SI - Exult or Dosbox?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Alexander Meltinus

SI - Exult or Dosbox?

Post by Alexander Meltinus »

Hi everybody,
some time ago, I finished BG. It was a great experience, I didn't stumble into any plotstoppers or other villainous bugs. Honestly I don't think I would have had the great time in the game without Exult (wild flying carpet-rides + Dosbox don't match well... ;)). So thank you very much for your work! I really appreciate it. :)
Now I wanted to start SI, but as I read here in the discussion, there seem to be some nasty bugs pestering the game. Now I'm not sure if I should take the safe route via Dosbox (Is SI better optimized than BG? It seems to work much more fluently. Or am I wrong?) or test my luck with the current version of Exult.
Can you advise me here?
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: SI - Exult or Dosbox?

Post by Dominus »

I'm currently playing through and SI plays fine. There is just one kind of nasty bug resulting from the messed up Desk Schedule. This bug should be resolved soon (TM) :)
(I'm investigating and need help from Willem to make it more foolproof).

Plotwise I'm pretty close to the end. The banes have been defeated....
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Alexander Meltinus

Post by Alexander Meltinus »

Ok, that sounds encouraging, then I think I'll wait until the next build of Exult arrives. ;)

May I ask you a dosbox-related question in the meantime?
I've configured SI to work with MT-32-sound (with Taewoong's SVN-build and the MT-32-roms). Every sound works perfectly, but one single sound effect - the rushing water sound at the coasts - isn't playing. I've compared it to BG - here the sound effect is played properly with the same configuration.
Do you know if they changed something in the game's sound handling in SI compared to BG?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I'd say get the Munt GUI and use that as midi device in original Dosbox 0.74 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/fi ... e/download)
You will still need the ROMs but this way you can be sure to have the latest MT32 emu and not the slightly outdated from Taewongs SVN builds of Dosbox.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

ok, fixed the desk schedule somewhat, wait for a new Windows snapshot and you should be fine. (old savegames are not, though because the NPCs may already be overburdend by the many desk items)
--
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

I finished SI (after starting it in oh 93/94) with Exult about 6 years ago with absolutely no problems.. Basically did a complete walkthrough with the Origin cluebook, and didnt hit a single snag..
Almost positive it was finished with daily SVN builds too (before 1.5 was actually 'released'), as at the time Dominus, me and a few others were racking our brains trying to get the stupid thing to compile as a distributable Universal Binary for Mac OS X..

I still have my savegame right at the last point in the game if ya wanna see the end real quick hehehe..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!