Pocket PC (ARM) Binary Package

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Lanica
Site Admin

Pocket PC (ARM) Binary Package

Post by Lanica »

Get it while its hot!

http://flipz.net/exult/exult-pocketpc-arm.zip

-Lanica
Thara

Re: Pocket PC (ARM) Binary Package

Post by Thara »

Finally a port :D

unfortunately, i can't get it to run...

copied dirs and inserted

\SD-MMC card\Exult\ULTIMA7

(default)

jmsfx.flx

\SD-MMC card\Exult\SERPENT

(default)

jmsisfx.flx

Exult can't find data files and stdout.txt says:

dpath = \SD-MMC card\Exult\data
timidity.cfg:
Failed to initialize midi player (code: 1)
Failed to initialize midi player (code: 1)
L_PARACHUTE, HAVE_ZIP_SUPPORT
Compiler: Microsoft C/C++ Compiler, version: 150.1.1213

Platform: Windows CE Version 5.1 Build 195
Exult path settings:
Data : \SD-MMC card\Exult\data
Digital music : \SD-MMC card\Exult\data\music

Up 37
Down 39
Left 40
Right 38
A 193
B 196
C 194
Start 13
Black Gate : not found (.\static\endgame.dat)
exult_bg.flx : found
Serpent Isle : not found (.\static\sispeech.spc)
exult_si.flx : found
OGG Vorbis Digital Music: Disabled
Trying: `Timidity'
Failed!
Trying: `MT32Emu'
Failed!
Trying: `FMOpl'
Success!
Midi Output: Enabled

I'm obviously doing something wrong...

greets,
Bob
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Is exult.cfg in \Exult\exult.cfg ?

Looks like thats the problem. Just create \Exult and copy exult.cfg into there and that SHOULD fix it.

Thanks,
Phillip
Thara

Post by Thara »

Got it running!

Runs well, but I have an issue with the pointer. I run exult on a device with a 640x480 screen. In 320x240 mode the pointer is not where I tap the stylus at. The input 'window' seems to be a 320x240 rectangle in the upper right screen corner which translates the movement over the entire screen area, putting the pointer more off the farther you move from the top right corner. Apparently Exult does not recognize the device switching in a pseudo 320x240 fullscreen mode.
640x480 native works fine, but is too large a screen, since scaling won't work (at least for me).

Great work so far!
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Thanks for the bug report! Do you mind revealing to me what device you use? Feel free to email if you don't want it on the forum. That may provide some clues... I'll see if I can test in that resolution to fix the problem.

Thanks!
Thara

Post by Thara »

I don't mind at all :)

I work with an ACER n311 Handheld running Windows Mobile 5.

Another small point - since Exult runs in landscape orientation on my device, would it be possible to change the orientation of the directional keys?

Again, thanks for your work on this!!!
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

The directional keys ... thats a known bug. I need to work on a way to detect the device dpad or provide a mechanism for users to be able to switch it.

I'll get back to you on the other issues...maybe today.....probably not until mon or tues though.
Thara

Post by Thara »

Please take your time... for me it is time to sleep and then off to work :( , enjoy your weekend!!!
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

To Thara~

In the Exult directory, edit the files "bgdefaultkeys.txt" and "sidefaultkeys.txt" to whatever you need them to be. The following should be the lines you need to edit.

right walk_east
left walk_west
up walk_north
down walk_south
KP7 walk_north_west
KP8 walk_north
KP9 walk_north_east
KP4 walk_west
KP5 center_screen
KP6 walk_east
KP1 walk_south_west
KP2 walk_south
KP3 walk_south_east

Shift-right walk_east 1
Shift-left walk_west 1
Shift-up walk_north 1
Shift-down walk_south 1

Shift-KP7 walk_north_west 1
Shift-KP8 walk_north 1
Shift-KP9 walk_north_east 1
Shift-KP4 walk_west 1
Shift-KP6 walk_east 1
Shift-KP1 walk_south_west 1
Shift-KP2 walk_south 1
Shift-KP3 walk_south_east 1

To Lanica~

It might be a good idea to have the revised renamed as "bgdefaultkeyslandscape.txt" and "sidefaultkeyslandscape..txt" in the release for people who have similar problems as Thara.
velinion

Post by velinion »

Downloaded it. Will try it out on an HP hx2495 (WM 5) later this week (away from home at the moment, and have no sync cable or SD card reader....)
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

I have to say great work :-)

Things very much seem to have improved since I last attempted a PocketPC port.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

My pocket pc tells me the Exult file is not a pocket pc application...
I have a Toshiba e755. Do you think it is not compatible to your port?
Quentin
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Quentin,

That means either the copy didn't complete or its not a compatible OS. I compiled it for WM5 (I neglected to mention that). What version of Windows Mobile are you running?

-Phillip
Timothy Alicie

Post by Timothy Alicie »

Hi there, I just tried it on PocketPC 3.01, ARM SA1110 cpu, and I got the same error: "Exult is not a valid PocketPC application." Can you simply select a PocketPC 3 target in your build setup? Or maybe that's wishing too much!
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

ROM version 2.0006.0409
OS version: 4.20.1081 (build 13100)

CPU type: intel pxa255 400mhz

thanks for the help!
Quentin
velinion

Post by velinion »

Got it running (after some slight problems with exult.cfg), and it seems to run fine, and starts up fine with the Keyring mod (although I havn't checked on any of the content added by the mod).

What it really seems to need is
a) A key configuring utility.
b) A way to enter text (For avatar name, and for save game names.)

It also seems impossible to select an avatar portrait currently.

System:
HP iPAQ hx2495
RAM: 64MB (usu. around 30MB available)
Processor: Intel 520 MHz Xscale (ARM 5 architecture)
Screen 2.5" 240x320 screen. (16 bit color)

Loading and saving are a bit slow, but that is probably because I have the game on an SD card. Moving to a Compact Flash card (device supports both) may help. I'll give that a try. I'm sure device memory would be faster still, but is a very limited resource.

Tried creating a bgdefaultkeys.txt, but so far have had no luck with it. Should it be in the exult directory on the device (with exult.cfg), or the exult directory on the card (with the exult program)?

If there is any way I can help this along, I'll be happy to give it a try.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

You need to tell Exult to use the file by editing "Exult.cfg". In the following example, "newkeys.txt" is what I changed the name of "bgdefaultkeys.txt" and SI is setup to use the default keys. The file is kept in the same directory as Exult.cfg is.

C:\Program Files\Exult SI BG Merge\u7

newkeys.txt

jmsfx.flx

C:\Program Files\Exult SI BG Merge\serpent

(default)

jmsisfx.flx
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Yeah, its SUPPOSED to be in there (bgdefaultkeys.txt), but I wasn't aware of the need until after creating the binary package. I thought it was just a text file describing what keys were set. Its a little misleading ... bgdefaultkeys.cfg.txt would of been a bit more appropriate. I don't like ending things in '.cfg' because for most PocketPC users, it makes it much more difficult to edit.

I'll get some of these things fixed tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thanks for the reports/suggestions guys, I appreciate it a lot!

IF there are any other suggestions, please let me know.
Thara

Post by Thara »

well, another suggestion :)

I'd like to assign some functions to my hardware keys, my device has 4 beside the directional keys, so they coud possibly mapped with inventory, combat, spellbook and keys. Another possibility would be some aditional icons for these functions on the screen...

Keep up the great work!
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

I thought it was just a text file describing what keys were set.

It is unless you tell Exult to use it instead of the default key setting by modifying "Exult.cfg". It is there as a template and example of how to set the file up for use.

I don't like ending things in '.cfg' because for most PocketPC users, it makes it much more difficult to edit.

I don't see how. If the file is an unknown type they can easily set it up to use wordpad, notepad, or another text editor. Even if it isn't, they should be able to right click and select the program they want to open it with. Once a program is opened by that method, that program will be sticked as a selection choice for that file extension, making it fairly easy to select.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Ignore the last comment. It is just an assumption that Windows CE has a similar feature as other windows OS.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

When I was doing it i made Exult look for a Exult.cfg.txt file so the file could be edited on the device itself easily.
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Colourless: GMTA ... I suppose I could write the code to check for an exult.cfg.txt first, then check for an exult.cfg....

Do you remember having an issue with it wanting to look for exult.cfg in the root directory as opposed to the CWD? If so, was there a specific way to write the path...or....what? I'm sure I'll solve it either way...pretty annoying.

Thanks!
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

PocketPCs don't have a concept of current directory if I remember. I think what I did was setup exult to grab the path of the executable and use that directory as the base for working out relative paths. Use the GetModuleFileName() Win32 function with the first argument set to NULL to get the path. With some code changes you can then get Exult to use that path as a base for any path that isn't absolute.

Functions youd want to modify would exult_main() (where you'd probably want to store a global variable containing the path of the exe) to get the EXE path name and then make sure that exult loads the CFG file from the right place. You'd probably also want to modift add_system_path() where you'd want to append the exe path to the beginning of any non absolute path i.e. any path that dosn't start with a / or \ character.
Mormeguil

Post by Mormeguil »

HTC Tytn and it works,

but when i open the keyboard the game rotates heads up, and some keys make it rotate again, keymapping would be nice:)anyway im playing SI
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Hello all,

I produced these targets seperately. The top one (WM5) is the one you may have downloaded yesterday. The bottom one is for Pocket PC 2003. I'll try to work on Pocket PC 2002. Please let me know if the Pocket PC 2003 does or does not work for you!

Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC (ARMV5T)
http://flipz.net/exult/exult-wm5-pocketpc-armv5t.zip

Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)
http://flipz.net/exult/exult-2k3-pocketpc-armv4.zip

I'll deal with other bugs tomorrow possibly.

Thanks for testing!
MagicMop

Post by MagicMop »

Hi there!

I have an hp iPAQ hw6515c running Windows Mobile 2003SE. The hw6515c unfortunately has a non-standard screen size - 240 x 240. When I try to run Exult I get the following in stdout.txt:

Couldn't set video mode (320, 240) at 8 bpp depth: No video mode large enough for 320x240

Is my problem fatal? *cry*

Thanks for all your excellent work by the way.

MM :)
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

If you edit the config file you will probably be able to set it to use 240x240 so the problem probably isn't fatal, but some parts of Exult may not work to well with the screen resolution being smaller than normal. The Save Game gump is 320x200 and will go off the edges of the screen. The original save game gump will probably work ok, but you will only be able to access that with a keybinding, rather than disabling the new one entirely (how to do this is in the Exult FAQ 3.16). The original savegame gump is also very limiting compared to the new one. Also, some gameplay elements might also appear off the edge of the screen too.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

Good news!! Looks like Exult is working for me!

But... Bad news, Exult can't seem to find where I put my Ultima7

I have been trying to change the path in exult.cfg, putting ultima7 into \SD Card\Ultima7 or \Flash ROM Disk\Ultima7; no matter where I put it, exult can't see detect where U7 is, and I can't figure out what's wrong.

Hope others have had better luck.
Quentin
MagicMop

Post by MagicMop »

Thanks for the info Colourless. I tried changing the res in exult.cfg file to 240x240 but now I get:

Black Gate : not found (.\static\endgame.dat)
exult_bg.flx : found
Serpent Isle : not found (.\static\sispeech.spc)
exult_si.flx : found
Couldn't set video mode (320, 240) at 8 bpp depth: No video mode large enough for 320x240

The first part of the error makes sense - I haven't actually transfered the data files to my memory card yet - I'll do that when I get home. The second part - about not being able to set the video mode - I assume that's because the initial Exult startup screen is in 320x240 regardless of the settings in the config? I'll have a fiddle and see if I can get it booting straight into the game rather than the Exult startup screen.

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks!

Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Ah you're probably right there. The exult menu is likely forcing startup to 320x240 for compatiblity reasons. I don't think there will be a way of doing it differently for now without code changes.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

You might be able to try adding the command line "--si" or "--bg". I can get it to go to smaller screen size that way on a normal pc. You need to edit exult.cfg to the resolution you need. 240x240 cut off sides of the screen for the intro but not in game. I was still able to see the avatar name and picture. You can get rediculously small screen sizes that way although I think it may still be 320x240 resolution.

An easy way to do this is to make a file named "exultbg.txt" and put the following text. After done editing the text change the file extension to bat. Then you can just double click it to start the game you want to play.

exult --bg

for SI you do the same thing except change "bg" to "si"

I would have responded earlier but I didn't think about it until colorless talked about the exult menu and I remembered that it was always in a different resolution than the game menu.
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

MagicMop,

When you see "Black Gate : not found (.\static\endgame.dat)", specifically the ".\static\endgame.dat" that almost definitely means that its not looking at your real exult.cfg. On the PocketPC version that is a bug where it tries to look for exult.cfg in the root dir...I created a workaround (sort of) where it would always look for exult.cfg in \Exult\exult.cfg

So, move your exult.cfg to \Exult\exult.cfg and it should be fine! No other files are REQUIRED to be in that directory.

Also, for the command line options they speak of, its not so easy to do on a pocket pc, plus its not desirable to have to do so. I'd recommend that you Google around on how to create a shortcut with command line arguments.

Glad to hear you're getting output from stdout.txt! Thats definitely a good sign!

Thanks!
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Mormeguil,

I have a HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125, specifically), so you and I are "in the same boat". I've been thinking about ways we can accomplish automatic keyboard mapping adjustment. Obviously SDL knows something is going on, because for me it rotates the screen (though that part doesn't work quite right...it reverts and the touch device doesn't work right...very weird).

Thanks for the bug report!
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Quentin ak,

Thats good news. I thought you might of been running Pocket PC 2002 (did a search for your device and it listed Pocket PC 2002). The problem most likely is that exult.cfg is not in \Exult\exult.cfg -- this is a temporary workaround for another problem as mentioned above.

Thanks!
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Timothy Alicie,

Is your device considered Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, Windows Mobile 5, Windows Mobile 6, or what? It sounds like Pocket PC 2002, but I just wanted to verify it with you first!

Thanks!
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Malignant Manor,

Heh :) You don't want to assume anything about any PocketPC device. Without any 3rd party software (correct me if I'm wrong, I'd LOVE to be wrong), you can't even change the extension on files, let alone see what it actually is. This may have changed in WM5 ... that would be nice. You also don't have any "right click" to my knowledge. Its a touch screen. To emulate right clicking in the game, I may have to make it so we can hold a button and then touch. That would be better than the dpad sometimes.
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Ok all,

TWO CHANGES (as far as the users are concerned)
1. Configuration file: exult.cfg now MUST be in the same directory as the executable
2. DPAD workaround/easy set: I've created a simple menu item in Exult (PocketPC only of course) that will allow you to switch between Portrait, Landscape1, and Landscape2 for the dpad. Its in "gameplay options". Portrait is the normal/default of course. Landscape1 is for if you turn the device to the right, and Landscape2 is for if you turn the device to the left.

Please download at the same locations as before (and as below). . .

http://flipz.net/exult/exult-wm5-pocketpc-armv5t.zip

Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)
http://flipz.net/exult/exult-2k3-pocketpc-armv4.zip

Thanks for testing!
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

working like a charm on my little Toshiba. Incredible work, Lanica!

eagerly waiting for the bugfix/features to enhance playability.

Many thanks, hat tipped
Quentin
MagicMop

Post by MagicMop »

With a bit of tweaking, its also working beautifully on my HP - 240x240 screen and all. Very happy. Thanks for your hard work - can't believe how fast you pulled it off. Big thanks to the rest of the Exult team for the amazing engine too!

I can't believe I used to have to depend on Nethack for my PocketPC RPG goodness. Now I've got the cream of the crop. :-D

Hazaah!

Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Thanks Quentin and MagicMop -- glad to hear its working!
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Hello all,

Downloads are now available for sourceforge (currently hidden):

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/exult/ ... 070620.zip

Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)

There was one feature added (and one bug fix):
Minimize - You can now hide/minimize Exult:
1. Open the Avatar's paperdoll
2. Click on the Disk icon
3. Click on Quit
4. Click NO
5. It'll ask if you want to minimize -- choose yes.

This option will be available elsewhere for easy access.
Mormeguil

Post by Mormeguil »

When i try to change from 2xsai to point exult exits, and has to be change on exult.cfg to 2xsai again or it will exit whenever you jorney onward or start a game after blue screen

Is the download locatioin for the new files down i cant download it?

Playing SI in HTC TyTn:)

Keep up the good work
breley

Post by breley »

I'd like to try this on my Dell Axim X51v, but the link is not working.
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

I apologize...I entered the links wrong...here they are corrected:

Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)

Thanks!
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

4 days is 3 days too long to have to wait for a release :) But this one is worth it, I'm pretty sure! :)

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/exult/ ... 070624.zip

Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/exult/ ... 070624.zip

New Features:
1. exult.cfg.txt can now be used instead of exult.cfg if you wish. Exult will check for exult.cfg.txt first, and if it exists, it will use it. If it does not exist, it will use exult.cfg (which will create exult.cfg automatically if it does not exist).
2. On-screen keyboard -- can be minimized (iconified really) and moved to the 4 screen corners. Please see the readme.txt file for additional details!

Bug fixes:
1. Minimize bug -- Screen would not get completely erased in certain PocketPC setups when the minimize feature was activated.

Thanks for testing! Feedback is appreciated!
Petrell

Post by Petrell »

Wouldn't it be better to post the files in downloads page along with other ports and files? Users may accidently download the wrong version with so many links in the topic.
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Obsibian -- Eventually...yes...there's still a lot more things that need to be done before it can be that "official" :)

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/exult/ ... 070626.zip

Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/exult/ ... 070626.zip

*** New Features ***
* PocketPC: Added keypad and hotpad keyboards
Keypad is basically the numpad on a normal keypad
Hotpad enables running and a few other nifty functions
Sularus

Post by Sularus »

Thanks for doing this, I was hoping for a Pocket PC version of Exult.

I have been using the 624 version on my Axim 51v and have the 640x480 screen problem that Thara has described above.

I was wondering if a fix is possible by multiplying the pointer input by Exult screen width / device screen width as appropriate. I am unfamiliar with exult code so I don't know if my suggestion is sensible or not.

Keep up the good work. I love the on-screen keyboard btw.
Lanica
Site Admin

Post by Lanica »

Petrell/Obsidian,

I've changed my mind...you are correct...the downloads section (in the unstable/CVS section specifically) would be a much better place.

From now on, I'll put the snapshots at:
http://exult.info/download.php

I'll post here whenever I update the download there.

I think I'm also going to start using sourceforge for the bug reports and feature requests...this forum is getting way too messy :) I wasn't quite expecting this amount of feedback :)

Thanks!