How do I reset the game starting point with a mod?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Crowley

How do I reset the game starting point with a mod?

Post by Crowley »

Working on a mod and saving the altered files has also the effect that when I select to start a new game, it dumps me to where I last saved things in Exult Studio. How do I get the normal game beginning back? I've tried deleting/renaming initgame.dat in the mod's data folder, which does make a new game start as normal, but that has the side effect of also reverting all the changes to the map that are stored in ireg files to the way they are in the unaltered game.
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: How do I reset the game starting point with a mod?

Post by Dominus »

see viewtopic.php?p=652979#p652979 maybe it can be salvaged with the many steps that I outlined on december 29th last year.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

I managed to sort this out with a slight addition to the steps you posted. I snagged the clean initgame file, and then started my own mod in map editing mode. Then, while Exult and Exult Studio are running, I copied my backups of the altered ireg files over the mod's files, and then saved the map in Exult Studio. That seems to have made the changes stick.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Phew, glad you could save it! It's a sore spot in modding Exult...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Oof. Note to self, Dale. I continued to struggle with this.. not as a result of lack of help... but I truthfully got so frustrated it became really difficult to get back into it. I just feel too amateur. Hopefully this summer.
Thanks to both of you.