Possible bug?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Khumash-Gor

Possible bug?

Post by Khumash-Gor »

I'm trying to get Forsythe in Skara Brae to sacrifice himself to destroy the well of souls. But I can't seem to get Rowena to talk to me to ask her to sacrifice herself. After I dumped the potion on the Liche, everyone appeared in the tower, I took Rowena back to her husband and then talked to Forsythe about sacrifice. Now I then went around asking everyone else, I asked Trent before Rowena, and then she wouldn't talk to me when I clicked to talk to her... I then used a bedroll to sleep. She disappeared from Trent's shop and was sitting back on the throne in the tower, but now I can't get either Trent or Rowena to talk to me, they keep asking me where the other is and then I'm left standing there like an idiot :)

Which I often do I might add.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something simple again???
-Vividos Dragon-
Khumash-Gor

Re: Possible bug?

Post by Khumash-Gor »

Hmm, its quite funny that this very subject is mentioned in your FAQ. however, there is no solution for it there, and its not "crashing" BG so to speak. :)

I wonder if the original BG has left some droppings behind in my game for me to pick up?
-Vividos Dragon-
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

he he, yeah, poorly chosen example.
What I need to add to the FAQ is the solution to this problem.
When you reunited Rowenna with Trent you most likely were standing to far away from Trent and now there is too much space between Rowenna and him. Either reload from before you reunited them and make sure you are standing right next to him
or hackmove Rowenna close to him (no need to fall back on an earlier savegame).
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

Thanks Dominus :)

So its a general rule then, when you want to do something, do it close to whatever your doing/going to do huh? Could a "Too Far Away" rule be imput into BG? I think there was something like that in SI, but its been so many years I've forgotten the small details.
-Vividos Dragon-
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I think that's one of the only bugs that could hit you when doing something from too far away. But it only happens to you when you are "cheating" by playing with an higher resolution than the original... :-)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

In SI there is at least one (Banquet and Pikeman Egg being removed)

The problems are actually due to slight a flaw in the Usecode. They really aren't things that we can fix.

-Colourless Dragon
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

I'll just stop being lazy by talking to people from the other side of the screen then, hehe.
-Vividos Dragon-
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Well, we could possibly add in some protection by adding in a limit for the distance that a double click would work.
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

That could be a possibility, but it may annoy a lot of people...

On a side note, my computer isn't suppose to be reset after I jump into the blackgate to get back to Earth is it? I'm pretty sure it isn't! I tried it a second time to see if it did it, but it didn't, just kicked me out to the desktop, no BG or Exult menus or anything. Is that the proper response?

I can try a few more times if you want to see if it will reset my computer again :)
-Vividos Dragon-
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

It probably should go back to the Exult menu for convenience, but it doesn't. In the original it didn't either - it would go back to the DOS prompt.
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

I see.

I've found another little tidbit. I found that if you stand in a certain spot infront of the statue of Courage and hack-move, he or something else will kill you and your party members. I have a screen shot of this example if anyone is interested.

I like to use this castle for my Home and decorate it after I beat the game, thats how I found this.
-Vividos Dragon-
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Hey Colourless! I think the distance-limiter for double-clicking addon could be interesting. It could add realism to the game. Well, and if someone feels annoyed with this, there´s always the possibility of implementing it as an option, of course. In SI I remember people approaching to you for talking when you double-click them from far away. What about a "Feature Request" then?
-Zósite K.S. from Moonlightshadow-
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

Hehehe, I like buying weapons from a mile away:

YOU: HERE'S YOUR MONEY!!!
*you throw it in his general direction and it falls down a gutter.*
SHOPKEEPER: HERE!!!
*clank clank*
YOU: I DON'T THINK IT MADE IT!!!
MV

Post by MV »

Now don't try this with glass swords. We're professionals.