Maybe you´re mistaken DrCode

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Zosite

Maybe you´re mistaken DrCode

Post by Zosite »

-From the bug tracker:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >> Author: Automaton Dragon
>> Date: 10-14-02 07:41

>> I find that party members sometimes freeze & won't
>> move if you try to move something that's "too heavy"
>> or "can't get there". The solution is to just click on
>> something nearby (even a wall works), then the party
>> unfreezes.

> And not only party members but all NPCs around
> become freezed if trying to move those objects until you
> left-click something else. It does not occur in the
> original. Using 1.0x snapshots dated on 2002-10-15 with
> WinXP.

>-Message

> Date: 2002-10-24 04:47
> Sender: jsf
> Logged In: YES
> user_id=10931

> I remember this bug, but fixed it a while ago. Seems okay
> in the 1.00 snapshot I have.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, DrCode, you´ve closed the bug because in the 1.00 snapshot that you have it seems okay. I have the latest 1.0x snapshot ( 2002-10-15 ) and the problem is still there. Perhaps you´re playing with a snapshot that hasn´t been posted in "Downloads" yet. Otherwise I ask you to try it again because the bug is always there in both BG and SI. Thanks for your attention anyway. [:-))
And if anybody using 1.0x has been tormented by this bug as myself... post it here in order to back me up on this. Thanks
-Zósite K.S. from Moonlightshadow-
Khumash-Gor

Re: Maybe you´re mistaken DrCode

Post by Khumash-Gor »

Zósite,

Could it perhaps be a problem with pathfinding? I sometimes get the same problem you do, I think its just a click anywhere that fixes the problem doesn't have to be on an object. I found that turning off pathfinding in the options helps this problem a lot :)
-Vividos Dragon-
bobo

Post by bobo »

The way I get the game tounfreeze is to click both mouse buttons at once and hit it on the desk not very hard though. :) Also I have 1.1 that might help.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I'm sorry; it's not that I don't believe you. It's just that some things are so intermittent that we can't do anything about them. I like to use the bug list as a 'todo' list, do I prefer not to keep 'unfixable' items in it. Eventually, either someone will come up with a recipe for causing the bug every time, or one of us developers will run across the problem when we're using Exult. And then it will get fixed.
Gileatane Dragon

yeah thats been around awhiles

Post by Gileatane Dragon »

I just wait a second for whatever "queued" commands to flush then just plain ol' left click with no windows/guis open and its fine. Works fer me.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

[center] Yes; as all of you say it´s easy to solve the problem when it occurs. But IT IS A BUG and happens almost every time you try to move something that is TOO HEAVY. DrCode, you said it was fixed a while ago... when? where? Is it so difficult to reproduce it again?
Oh, by the way: I´m still thinking that the "wrong bed" bug is horrible and should be fixed too. For those who don´t trust me look at this... [;-))

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download ... aid=624722[/center]
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

you should check your character's behaviour. Its sexual orientation is it own business but c'mon, with a bedridden sick person!?

:)

Artaxerxes
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

See why I´m asking to fix it?! I´ll become insane if you don´t... [:-))
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

The 'wrong bed' bug is fixed in the 1.1x branch, but not in 1.00. I know it's an irritation, but it's not that bad a bug.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

tell that to the sick diseased man that has to "share" a bed with the avatar! :)

/me giggles

Artaxerxes
Khumash-Gor

Post by Khumash-Gor »

This problem existed in the original BG as well. I don't think its a bug, rather just poor input handling... Or could that be a bug so to speak. :) I remember well because I use to have a huge trackball mouse for U7, it worked very well for the game believe it or not. Sometimes the problem is useful because most of the time after you use your left click to "unfreeze" everybody, your stuck in a continuos walk mode. So then you don't have to hold down your right button, just point.
-Vividos Dragon-
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Ok, sorry DrCode; I´ve been searching in 1.1x changelog and found this:

[center]2002-08-12 Jeff Freedman

* schedule.h,usecode/intrinsics.cc:Always use bed that was
double-clicked.

* schedule.cc: Bug in getting tz.
* usecode/conversation.cc: Repaint when you pop_answers().[/center]

No problem then, it´s only that your message to my bug request was "Sorry" so I thought you weren´t going to fix it in any branch. Sorry again! [:-))
And, about the "TOO HEAVY" problem: Are you sure that it happens in the original U7 as well, Khumash-Gor? I´ve tried the original and I haven´t seen it at all... Anyway I´m going to try it again, by the gods!! And, although it could be useful for you, if it is a bug it MUST BE fixed. Extracting weapons from a locked chest ( it was a bug too ) was very useful indeed but... simply annoying
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

It´s done. I´ve tried to reproduce the "TOO HEAVY" bug in the original U7 and it didn´t work though I´ve tried it many times. It MUST BE a bug in Exult. Just wondering what snapshot DrCode could have to avoid it, because it happens to me almost every time I try to move anything that´s too heavy. And if you are still sure that the bug occurs in the original as well, Khumash-Gor, tell me how can you reproduce it, please.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I don't remember it in the original U7. Are others seeing this bug in the 1.00 branch? We want to release 1.00 this week, and I don't want to touch the code unless there's something really serious.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Now it´s time for all of you who suffer this bug to post it here so it can be fixed. Khumash-Gor,"bobo", Gileathane Dragon, myself... Who´s the next?
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

Zosite, stop complaining here, open a bug in the bugtracker, so DrCode can move it to 1.1
1.0 is coming out as is.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

...Actually he already did, but I closed it because I couldn't duplicate it.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Actually I prefer to post bugs in the bug tracker and I do so... DrCode could tell you about, Nadir. It´s only that after DrCode said it was fixed a while ago, I duplicated it again with the 1.0x, and again, and again...
I could be happy with my bug request for the 1.1x; I assume you want to release the 1.00 asap. But my bug request was closed at all. Could you reopen it again even for the 1.1x? This bug is still there, and it´s still annoying!
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Maybe you can post links to a series of screenshots displaying the bug being reproduced. But I'm probably the only one interested in that. :)
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

But, what do you want SB-X? The bug is supposed to freeze everybody and everything. How could you appreciate that in a screenshot?!! [:-o)
fliptw

Post by fliptw »

Simple:

If I(a programmer) cannot recreate the bug(any software bug),and recreate consistently, I cannot begin to fathom where to start looking to fix it.

so a series of screenshots recreating the bug would be a big help.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Here is a way to reproduce the bug:

Go into any dungeon and try to 'pick up' one of those grey heaps of stone that tend to lie in corners and sometimes block entrances. Just point at the heap, push the right mouse button, and move the pointer. I am using the latest 1.1 snapshot, and usually (not always!) this will freeze my party.

If I remember correctly, in the 1.0 branch snapshot which I originally used, the party freeze would always occur (yes, I know, it's odd).

I would like to add that I do not really consider the 'party freeze' a problem since clicking on a random object seems always to unfreeze the party again.

Thanks to all the people working on Exult - I love your work.

Gerry
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

> Just point at the heap, push the "right" mouse button, and move the pointer.

Gerry, I suppose you wanted to say: "push the LEFT mouse button, and move the pointer"... [:-)) Otherwise you´re using some sort of left-handed mouse although I think it´s not implemented in Exult. ( "H" key to toggle left-handed mouse in the original U7 )
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Yes, my mouse is lefthanded - and apparently it works as such under the 1.1 snapshot I am using. I didn't actually know that in Exult the button functions were the other way around if you used a right-hand pointing device.

Gerry
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Well, know... Realise is a better word. I had just become accustomed to having left-hand functionality.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

[center]Ok, Gerry. [:-)) Any more people seeing this damned bug in the 1.0x or even the 1.1x?[/center]
Morg

Post by Morg »

I have seen this problem before but i've had trouble recreating it, personally i blame the poltergeist, but i have a few ideas about what it's based off of.

If you try to move an unmovable object and do not release the mouse button the game will stop until you release the mouse button. try doing it in a crouded area or a place with animals and you'll see

The other possibilty is that releasing the mouse button is the same as clicking the mouse button. try holding left click and releasing it over an object.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

I´ve tried it again, Morg, and I´ve found this: if you hold the mouse button until "TOO HEAVY" becomes the green arrow again ( which is annoying ) or you release it over some "identificable" object, the game doesn´t freeze.
But if you release the button before the green arrow appears or over "non-identificable object" ( terrain, water... ) the game ALWAYS freeze so you need to click something else to unfreeze it; of course it didn´t happen in the original U7. Very odd!! [:-/)
Zosite

*cough* Houston, Houston!!

Post by Zosite »

Yujuuu!! Will anybody do something about this problem? I´m waiting for an answer, even for a refusing one... [:-|)
wjp
Site Admin

Re: Maybe you're mistaken DrCode

Post by wjp »

Sounds like the mousebuttonup event isn't being handled by the main event loop. Ugh.
Zosite

So...

Post by Zosite »

... Well, ejem... Does it mean it can be fixed, WJP? Now Exult 1.00 has been released and I´m using the 1.1x but the problem is still there... Should I reopen the bug report?