2 U7 BG issues, one exult related, on possible.

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Steve Wood

2 U7 BG issues, one exult related, on possible.

Post by Steve Wood »

Sys specs:
T-bird 700 @ 748
SB Live Value
Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 64
WinME

Exult related: I get no sound except speech/midi music. I played U7 back in the DOS days and know there are supposed to be SOME sounds, is this an oopsie for Exult or a user oopsie who didn't download the sound files?

Possible: In Skarabre after caging the litch and using the potion the shades wake up but I can't talk to them and they don't move. The walkthrus say to bring Roella back to the smith and continue but I can't talk to her, nor does she move. I tried the music box again as well.
wjp
Site Admin

Re: 2 U7 BG issues, one exult related, on possible.

Post by wjp »

Sound: see the documentation, section 3.4

Skara Brae: try leaving the area for a while, and coming back later. If that doesn't fix things, could you submit a bug report with an attached savegame?
(bug tracker is at http://sf.net/bugs/?group_id=2335 )
Steve Wood

Post by Steve Wood »

Will read the sound file,

Will also leave Skara and return later, as well as supply savegame if it doesn't work. Thanks for the speedy reply. :)
Steve Wood

Post by Steve Wood »

Generally I hate to double post and I dare suggest to put this on a buglist.

I VERY quickly put the soul cage around Horace and the potion I'm guessing before 12:01. That worked, the shades remained. I went back to Trent and he talked to me asking that I bring him Rowena, I just went back to Rowena and she asked me to take her to Trent.

If you're interested I'll fill out a bugreport and include my savegame.

Downloading the sounds worked too. :D
Steve Wood

Post by Steve Wood »

Gonna go for three in a row! Apparently *snicker* my seance spell wore off, I tried talking to the Ferrycorpse and it didn't work. Note to everyone, recase seance after you get done with the soul cage and horace.
David O.

Post by David O. »

I had a really really similar set of problems with Rowena and the shades just sitting there when playing thru TBG the second time (the original code, not Exult.) I had to restore to a much earlier game. So I wouldn't rule out the game's internal scripts.
Michael `Wumpus' Z

Post by Michael `Wumpus' Z »

With regard to `seance' expiring... my observations suggest that in exult, it expires at midnight.... according to the `fellowship' book it should expire at dawn.... I'm not sure what happened in the original :|

I had a number of possible glitches in SB which i've been meaning to cross check with the original before grumbling about though... hope to do that tomorrow :-)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

about problem with Rowenna: I noticed this too but only when I played on higher res and wasn't next to Trent when I brought her back to him. Move her closer to Trent and then ask again.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Lukon

vegetable people

Post by Lukon »

i have noticed that in a variety of situations people go vegatable - the stand still and cannot be spoken to.

eg when you attack the king and come back later, or what you ressurect someone.

sometimes casting the tremor spell seems to get them moving again. I have no idea why, but there it is.
drcode
Site Admin

Re: vegetable people

Post by drcode »

I may have fixed some of those problems last night. The bug was that you weren't allowed to speak to NPC's that were in combat mode. I modified that so that you can speak to them if they're not 'hostile'.
Steve Wood

Post by Steve Wood »

I found something else which may be my fault. I went to the spherical generator with the enchanted hourglass, passed the red moongate and got to the moongates on the platforms. I can leave the first platform but can't get to any others using red or blue.

Issue is either a bug, or I went to the hidden area at the begenning in Trinsic by going behind the blacksmith's chimney, and iirc took all the prisms but left them behind in britain. To attempt rememedy I repeated many times, closed Exult and restarted it.

Another question which I didn't see on the FAQ and don't remember from when I played the DOS version, do the virtue stones need to be 'marked' indoors or should they be able to be marked outdoors. If the latter is true I've never been able to get it to work.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The virtue stones should be able to be marked anywhere at all.
Max aka Moscow Dragon

Post by Max aka Moscow Dragon »

Yes, but the virtue stone must be laying on the ground and not in the container for Mark to work.
Also Mark does not work while you're on barge (carpet or ship). It will just fizzle and spend reagents.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

as the mark/recall stuff is a question on Ultim7 in general I don't have this in the FAQ. i try to keep the FAQ/Docs stuff limited to new features and questions that came with Exult. For Ultima7 there are many sites and FAQs that do a way better job with it than i could ever do.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Steve Wood

Post by Steve Wood »

The mark stuff appears to like being cast indoors, and while off the barges and the like.

The cypherial generator is still a problem though, I go through the red gate to enter the sphere and the red gate as the first part of the puzzle but after that can't travel anywhere else.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

> but after that can't travel anywhere else.

What do you mean exactly?
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

wjp: Maybe this is an instance of the teleport bug you reported.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Yes, that was what I was thinking too.

Maybe we should make our target-finder a bit more intelligent?
Something like if the current target is too far away (8 chunks or so?), automatically try to find a closer one.
Steve Wood

Post by Steve Wood »

In the spherical generator one has to enter and they're on a platform with two moon gates, a red and a blue. If I enter the red I go to another platform but can't enter another moon gate. If I go through the blue I go to another platform but can't enter another moongate.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Could you submit a bug report with a savegame before entering the generator?

I've tried this several times, and the problem doesn't occur.
Steve Wood

Post by Steve Wood »

Certainly can! :)