Creating new game with Exult

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
JustAnotherDragon

Creating new game with Exult

Post by JustAnotherDragon »

I'm Looking to put together a project to make a new game using the exult engine. I'm going after this light heartedly- but I would like to acomplish something. Looking for some people that want to give it a go and have fun too- we all have our lives to lead.

The idea for the game will be very tougne in cheek, funny but semi-serious. Let's just say the Villian is named Dos Coily.
JustAnother Dragon
-=(UDIC)=-
drcode
Site Admin

Re: Creating new game with Exult

Post by drcode »

Are you planning on doing original artwork (a fairly big job), or using the original U7 graphics?
Armchair_Avatar

Post by Armchair_Avatar »

If you're planning to create original artwork, how are you going to create it?
1) By making 3D models, rendering them in the proper perspective and retouching them with a 2D graphics program.
2) By drawing them in a 2D graphics program.
JustAnotherDragon

I will probably use 90% graphics that are already there. Building a new plot, conversations, usecode, etc is already a huge undertaking- I think using alot of the graphics that are already there or just tweaking them will be fine. I'm more focused on the plot and stuff- I suppose if someone comes along who wants to undertake that that's fine as long as it doesn't make the scope of the project unreachable.
JustAnother Dragon
-=(UDIC)=-
JustAnotherDragon

If I do create some original artwork it'll prolly be done in a 2d program since that's what I'm familiar with.
JustAnother Dragon
-=(UDIC)=-
ultima7-team

Post by ultima7-team »

Sound's Great. I allready greated my own ultima7 part 3 using graphic software. i actually also incorporated many of the people using a program called poser.

Visit Ultima7 at

WWW.ULTIMA7.COM

Post by Soule »

What is a good 3D program to use then?

Or rather, what is the recommended way?
(It would be good to have a simple tutorial on this..haha)
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

> Sound's Great. I allready greated my own ultima7 part 3 using graphic
> software. i actually also incorporated many of the people using a
> program called poser.

I created my own Ultima7 Part 4 using clay, sticks, and much love
cok

Post by cok »

I'd recommend 3DSMax5 (short for "3D Studio Max version 5"). It works great for quick modelling with a certain precision -- that is when you've finally figured out how to use it. Although it is "quick modelling", it still takes roughly 6-12 hours to do one character.

I've been using it for creating characters for a free online game called Furcadia (http://www.furcadia.com). Furcadia permits you to redefine the graphics, make your own maps, combine your own sounds / music, and do very simple scripting. After all of this is done, you can upload your "Dream" (i.e. your module) so that other players can just jump in and look around. The head people who made Furcadia used to be part of the Ultima 6 team.

If you've looked at other Ultima Reconstruction projects, you've probably noticed that quite a lot of projects involved making modules for the game Neverwinter Nights.

Heh. I digress yet again. Here is a sample of what 3DSMax5 can produce for me (http://www.shatterwind.com/~cok/furc/wy ... winged.gif)
Soule

Post by Soule »

That's beautiful! Do I have to use 5-6 hours to create somehting like U& sprites too?
cok

Post by cok »

5-6 hours if you're lucky! It took me over the course of 1 year (on and off) to figure out 3DSMax -- overall, it would probably took me 2 weeks if I would have played with it everyday. It is now taking me 6-12 hours to do one model, unless you're a professional modeller, I'd guess that it would also take you THAT long.

As for the conversion from 3D model to 2D sprites while keeping the 8-bit palette in consideration, it takes less than 30 minutes for 20 images. Why so fast? Because Photoshop7 has an "automate" function. :)

The image in the link listed in my previous post may appear to have weird colour definition -- the colour is strange because in Furcadia, the player's colours are customizeable (i.e. such as changing the colour of the player's bracers, boots, pants, shirts, etc.) This effect is possible (to a certain extend) with the use of 3DSMax5 and Photoshop7 -- any version lower may not be able to reproduce the effect.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Has anyone had success creating models using Blender?