why Ultima X w/o Lord British might not be a bad thing

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
matt

why Ultima X w/o Lord British might not be a bad thing

Post by matt »

Ultima 9 pretty much sucked... It took me years to figure out what I liked so much about the Ultima games but I finally did... That "real world" feel, freedom to go any where and do goofy things (i.e. killing towns people in their sleep in Ultima 6). Ultimas 5-7 had great atmosphere and real world feel... Ultima 9 stripped too many of these things back (Britain had a population of like 12??). Graphics were good, but a realistic world would have been much better.... Who knows what EA can do with it? I don't even care what the story is if it attempts a living breathing "Ultima" world.

end of pontification
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Re: why Ultima X w/o Lord British might not be a bad thing

Post by artaxerxes »

by the way, are you happy to have EA WITHOUT Garriott doing Ultima X?

Because you title is "without LB might not be a bad thing" ~ "without LB might be a good thing".

Artaxerxes
fliptw

Post by fliptw »

U9 was a crap ulitma because EA forced it out the door.
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

hmm Ultima X will be a MMORPG, but with EA and without Garriott.

Tabula Rasa will be a MMORG, but without EA and with Garriott.

So ok lets think basically: Which game will be more Ultima-like?

hehe :D

Ok, and by the way Tabula Rasa has not its work title useless ;)
it WILL be a new MMORPG-experience. Garriott want to make a MMORPG just from the beginning, totally new.

And the facts, which are released already, go in this direction!
(party-adventures, central world, etc.)
------------------SIGNATURE--------------------
Is this virtuous?
Grimlock Dragon

Post by Grimlock Dragon »

Well, that, and also Ultima Online stripped U9 of its original production team. Frankly, I'm suprised it got out the door in as good of condition as it did. Alone, U9 is a fairly good game. It fails in that it is vaguely connected with previous Ultimas. It started out as a concise 'dream', and then was pulled apart by the new team into their 'dream.' For its time Ultima 9 was the cutting edge, but too much of Ultima's past was also left on the cutting room floor, or revisioned. This led to an unreal Ultima feel, because many things were different plotwise, and the player couldn't rely on his/her memory, but the story that was put forth in U9 (which wasn't a bad story, but still was not consistent with previous Ultimas).
Neo

Post by Neo »

Ultima X will not be an MMORPG, the Gamespot interview concluded very concretely Origin/EA will NOT release any games that compete with Ultima Online. If they are developing Ultima X (and the interview's response was a "no comment" in regard to that game) it will be primarily a single-player game, none of this pay-per-play bullshit.

- Neo
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

as far as my sources, it will be a MMORPG witch propably uses the Unreal Warfare Engine.

"Laut Gerüchten, die die Fansite UO Stratics in einem amerikanischen Spielemagazin aufgeschnappt hat, arbeitet Electronic Arts bereits seit über einem Jahr an Ultima X. Dabei soll keine Fortsetzung der Ultima-Reihe entstehen, sondern ein Online-Rollenspiel. Ähnlich wie Lineage 2 wird der Titel wahrscheinlich die Unreal-Warfare-Engine als Grafikuntersatz benutzen. Weitere Details sind nicht bekannt. " (gamestar.de)

bad translation by me: (only important content)
"The Fansite UO got rumors from an american game-magazine:
EA works on Ultima X for one year now, it will be no sequel to the original Ultima-serie, it will be a Online-RPG.
Similiar to Lineage 2 it will use the Unreal-Warfare Engine
Further Details are not public."
Is this virtuous?
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

This is a rumour that is rumoured to be an April Fools joke :-)
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

an april fools joke in May o_O
a little bit strange, hmm?
or am i totally wrong!? :D
Is this virtuous?
fliptw

Post by fliptw »

Ulitma X sounds like an expansion to UO, rather than an anything else.

EA is unlikely to go for another origin project that takes longer than 2 years to finish
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Thinking about what makes U7 a 'living, breathing world', I'd say it's a couple of things:

1. They put an enormous effort into creating scripts for nearly every possible object and action (the Usecode).
2. They did a large amount of coding for NPC 'schedules'.

These things could be done for any RPG.
Sergorn

Post by Sergorn »

Ultima X *is* a online RPG. It has been in develpment for almost two years now; under the codename "UO2.0". Don't expect EA to release another single player Ultima: they won't, specially after the flop that Ultima IX made - and their comment about not wanting to compete with UO don't mean anything; that's also what they said with UO2/UWOO "don't worry it's not competing with UO" - the thing is though is that no matter how hard they want to keep UO; they *have* to release a new MMORPG if they don't want to be overrun by their competitors.

As for Tabula Rasa, it will be an Online RPG, but *not* a Massively Multiplayer RPG. You can check out this (short) latest interview of Lord British at RPGdot. http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=601

-Sergorn
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

hmm, i know rumors that Ultima X IS NOT Ultima Online 2, which had been cancelled.

So Tabula Rasa is not a real MMORPG, but not a normal RPG with online part, too. It's something between... Because there is a center world where ALL players on the server meet, but also the adventures take part in extra worlds, where only a few human players are...
Is this virtuous?
Noviere

Post by Noviere »

Maybe I'm being naive, but after reading the piece at Gamespot, I'm really hoping the game will be a sequel to 9. I'm dying for a single-player Ultima. It's been soooo long since I was allowed to play a good one. Even if it is by EA :P

I miss Britannia. I want to become the next Avatar ;)
Neo

Post by Neo »

Maybe we return to Pagan in X? Wouldn't that be fun.

- Neo
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

If they wanted to revive the series, they could always try to contract with RG's company, or even hire back some of the seasoned Ultima developers like Ken Demerest.

I have a feeling, though, that EA is only interested in online games.
Jiles

Post by Jiles »

I hope it's a 3rd person action adventure game in the vein of BG:DA