Ultima X Screenshot Leaked!

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
The ToasterThief

Ultima X Screenshot Leaked!

Post by The ToasterThief »

I just found out about this. It appears that the fabled Ultima X, which Richard Garriot spoke of many many years ago, could actually be coming soon. Ultima: Odyssey, perhaps?

http://www.crappyhosting.com/pro_upload ... ltimaX.jpg

uo.stratics.com is discussing it now.

(Not my hosting, mine is down temporarily.)
Trevor_Clim

Re: Ultima X Screenshot Leaked!

Post by Trevor_Clim »

yeah cool one :D
(CONSPIRACY!!!)
the sad thing about it: it's an mmorpg...
the good thing: it's totally revolutionary!
------------------SIGNATURE--------------------
Is this virtuous?
LaXDragon

Post by LaXDragon »

Well, not really a screenshot, its just a shot of the new logo for Ultima X. Since we know this is a EA game, and Richard Gariott is not involved, why should we even care about this game? It will suck.
Armchair_Avatar

Post by Armchair_Avatar »

I hope it's not vaporware like The Lost Vale.
Natreg Dragon

Post by Natreg Dragon »

Lost Vale is not vaporware. EA has it, and it´s finished. The problem is that EA would not release it...
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

LaxDragon, you are right!
shame on me!!! i have thought Ultima X was Garriott's Tabula Rasa (this is why i said: "the good thing: it's totally revolutionary!")

so, you are right, it's from EA, it will definately suck.

JUST THINK ABOUT what happened to Ultima Online 2...

grrrr, when i get this f****** idiot from EA, who is responsible for this whole things... Ultima 8, Ultima 9, Ultima Online 2, etc...
;o)
Is this virtuous?
Morg

Post by Morg »

Maybe it'll be a good game . . . who knows EA might turn it into a sports game, that they know how to make :-P
Herben

Post by Herben »

God save us from an Ultima EA sports game. Just imagine, at the slightest injury half your team runs away screaming "Aiieeeee!!" ;)
LaXDragon

Post by LaXDragon »

EA is all about making as much money as fast as possible. They do occasioanly make a good game (Battlefield 1942). When they do make a good game, they usually flood the market with addons and sequels as fast as possible. Just a brief history lesson.

I honestly hope it will be a good game. Based on past experience, I am not getting my hopes very high.
FluxRez

Post by FluxRez »

EA doesnt really make games
they just stand over those who do make them with a whip

even though EA owns origin that screenshot gave me the chills
like mega chills

I just hope Ultima X is a isometric top down perspective like Ultima 7
just think Ultima 7 in 3d. New adventure
Itd have to have a stable game engine though
guh
I need to stop now
before my head explodes
we will wait like 6 years before another ultima comes out im sure

well then again its EA they will release it before its done
Hacki

Post by Hacki »

I'd be very surprised if this "Ultima X" had anything to do with the classic Ultimas or even Ultima IX. I think it will only have the name in common. Or maybe they will recycle UO2 stuff for it. This news doesn't even bother me anymore :(
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Listen to Hacki and get real.
The brand and copyright of Ultima belongs to Origin which belongs to EA. Origin is just a shell for UO nowadays.
Expecting a non-multiplayer, isometric top down perspective like Ultima 7, strong storyline in these times and from this company is very unrealistic.

And you can't really compare U8 to U9 and both games to UO2.
At least they got released and U8 is becoming even more a beauty the more pentagram evolves...
UO2 is basicly what UO has become with that McFarlane stuff...

Ultima X will just be another clone of UO that EA needs to have something "new" out in this sector.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

Okay people. EA doesn't make all crappy games. They just sucked on Ultima titles.

Wait, what the heck am I saying? I can't name one single game EA made that was good... At all...

Well, nevermind I guess. Forget I brought it up...
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

To The ToasterThief:

This could be anything, from someone doctoring or creating the photo, to them actually making it. There is no real proof. Think of "The Cow Level" from diablo.
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

ehm, The Cow Level is no fake, isnt it? or didnt i understand you right ... ;)

[dreaming on]
just imagine Ultima 7 with the Dungeon Siege-Engine ! ehm, why the hell don't they make a remake of Ultima 7 with this!
[/dreaming off]

just imagine Origin being sold to EA some years earlier! Ultima 7 would have been crushed by them for sure...
Is this virtuous?
Morg

Post by Morg »

Snap out of it man

Who would want Ultima 7 wiht the Dungeon Siege-Engine when you already got Ultima 7 with the Exult Engine
Dino (can't log in)

Post by Dino (can't log in) »

Well, some people are remaking Ultima 7 with the Neverwinter Nights engine. I already told them that people prefer to play the original under Exult, but some people are stubborn...
sslaxx

Post by sslaxx »

Personally, I'd rather see remakes made with the Morrowind engine.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
[url]http://www.livejournal.com/users/sslaxx/[/url]
Armchair_Avatar

Post by Armchair_Avatar »

Well, some people are remaking Ultima 7 with the Neverwinter Nights engine. I already told them that people prefer to play the original under Exult, but some people are stubborn...
There is even a group of people who are remaking Ultima 8 with said engine :-)
Dino (can't log in)

But there isn't a program like Exult for Ultima 8 (yet), so we're making a remake. We[Exile]'ll release our demo sometime this summer, btw.
RazorBlade

Post by RazorBlade »

You shouldn't say that Dino, everytime I hear a release date, it gets canceled multiple times.. ;)
Dino (can't log in)

Oops, I let it slip :p

But I can tell you that we're very close :)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yeah, hurry up, before Pentagram gets in a playable state! I might even play it on Neverwinter Nights then :-)
Seriously a remake of U8 and U9 with the neverwinter nights engine make at least some sense.
My point being the not-so-great party options in NwN. I'm just not satisified when you can't use the party like you did in U6 and U7...
And as U8 and U9 don't have a party it doesn't matter much. And that one monster from NwN already looks a lot like Pyros :-)

Makes me wonder how Alter U9 is faring these days...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
RazorBlade

Post by RazorBlade »

I guess progress on AU9 is so slow, there would not be much different if it was dead. But Ultimafans a very, very patient. So perhaps in some time ... ;)

Also NWN has nice multiplayer. Perhaps you can roleplay a whole party^^
We are already playing U4 as a party, it should also work with U8.

So in mp someone could play Jaana or Devon, or even Mythran?

BTW, you can handle your party in NWN like in U7 (with the right modifications.)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

you can handle your party in NWN like in U7 (with the right modifications.)

That I have to see. Not that I don't believe you but the henchmen in the NWN game felt so useless and the first take on u4 was behaving the same way that I thought that was all there is...

And no thanks to mp (at least for me)...
--
Read the Rules!
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

Maybe for Ultima X the Avatar will return to Earth to discover the guardian has made good on his promise to take over his homeworld.

> Lost Vale is not vaporware. EA has it, and it´s finished. The problem is that EA would not release it.

I thought that they only got a few rough files finished before EA pulled the plug? It would be great if they released the files, but I doubt that will happen unless some employee decides to mysterouisly leak them onto the web without informing the bosses.
Dino (can't log in)

It's true, the lost vale was finished. EA just didn't release it. We have no chance of getting the original files because only EA can have those, but I have good chances of getting the plot. I mailed the person who knows the plot but I got no reply so far.

--

Moa Dragon, who leads Eriadain, says that work continues well on it, even though the website isn't updated. I don't know how true it is, but the screenshots they released a few months ago show that something is in progress...
Jiles

Post by Jiles »

It's either Dance Dance Ultima, Ultima: Enforce (in the style of Fallout : Brotherhood of Steel), or another 'expansion' to Ultima Online.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Pentagram... pentagram... pentagram....

Pentagram for U8 is actually progressing really well. For something that isn't exactly playable, you can now do a hell of a lot. The usecode interpreter seems to be functioning really well. There is still a fair amount of work to be done though on most other aspects of the game. Example, you can't even drag items yet. Of course implementing that is probably only going to be a job that would take a few hours. But there is only so much a team of 3 programmers can do.

As far a progress goes, I'm sure everyone is happy to know that yesterday I implemented drowning in Pentagram (unintentionally mind you). Almost seems like a new way to die is implemented everyday!

-Colourless Dragon
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

is there a page where we can read about the updates about Pentagram?

Artaxerxes
RazorBlade

Post by RazorBlade »

And no thanks to mp (at least for me)...
You miss a lot without that ... The way henchmen are implemented in the game isn't great at all. But you can modify everything, you can write their whole scripts and ai from scratch so it's 'no problem' to make the best henchmen out there. I don't know what the best implementation is atm but in _theory_ ...
I think the expansion does a better job with them, though it is not released here yet so I could not purchase it for now.
And again, don't think the official campaign is anything but crap.. (a bit exaggerated but anyway ^^)
As far a progress goes, I'm sure everyone is happy do know that yesterday I implemented drowning in Pentagram (unintentionally mind you). Almost seems like a new way to die is implemented everyday!
Rotfl! I guess disabling those "features" like drowning would make a nice feature in itself when it's finished.. ;)
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

> is there a page where we can read about the updates about Pentagram?

Sorry, not at this time. The ChangeLog should provide some info, though.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Here's a link to the Pentagram CVS Snapshot 'page': http://pentagram.sourceforge.net/snapshots/

Pentagram.zip is a source ZIP
Pentagram_win32.exe is a self extracting zip containing a compiled version of Pentagram for Windows
Pentagram_Tools_win32.exe is a sfx zip containing compiled versions of the Pentagram Tools for Windows

If you download, make sure you read the README file, and setup your config file as required.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

and I'll have to ask Kirben to upload the changelog as well as standalone file.
The README gives you quick overview of the basic keyboard commands but they are likely to change overnight so read the changelog as well for the current key combination.
For example: to test the drowning feature you need to press 'h' in the game, otherwise you will just walk over the water...

Oh and another goodie: the most important feature of U8 worked almost right away in Pentagram....
.... the cheat menu when you click on the avatar. some cheats even work :-)
endless fun there
--
Read the Rules!
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

well, I get a segmentation fault.

I had to rename FUSECODE.FLX to EUSECODE.FLX since I guess it is hardcoded somewhere to use EUSECODE.FLX

Maybe that's why I get a seg fault. It tries to access files that weren't loaded since they weren't found since they had a different name since I don't have the english version of U8. Or maybe there are accents that are not supported.

In any case, I guess seg fault whenever I am trying to talk to someone. Talking to myself does not crash at all.

Using NT4.

Artaxerxes
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

something that is missing in the readme:
only works with the english version and probably only "after patch versions"...
--
Read the Rules!
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

It should work with pre-patch, too.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

I just fixed the crash, and made pentagram look for fusecode.flx and gusecode.flx if it can't find eusecode.flx.
Dino (can't log in)

Nice to hear that pentagram development is going well! It would be nice, though, to make a bit of a site for it to show updates every so often.

Good work!
sslaxx

Post by sslaxx »

On a somewhat related vein, Will Wright discussed about doing a all-new, original game. Not at franchise-obssessed EA he won't! I give him 18 months tops before he quits/is sacked.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
[url]http://www.livejournal.com/users/sslaxx/[/url]
Gileathane Dragon

Post by Gileathane Dragon »

Speaking of remakes made with the Morrowind engine. -
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~ultima9/ubb ... &number=12
has some interesting poll questions from the U9:Redemption team.

Gileathane