When will the beta come? It has !!!

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Petteri

When will the beta come? It has !!!

Post by Petteri »

Hi all!

Thanks for all the wonderful work you have done. I'm just wondering when will the beta version come? I'm running currently with the 0.94alpha5 on Mac OS, and can't compile the latest snapshots. My compiler is too old. So I was wondering if you have any release date set or any guesses when you'll be releasing the next version.
fingolfin
Site Admin

Re: When will the beta come?

Post by fingolfin »

We want to make it real soon now.

If you are particular desperate, I could send you a current snapshot for MacOS (in fact, i need to test on MacOS before the release anyway, I am using MacOS X all the time currently :)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Should be this week. We've been letting the code settle, and I'd like to start a new BG game just to see if things look right.

I also need to destroy the Steltek drone in Privateer:-)
warning

Post by warning »

Is it safe to assume that if we download the latest snapshot then we basically have the beta release? Or are there more fixes yet to happen before the beta is final?
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Yes. If nothing bad comes up, this will be the Beta.
Petteri

Post by Petteri »

Sure, it would be nice if you can send me a compiled version of the current snapshot. Is it enough if you send just the application?
Sophen

Post by Sophen »

only a month left till christmas. Will there be a present under the tree? perhaps an alphaversion of the Exultstudio for windows? T
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Petteri: a compiled version is always in the download section. Binary means the compiled version. That´s assuming you mean the Windows version as no one can guess just by your request which OS you are running.

Sophen:
Exult Studio for Windows.... I would like to see that as well, but no one has done anything lately on it (to make it work in Windows) and I somehow doubt it will be done in a month...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Dominus: He quite clearly mentions he's using MacOS, actually :-)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Damn, I should read the beginning of a post actually before posting, shouldn`t I? :-)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
fingolfin
Site Admin

Post by fingolfin »

Finally got around working on it... I have succesfully built on OS 9 and will commit my changes to CVS now... who can say "break'in CVS" ??? :)
Gheralf Swîftwár

Post by Gheralf Swîftwár »

Hmm? So Exult is not beta, yet, then what is it now? Alpha?

Petteri: According to your username, you are Finnish. Could this be true?
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

We're on our fifth Alpha, and that's pretty much out-of-date now. The current snapshot is essentially Beta; we just haven't done the official release-work yet.
Petteri

Post by Petteri »

Gheralf: Sure, I'm Finnish. That should be quite visible from my ISP domain and email address. You seem to be Finnish, too :)
Mimu

Post by Mimu »

Who isn't? :P

Eagerly awaiting the delta version...
hoeksmas

Post by hoeksmas »

Ahh what the heck, lets just big a random greek letter and go with it. Come on omega release!
Lord Rat

Post by Lord Rat »

No, it seems XP is in popular demand.

When will Exult XP come??
Gheralf Swîftwár

Post by Gheralf Swîftwár »

DrCode: Ahh.. I noticed that the screenshots section had some pictures that didn't seem to work for me, yet.

Petteri: Aye, so I am ;)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

hm, maybe your browser doesn't like *.png files. Have you had problems with those?
--
Read the Rules!
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

Have you guys implemented anymore BG paperdolls, yet? Because I redid the color palette for both shots of the lightning whip to match accordingly with BG. Have you done any others since my earlier submissions?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Nope, AFAIK, keep your art coming! It's good! :-)
--
Read the Rules!
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

Thanks! Right now as I said before, I have both lightning whip frames done, and I just finished a firesword frame! I'm not currently satisfied with the lightning whip, however, as it looks a bit too beige/brass-colored for my taste, but it's still a lot better than a blue paperdoll for a golden whip. I've also been working on the throwing axe for some time, but I just can't get it quite right, so I'll probably have to draw a pre-render and then modify what I have now accordingly. I should be able to do the fireball wand and especially the spellbook without too much trouble. Another thing I have almost done is a modified wooden shield (looks the same as the SI one, but minus the bolt in the center and plus 2-3 more dents. The added dents look kinda weird, not because of their color palette or shading but because of their placement and direction on the shield. It just doesn't look quite complete to me yet, though I can't figure out what's missing. I also plan to tackle the Death Scythe, but I'm not sure on how I should design it. Therefore, I might take votes here, though first, I will need to know if Exult is capable of as implementing magic glows and jewels into a paperdoll.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

The Beta's available now for those of you who compile the source. Binaries should get uploaded in the next day or two.

But if you have today's snapshot, you already have it.
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

Binaries for Linux are up now (RedHat 7.2 and Debian Woody)
Sauron

Congrats

Post by Sauron »

Congratulation to the release of Exult Beta1.

Now I'm looking forward to 1.0. :-)

Bye,

Sven
nadir
Site Admin

Re: Congrats

Post by nadir »

Win32 binary is there as well now
Render Dragon

Post by Render Dragon »

Wonderful! Congrats to the Exult team for all their hard work on this amazing project! You guys all deserve cupcakes and ice cream.
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

Well said Render :) Fancy meeting you here. hehe
http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com
Fantasy art/Illustration by Brendan Setaro
Kruton

Congrats and a bug

Post by Kruton »

I went to sell my gems to the jewler in Britan and after he makes me an offer and asks if its ok, when i click yes, it dumps straight to the desktop. This was a brand new game started from scratch with the beta.

Other than that, it works great.
Oblivious

Re: Congrats and a bug

Post by Oblivious »

Although I see that Geoffrey still doesn't whack his dummy and the juggernaut hammer shape still doesn't glow orange.... I thought those were going to be fixed by the first beta....
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

We, the Exult team are against hurting dummies. Don't hurt your local dummy!!! Never. He is your friend and should be protected and valued above else.

:-)
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Kruton: please see the section in the FAQ about how to submit bugs. Sigh, this was supposed to be fixed.
--
Read the Rules!
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Hmm, I can't get this crash to happen. Could you submit a bug report with a savegame made right before you try to sell the gems?

http://sf.net/bugs/?group_id=2335
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

Yeah, well, archers still don't shoot their targets, either....