Invulnerable Treasure Chests?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Khumash-Gor

Invulnerable Treasure Chests?

Post by Khumash-Gor »

Hey guys, I'm new to this site so let me just say hi to everybody and let me say to the Exult team, you guys are great!

I just had a few questions. I'm quite sure that in the origional BG, I could break open locked treasure chests, however I'm unable to do so with Exult. Is this a bug or a choice by you?

Also, is there any way to spead up the Telescope's viewing/scroll speed? I've got the game set to 10fps, but the telescope still seems very slow when I'm looking through it.

Also just a tid-bit... I have adobe photoshop 7.0, and when its open and in the background, Exult doesn't seem to run properly. Simply closing it fixes the problem.

Windows Version: XP-SP1
Exult Version: 0.99.2cvs
Sound Card: SB Live! Platnium
Video Card: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500DV
-Vividos Dragon-
SB-X

Re: Invulnerable Treasure Chests?

Post by SB-X »

What do you mean by "doesn't seem to run properly"?
broken fusion!

Post by broken fusion! »

well
Don't run photshop and exult at the same time?
;)
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

> I just had a few questions. I'm quite sure that in the origional BG, I could break open
> locked treasure chests, however I'm unable to do so with Exult. Is this a bug or a choice by
> you?

I'm pretty sure Exult works the same as the original here. Some chests can be destroyed in the original, and others can't.
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

>What do you mean by "doesn't seem to run properly"?

Well, when photoshop is open in the background when I'm trying to play U7 with Exult, the game pauses constantly. It freezes and then I'm able to play for a few seconds before it freezes again.

But, like broken fusion says, I just don't play with photoshop open :) I was just letting everybody know of this, FYI type of thing.

As for the chests, I've tried hammering away on a few more. Locked and unlocked, but to no avail. My STR is 60 and I have The Black Sword, so I should be able to bust them open but I can't.
-Vividos Dragon-
MV

Post by MV »

I found that with exult you have to keep double clicking the chests for the avatar to attack them.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I'd venture that the Photoshop-in-background problem is a Windows bug. Or maybe Photoshop and Exult are competing for CPU time.
MV

Post by MV »

I just tried it. I loaded photoshop 7 and just left it idle, then I played a bit of exult, it's fine for me. Maybe you need more ram?

/me
Exult 1.1.x 15-10-2002 image. 400x300 x2 scaling, 6fps.
WinXP SP1
XP1800+ @ 1610
512meg DDR @ 175mhz
gf4 ti4200 128meg @300/550. (40.72 drivers soon to be back to 30.82 because the 40.xx range are absolute garbage and slow).
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

>Or maybe Photoshop and Exult are competing for CPU time.

Can't be CPU I wouldn't think. Before I did some tests, I ran Exult the same time I had SETI@home running, and that chews up 100% of my CPU. Exult ran beautiful :)

>just tried it. I loaded photoshop 7 and just left it idle, then I played a bit >of exult, it's fine for me. Maybe you need more ram?

Ram? I've got 256, should be more than enough.

Either way, its quite simple, shut photoshop down :)
-Vividos Dragon-
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

You could upgrade to "Exult 1.1.x" CVS like MV and see how it works.
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

I did actually upgrade a few days ago. The chests are working a lot better now, however the Photoshop problem still exists for me. Nothing else running, onlyh photoshop and exult.

I loaded photoshop first, and then Exult secondly. It took about 10 seconds for the menu to pop up to where I could see everything, and it was all dif colors. I know photoshop has this color matching whatever, when it loads. So in that case if it hapens with nobody else, I can probably assume its something to do with my Radeon AIW 8500DV drivers and photoshop perhaps.
-Vividos Dragon-
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

It's CPU...

Adobe photoshop uses a large amount of CPU percentage, so Exult doesn't have enough to run well! (It's something in the coding that makes it dominant)

It's good to be back again... I hope I helped!
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

This all reminds me of a little glitch Exult has with which chests can be broken when locked, but you shouldn't be able to in the original. You get some funny dialouge too! :)

Go to the monitor training on SI and find the training field/arena. Then go down the stairs in the north part of the guy you converse with to train. Last of all, destroy the door in the way and destroy all the chests.

Be sure to take note what he says before it, then get ready to laugh when you do this!