Weird sounds in SI

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Sergorn

Weird sounds in SI

Post by Sergorn »

Erm.. I've just started playing SI.
Latest 1.1.x Snapshot and MT-32 FX.
However I keep hearing weird sounds whenever my characters it something into battle (some kind of somwhat chime sounding stuff).

Is that normal ? :/

-Sergorn
Gerry

Re: Weird sounds in SI

Post by Gerry »

I too am currently playing SI using the latest snapshot and am encountering what seems to be the same problem. Whenever MIDI sound is played, it sounds distorted. It's very much like listening to a badly tuned radio.

I used the snapshot that was released about two months ago before, and MIDI playback then seemed to be fine.

Technical details:

- MIDI type: digital
- SDL release: 1.2.5
- Sound card: Neomagic Magicmedia 256AV (Laptop).
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

I too am currently playing SI using the latest snapshot and am encountering what seems to be the same problem. Whenever MIDI sound is played, it sounds distorted. It's very much like listening to a badly tuned radio.

I used the snapshot that was released about two months ago before, and MIDI playback then seemed to be fine.

Technical details:

- MIDI type: digital
- SDL release: 1.2.5
- Sound card: Neomagic Magicmedia 256AV (Laptop).
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

NB: the OS I am using is Windows '98, 'first edition'.
Dirty Hairy

Post by Dirty Hairy »

I also stumbled across that problem (although this was some time ago, I hadn't the time to try since then...). I think some sound is being played at the wrong time. I first thought it was a problem with the mt-32 soundpack, but it also happens with the "standard" soundpack. It sounds like a mistuned trumpet, quite annoying... It was definitely a problem with the soundfx, it sounded quite different with the adlib-pack...
MV

Post by MV »

No sound problems here with the 3-11-2002 1.1.x snap.

I'm using the onboard cmedia on my a7v333.

I did notice that they have put back in the "slow you down when enemies are about" thing again. Just like the original, the arrow would go from full length, to half length. I liked it when it just stayed at full length and I could run full speed.

And I don't know if anyone has brought it up before, but the gazers are still shooting through walls.
Gileatane Dragon

Post by Gileatane Dragon »

Speaking of gazers, did they not paralyse originally ?
I remember them being harder. *shrug*
MV

Post by MV »

I remember gazers shooting death bolts originally. They were a pain to fight. But yea, some shot paralysing bolts too. And they did stop you instead of just damaging.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

I yesterday tried GM conversion instead of the Ogg Vorbis encoded music files. MIDI playback now functioned perfectly.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

>I remember gazers shooting death bolts originally. They were a pain to fight. But yea, some shot paralysing bolts too. And they did stop you instead of just damaging.

You´re right MV. They shoot death bolts too in the original. And, more trouble, I´ve noticed that in the 1.00 ( perhaps in the 1.1x too ) paralysing bolts, not only gazers´ bolts but mages´ ones too, paralyze party members but not the Avatar himself, who keeps moving like they were only bad jokes. Ejem... bug report
-Zósite K.S. from Moonlightshadow-