No matter what I do, paths don't work under Mandriva

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Goonlobster

No matter what I do, paths don't work under Mandriva

Post by Goonlobster »

I am not very Linux savvy, though I know my way around enough to edit the cfg. I'm sure it's pretty obvious that I am an XP user for the most part, but I haven't touched Linux in years and decided that a nice project would be to get the new Mandriva distro running on my laptop.

Anyways, here is the question -

How do I set up the paths correctly in exult.cfg for Mandriva 2009.1? I know that inherently this is an easily answered question to Linux regulars, but I just can't seem to get it to run. I am sure, however, that most of my problems stem from always logging in as root, but under my other account, I can't do any urpmi, chdir, sudo functions at all within bash, which is kind of weird, and kind of not considering I never use the other account.

I've tried using /.exult/blackgate (placing the contents of my gamedat therein) as the path set in exult.cfg. Doesn't work.

I've tried using /root/.exult/blackgate, doesn't work. How do I specify that it is the ROOT tree directory, and not the root subfolder or a particular user? I am completely in the dark about this and there seems to be no fix. :(
Gunnar

Re: No matter what I do, paths don't work under Mandriva

Post by Gunnar »

go to the directory where you installed blackgate and type pwd. The response should be entered in the config file
Goonlobster

Post by Goonlobster »

No dice. I'm only really able to do anything logged in as root, so /root/.exult/blackgate/gamedat still gives me the 'files not found' error. :(
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Without /gamedat. Also see the documentation.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Goonlobster

Post by Goonlobster »

It STILL doesn't do anything. With or without the gamedat directory specified. Also, the documentation has no information as to the correct way to set paths in the config file.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Then look more closely
http://exult.info/docs.php#exult_config tells you where to find the exult.cfg file and what the correct syntax to use in the exult.cfg. http://exult.info/docs.php#path_config gives you more advice on this and then there is http://exult.info/docs.php#dir_config which gives you even more details... And yes, we used a typical Windows way to describe things but the paths only need to be adapted to your Linux system.
If it still fails, please tell us at which location you installed BG and SI (and which version - floppy or CD-Rom) and post the contents of your exult.cfg file.

(and yes, I just noticed that the documentation has the numbering wrong atm)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Goonlobster

Post by Goonlobster »

Okay, so, first thing's first...

My U7 copy is CD-ROM (EA Top Ten Pack 1994 - yes, I was in like 2nd grade when I got this) and I had to purchase Serpent Isle seperately (also CD-ROM), so both are the CD-Rom versions, though they were still DOS installed at the time so it is more like floppy on a CD-Rom, if that makes sense (config.sys and autoexec.bat tweaks and all).

Like I said, I run everything as root since I like the ability to fully customize my system when I am using it, so I don't quite understand how significantly this changes the directory structure when games are concerned, and expected to find something in a specific directory and ignoring factors such as root / super user and what have you.

Sorry if I'm a little incoherent, I just took a hydrocodone a while ago (which I'm not used to) since I recently had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted.

Here is the directory, as it appears in DFM, that U7 is installed:

Root/home/andy/Ultima7

It lists root with the uppercase R, though in bash, when I check present working directory it returns
/home/andy/Ultima7.

So gamedat is located at:
/home/andy/Ultima7/gamedat

Serpent Isle is located at
/home/andy/Ultima7/serpent/SI

...and does not have its own gamedat subdirectory (I don't remember if it had a seperate one or not since I haven't played U7 under anything but Exult for the better part of the last 8 years or so)

Like I said, this is what pwd returns but I don't know how the Linux version expects to find it.

Here is what I have in exult.cfg:

/home/andy/Ultima7

blackgate

/home/andy/Ultima7/gamedat

/home/andy/Ultima7

/home/andy/Ultima7/Serpent/SI

/home/andy/Ultima7/Serpent/SI

...I trimmed everything out past the function for brevity.

I have tried most imaginable avenues to remedy my problem and still no dice. I really appreciate everyone's help and promise not to be a troll when someone razzes me for being a nooblet and not knowing how to configure paths correctly for Linux games.

Thanks guys.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Gamedat is irrelevant; it is the directory of the currently active game (and hence, of the "quick save"). The relevant directory is "static"; it is this one that must point to the correct place. Between and , for each game, you must put the directory that contains the corresponding static directory. You may have to change the name of the static directory to lowercase (i.e., to "static" instead of "STATIC") or directly specify it through the tag (in one of the lonks Dominus gave).
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]