Big project involving Exult

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Axel DominatoR

Big project involving Exult

Post by Axel DominatoR »

Hi all,
I'm starting a big project with a client/AI/server architecture.
The server and the AI will run on a virtual machine, and the client on a semi-virtual machine.
The client will be a sort of roleplaying game, where you can navigate into the server and interact with people and objects.
Now... exult it's very advanced, stable and has very good APIs... and taking code from it, UOP and TSSHP will create a sort of "three-in-one" client, but using most of the exult code, because it's veeery good.
Now, first I want to ask permission to exult developers to use their code to start my project, and maybe if I could get supported in any way ( maybe by adding every months some news on exult page ) I would be very happy.
Sorry for my english but it's not my main language.

Anyone interested? I could also help developing exult, I can do a lot of things and I only need anyone to say me if there is anything to do.
Thanks.

Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC
nadir
Site Admin

Re: Big project involving Exult

Post by nadir »

Exult's code is under a very specific license: the GPL. Read it and you will know what rights you have over our source code.
Why not use SourceForge ?
Axel DominatoR

Post by Axel DominatoR »

I already use Sourceforge and I know that exult is under GPL license ... well I thinked that you will be happy to know that I'm using exult code because it's good.
However I posted it here because it's a project that regards exult and I'm also a bit in need of help...

Thanks for help

Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC

P.S.

my site is HellCats.sourceforge.net
and HellCatsHQ.net/index.html

but strangely it isn't working for now... maybe a server problem...
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Sure; sounds like fun. As we put Exult under the GPL, we're happy to see it reused.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

One thing I've been wondering is how this will differ from Furcadia, which is kind of an online 'Ultima 6'.
Axel DominatoR

Post by Axel DominatoR »

Well...
here's a brief description of my project.

The server is a big, clustered, computer.
It's a virtual machine, because it's not a normal computer, and it can be on multiple computers at the same time...
Then there are secondary systems, such as AI and NPC controllers.
Third. The client... here comes exult, that it's almost perfect, but It will be modified to adapt our custom graphics, objects, and rules...
It will run on top of a sort of reduced virtual machine, used for compatibility with the "mother" virtual machine.
The world will not be Britannia or Serpent Isle or anything regarding Ultima, because it's enough different, but if anyone likes more informations, I'll post it here.
Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC
K.I.L.E.R

Post by K.I.L.E.R »

WOW.
That is cool Axel. Good luck.