could use it on a dog, or equip it to Spark.
That is precisely the thing to do Avatar.
Madoc

Post by Madoc »

@Darrenor64:

Codex frisbee? Are you planning an Ultima parody mod?
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Good work. I would love to have a gargoyle who could join up. I do think that making a fully unclothed gargoyle paperdoll would be appropriate since they do not have visible genitalia and usually seem to be wearing very little. Otherwise I think that the U7-style paperdoll needs some work especially for the legs and feet, as especially the latter ones look like metal boots that have simply been colored red.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I like the Codex Coin a lot! I'd love to see that in a remake of the Royal Museum with more REAL Avatar artifacts (you know, unlike a pair of swamp boots). It would be great to see things like the Silver Tablet, the Book of Prophecy and the three relics of Truth, Love and Courage in the Museum too, wouldn't it?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

"I know the codex coin should be smaller, but so should the runes and virtue stones... I tried a dark border and didn't like it as much."

Actually, I think the Codex Coin is about right. Primarily, you want to make sure that the object is recognizable in-game. Keep in mind, the intro to U5 shows us the Coin is roughly fist-sized. If you scale it against a BG gold coin (assuming one is about the size of a US quarter) it's about right. I say good job! It's a magical token, not spendable currency afterall!