Mac OS X Sound Issues (again)

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
aklarand

Mac OS X Sound Issues (again)

Post by aklarand »

Okay... so I've been around the bend on this one but I've done my due diligence and read all the docs and the FAQ.

I've been trying to get the digital music/digital sound effects running on OS X. Problem is, no matter what I do, from installing xiph-qt to making absolute pathways in the config file, will work.

I'm in a bind here. Any thoughts?
aklarand

Re: Mac OS X Sound Issues (again)

Post by aklarand »

Ummm... not to be awkwardly clueless but did I make a faux pas when I made this post?
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Not at all. It can take time before someone with knowledge of a specific problem posts a response. (especially relating to the OSX port)
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Getting the digital audio working...the only thing I really remember doing is installing xiph-qt and restarting the computer (yes, I had to reboot a Mac). Actually, there was one other thing and that was specifying the path to the music and sound fx files in exult.cfg.
Mar

Post by Mar »

Could you be more specific as to what you did, and what error you're getting?

Let me just go through the steps I take to get digital music to run:

(1) Create an exult 1.2 directory somewhere, and copy all the contents of the mounted Exult 1.2 disc into it

(2) Edit /Users//Library/Preferences/exult.cfg so that and both point to the correct Ultima7:BlackGate game directory, and the Ultima7:SerpentIsle directory

(3) If I double-click on exult now, Exult will start with all the normal menu options, but the white sound icon to the left of Black Gate is crossed out w/ a little red cross-out, and so is the white sound icon to the left of Serpent Isle

(4) Then I d/l the roland sqsfxbg.zip and the sqsfxsi.zip files

(5) I copy sqsfxbg.flx and sqsfxsi.flx into the exult/data directory

(6) Then I edit the exult.cfg file again, this time inserting the XML key and , and putting the appropriate sqsfxbg.flx and sqsfxsi.flx filenames in as key values, respectively

(7) Now when I double-click on exult, Exult will start just as before, but the white sound icon to the left of Black Gate isn't crossed out anymore

(8) When I start the game, I hear the roland digital music fine...is this not the case for you? Do you instead hear screeching from your speakers? What exactly are the symptoms?
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Roland digital music? Those sqsfx* files are sound effects packs. The music is OGG format and listed on the download page as Ogg encoded Music files for Exult Part 1/2.
Mar

Post by Mar »

You're right SB-X, my bad. So with the current setup right now, if I start the game, and then:

(8) hit "esc" to get the menu, click "audio," then click driver so that it says "digital," nothing will come out since the digital ogg files haven't been installed.

(9) create a directory in //data/music, and dump all the ogg files from "U7MusicOGG_1of2" and "U7MusicOGG_2of2"

(10) now when you start exult, start a new game, then hit "esc," "audio," and then driver so it says "digital" it should play the ogg files fine.

Do you not play music or sound? If not, can you try playing one of the *.ogg files manually and see if you can play it outside of exult? (by double-clicking on it, you can d/l VLC or Ogg drop for OS X if you need a program that will play the ogg files)
aklarand

Post by aklarand »

Sorry for the reply lag... I've been working on setting up my Mac on Leopard 9a466 so that might be the issue. *Not really sure but I'm pretty confident that CoreAudio is unchanged here.*

I'll poke at it a little later today with results.