SE + SI Fixes... Belt of STR not working ?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Francois424

SE + SI Fixes... Belt of STR not working ?

Post by Francois424 »

Hi guys, having finished Black Gate, I started a new game in Serpent's isle.

I toiled all day to finish the Silver Seed ASAP (and man is it hard when you do it right off the beginning). So I have all the goodies. However, I seem to remember the Belt of Strength giving +10str as in a real +10.

I have 30 base strength (Luther training rocks) but the Belt does not give anything now. In fact after testing, it does give +10str, but it wont let you exceed 30 strength anyways.

I thought, maybe it's my memory that's faulty and have been reading every single one of the guides and web pages about SI and every single one is saying that it just gives a plain +10... same for the gloves of dexterity (Iolo should've reached 34, he caps at 30).

So, is that a known bug? if so it's not in the bug tracker.
It's messing with my power-gaming OCD and I wanted to doublecheck before submitting a new bug. It's annoying...
Knight Captain

Re: SE + SI Fixes... Belt of STR not working ?

Post by Knight Captain »

30 is the limit. So give the Belt to Iolo.
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

You may be thinking of the Forge of Virtue where 60 STR is possible.
Francois424

Post by Francois424 »

Well I'm following someone's LP and he's going to come to that point eventually. He's playing the DOS version too. So whenever (if ever) he exceed 30str, I shall post the link in this thread.

I cannot give the belt to anyone as all my character now have 30 str. I would've trained their dex to 30 had I know of this... limitation. On the other end, I just opened the F2 menu and gave myself 40str, then put the belt in a desk somewhere in Monitor. Problem solved (I earned that +10 str damit !!! -- Haha).

The engine really don't have any issue with my Avatar having 40 STR either. It's not like it couldn't be changed in some version at a future date if so the Exult team decides to make it so.

Thanks for clarifying and have a great day.
-- Francois424, aka Enlightenment Dragon.
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

The original Silver Seed usecode has this limitation. It should be the same in DOS as well.
if (!gflags[WEARING_BELT_OF_STRENGTH])
{
wearers_strength = UI_get_npc_prop(container, STRENGTH);
max_strength = (30 - wearers_strength);
if (max_strength > 10)
max_strength = 10;

boost_strength = UI_set_item_quality(item, max_strength);
apply_boost = UI_set_npc_prop(container, STRENGTH, max_strength);
if (apply_boost)
gflags[WEARING_BELT_OF_STRENGTH] = true;
}
I think the 30 above could be changed to 60 to allow what you suggest.
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

The Belt's Quality is used to determine how much STR to remove when taking it off.
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Like KC said, your strength can't exceed 30 (with the exception of LB giving you a strength of 60 in The Black Gate).
The belt and the gauntlets simply bring your stats up to 30 if they are not already there.

It's still a useful item, since I don't think you can legitimately train yourself nor your friends to max stats.
And after certain events have taken place you can give the belt and gauntlets to an automaton or Petra to buff them up.
Francois424

Post by Francois424 »

True enough, it would fit well on an automaton.
And having known about that... limitation... I could've trained dexterity all the way on say, Iolo or shamino and compensate with the belt.

Oh well, I solved it with a quick F2 / NPC stat modification, and dumped the belt in a barrel somewhere =)
_________
Enlightenment Dragon